Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have experience with some automatic steps? Getting into my Rubicon is an issue for most (except for me), however, I'm gonna solve it soon maybe.

I'm specifically looking at these ones because they look like the will act like a running boards to stop all the debris from hitting my fenders and doors.

https://www.ariesautomotive.com/running-boards-side-bars/actiontrac-powered-running-boards

Also, have you seen any that can be installed with my stock rock rails on?
Sponsored

jvanloon

First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2022 JLURXR on Order
I'm using the rock slide engineering steps. They're auto steps that can be submerged and are strong enough to operate as sliders.

OP
OP
Jeeporama

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm using the rock slide engineering steps. They're auto steps that can be submerged and are strong enough to operate as sliders.
Have you had any issues? I've seen a few posts with them getting stuck open.

jvanloon

First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2022 JLURXR on Order
None so far. I wonder if people that had stuck open had the magnet move and not key the step. Who knows though.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Anyone have experience with some automatic steps? Getting into my Rubicon is an issue for most (except for me), however, I'm gonna solve it soon maybe.

I'm specifically looking at these ones because they look like the will act like a running boards to stop all the debris from hitting my fenders and doors.

https://www.ariesautomotive.com/running-boards-side-bars/actiontrac-powered-running-boards

Also, have you seen any that can be installed with my stock rock rails on?
Those are very nice.

I had AMP Research electric running boards installed on my Jeep a little over 3 weeks ago.

Sponsored

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm using the rock slide engineering steps. Function well, but once in a while the left side doesn't go down all the way and wiggles. I think it needs adjustment and will get to it soon.

They have a 12" drop I believe.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know, maybe I am just getting old but the RSE side steps make getting in and out of a lifted Jeep a none issue. If those motors are bulletproof and last 5 or so years, they will be worth the hefty price. I've had them for a few months and would recommend them also. I was visiting the RSE mfg facility and they said the same motor technology was being used in some "other" brand steps... not sure which though :like:

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
Rock slide engineering steps are tough but I’ve replaced several motors. The plus side is the no drill ones are fairly easy to install. Downside is that they are fairly heavy.

Amp research are great light duty steps and haven’t been as problematic as the rock slide engineering ones but the jk versions were a pita to wire to the doors properly because of the type of wire tap and the location of the wires that had to be tapped. Occasionally I would get a bad computer for the steps, which can be frustrating but customer service was always solid.

Bestop early jk steps all failed and would not suck up to the body evenly. They fixed that issue by connecting the step linkages and IMO they are actually better than amp now. Customer service was always exceptional. Hopefully something comes out for the jl soon if it’s not already out.

I haven’t put my hands on the Aires steps yet. They are definitely an innovative company so I am curious. I think the only issue I’ve had with Aires was powder coat flaws on bumpers but I honestly can’t remember so take that with a grain of salt.

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ
Rock slide engineering steps are tough but I’ve replaced several motors. The plus side is the no drill ones are fairly easy to install. Downside is that they are fairly heavy.
From what I understand, the new generation of JL RSE steps have improved on the JK ones, and so far they have worked great for me.

Sponsored

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
From what I understand, the new generation of JL RSE steps have improved on the JK ones, and so far they have worked great for me.
They have redesigned the motors several times in a handful of years. I hope they finally got it right. Cool steps.

OP
OP
Jeeporama

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
None so far. I wonder if people that had stuck open had the magnet move and not key the step. Who knows though.
Well from what I've seen, they weren't stuck open, they just wouldn't totally close flush, about a 1/2 inch open. Regardless for the hefty price tag, I really wouldn't expect failure so quickly (JL is not that old) and especially since just regular non-auto step would not have failures.
Sponsored