Automatics cuts out on inclines

Nissan

First Name
Nissan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So it looks like an Automatic JL has some issues with steep climbs. It cuts out like going into limp mode. Here is a video.

HEY
I know it's been a long time since you uploaded this post
Can you update what you did about it
Has Jeep released an update on the subject?
For me, the engine shuts off while climbing, even when I am in manual mode

Thanks
Sponsored

Nissan

First Name
Nissan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The phenomenon can be seen in the video

dhall0014

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Diesel
Is this happening on all JLs or just some. I just saw it questioned on a FB group. Also curious if there has been a fix or if this is something i should be prepared for.

dhall0014

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Diesel
HEY
I know it's been a long time since you uploaded this post
Can you update what you did about it
Has Jeep released an update on the subject?
For me, the engine shuts off while climbing, even when I am in manual mode

Thanks
What year is your JL and what degree grade when this is occurring.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
The only fix I’ve heard of is doing hills like this in “manual mode”.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Happened to me last night.
Guess it's still a "feature"

Was surprised, as coming from a manual I'd never experienced this issue.

I tried to recreate and see if it was something like a loss of oil pressure, but pressure reads 29-30 entire time....

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
I got into a situation like that a while ago, I'm pretty sure it was the BLD that was cutting power and it really screwed me over. I was trying to climb up a steep muddy hill and the terrain was extremely sloppy and it was raining:

Jeep Wrangler JL Automatics cuts out on inclines lQE56TM

Every time we got close to getting over the top, the BLD would kick in trying to do its thing but that would cut power and slow our momentum at the worst time when the hill was at its steepest. This was in 4L which has traction and stability control disabled. I kept reversing down and coming back with more speed and right at the worst time it would feel like stability control was cutting power (but its really the BLD 'stability control') and kill the momentum when we needed it. Backing down the hill and trying more and more gas was to no avail, it kept killing the power right when I needed it even though I was applying steady throttle and you could hear the brakes crunching/modulating.

I had to stack stones and branches for a good hour to get up the mud hill, but I would of been able to make it if the Jeep wasn't cutting power when I needed it in the mud. This is definitely a situation that I would of benefited from having lockers. I know the photo doesn't look like much, but trust me it was steep and the mud was almost up to the frame. I'm pretty sure this isn't just an automatic issue since manual Jeeps have BLD, but mine is an auto so I can't say.

Sponsored

james walters

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 jeep wrangler
yup - happened in the part-1 video to his buddy. and happened to him 2x in this part-2.

he said if you're going up a steep incline - every time I saw them when it happened, they were basically crawling something that was almost straight up - he would give it some gas, and midway through it "cuts off" for about a second (quick-second, so little less than thousand-one I would guess) and then continues - but during that second you feel like you have no power.

for all the climbing they were doing - I don't know if it will be a widespread problem or not. They seemed to come to the discovery that if you manually shift for steep inclines it doesn't happen - so it has something to do with the 8-speed I would guess.

I would think you'd want manual shifting doing that kind of climbing anyway, for a bit more torque control - but I'm definitely no expert.

my bet is it's something a future flash will fix
just read post of what happen to you not a good feeling . my 392 is having similar issues , it climbs good. but if its pretty much straight up and i stop on the hill/steep bank it will die , ive try it in manual and drive with or without lockers low or high range. scared myself . anyone got a fix?

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Probably worth complaining to jeep. Mine has done it a few times. Trans goes into park like the door is open... Which it isn't..
Bad news.. Especially when hanging off a ledge.. It seemed to happen when the jeep was slipping all tires and going backwards :)

Has anyone got any updates? I might call the problem in and see what they say.

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Ok I think I know why this is happening... Oil Pressure.. It only happens on steep inclines.. Though maybe declines as well. But mine cut out today on a 48 degree sketchy obstacle. On the semi plus side it's a warning that the angle is close to exceeding recommended specs..

Thoughts?

Spencer

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Following

2021 JLUR Automatic

Stalled on me today on this medium obstacle just using the D drive mode. Will try using manual mode tomorrow and see if anything changes.

Sponsored