Sponsored

Automatics cuts out on inclines

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
So it looks like an Automatic JL has some issues with steep climbs. It cuts out like going into limp mode. Here is a video.

Sponsored

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
yup - happened in the part-1 video to his buddy. and happened to him 2x in this part-2.

he said if you're going up a steep incline - every time I saw them when it happened, they were basically crawling something that was almost straight up - he would give it some gas, and midway through it "cuts off" for about a second (quick-second, so little less than thousand-one I would guess) and then continues - but during that second you feel like you have no power.

for all the climbing they were doing - I don't know if it will be a widespread problem or not. They seemed to come to the discovery that if you manually shift for steep inclines it doesn't happen - so it has something to do with the 8-speed I would guess.

I would think you'd want manual shifting doing that kind of climbing anyway, for a bit more torque control - but I'm definitely no expert.

my bet is it's something a future flash will fix

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Fortunately it looks/sounds like something that could be fixed in software. Glad I plan to get an MT though....

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
Fortunately it looks/sounds like something that could be fixed in software. Glad I plan to get an MT though....
This! Same here :rock:

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Is it possible some sort of traction control system is cutting power (mistakenly)?

Sponsored

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
This might be a stretch, but maybe some other system doing something? Did these guys do an ESS override with the trailer hitch? Maybe the incline thinks there is trailer sway, and it's reacting. I wondered about that system when I read people were overiding via the hitch wiring

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The only odd thing that's happened on mine so far is that once, while backing up slowly on an incline, the transmission went into park while the shifter was NOT in park and a message flashed on the screen that said "vehicle in auto park, please shift to park" or something like that. So I had to shift to park, then shift to drive.

Stupid computers.......

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
The only odd thing that's happened on mine so far is that once, while backing up slowly on an incline, the transmission went into park while the shifter was NOT in park and a message flashed on the screen that said "vehicle in auto park, please shift to park" or something like that. So I had to shift to park, then shift to drive.

Stupid computers.......
I think that's caused by the door not being completely shut

Sponsored

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito! Ram 1500 4X4
My JLUR engine didn't sputter, it just shut off completely, the dash was reading 30 degree incline. It forced me to put it in park and restart the engine, I was surprised and not pleased! I did restart it and it went up the hill two more times without incident. ...maybe it's jeep's way of saying "you sure you want to do this?"

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
My JLUR engine didn't sputter, it just shut off completely, the dash was reading 30 degree incline. It forced me to put it in park and restart the engine, I was surprised and not pleased! I did restart it and it went up the hill two more times without incident. ...maybe it's jeep's way of saying "you sure you want to do this?"
Good thing you didn't put it in neutral and roll backwards down the hill .