Automatic Sky One Touch

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
Hi all! I have a 2016 Sahara 75th Anniversary with the 3 piece hardtop. My lease is up in July of 2021 and I am trying to research now to think about what I want next. I was considering keeping what I have until someone rear ended me, even tho everything was fixed, I just don’t want to carry that with me. So I love the hard top but for me I think it is a pain to keep taking the freedom tops off, so I did purchase the aftermarket sun rider to takes its place so I can just open it and go. I do like the hard top for the winter tho. I’m curious on the new one touch, if anyone has it and if they can tell me if they like it or not and if they have any issues with it. I was also thinking about just getting a soft top so it’ll be easier to just open everything up because I’m embarrassed to say that in the 4 years I had my Jeep I’ve yet to be totally topless!! Infact this summer was the first time I took all my doors off and OMG I can’t believe it took me that long! It was so freeing!! Lol!! So many decisions! Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Ive had both soft top and hardtop. I would never consider the sky one touch.

The soft top is super nice, very easy to take on/off. I really liked I would go somewhere with the top on and then feel like going topless, boom easy. But it is unpractical for all other purposes.

I now have a hardtop and I like it better. It is just more practical, I have a 2 door and need extra cargo space so needed a roof rack. So for what I use my jeep the hardtop is more practical. The freedom panels are nice and offer a somewhat open air feel whenever you feel like it. I do like getting the jeep naked sometimes, so I have a toplift pro for that.

I dont think the sky one touch is worth it. The upper part is all soft and you cant get the jeep naked. That classic naked jeep look cannot be achieved with the sky one touch. It just doesn't look like a jeep and looks awkward with the back panels off.

OP
OP
RoxyBoxer

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
Ive had both soft top and hardtop. I would never consider the sky one touch.

The soft top is super nice, very easy to take on/off. I really liked I would go somewhere with the top on and then feel like going topless, boom easy. But it is unpractical for all other purposes.

I now have a hardtop and I like it better. It is just more practical, I have a 2 door and need extra cargo space so needed a roof rack. So for what I use my jeep the hardtop is more practical. The freedom panels are nice and offer a somewhat open air feel whenever you feel like it. I do like getting the jeep naked sometimes, so I have a toplift pro for that.

I dont think the sky one touch is worth it. The upper part is all soft and you cant get the jeep naked. That classic naked jeep look cannot be achieved with the sky one touch. It just doesn't look like a jeep and looks awkward with the back panels off.
Thanks!! Yeah I feel like for me a soft top would be convenient and easier to go topless. I would consider doing hard and soft top but we don’t have a lot of room to store the hard top. I say having both hard and soft because if you had just the hard top and you were out and about and it was raining that would suck!

Sponsored

TGjlu20

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I have the one touch and think it is great. We got it more for the convenience of the wife opening it easier and I'm really glad we did. It's like 20 seconds and your topless (or open top). So far (knock on wood) no water leaks here in the heavy summer Florida rains. I don't dislike the other tops, but this thing is REALLY convenient. Check it out at dealer and make up your mind.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks!! Yeah I feel like for me a soft top would be convenient and easier to go topless. I would consider doing hard and soft top but we don’t have a lot of room to store the hard top. I say having both hard and soft because if you had just the hard top and you were out and about and it was raining that would suck!
Speaking of practicality, you have to consider the weather where you live, too.

I lived in Los Angeles for 20 years; it is a lot easier to live with a soft top there than it is here in Washington State. I wouldn’t live with just the soft top here: it gets dark for 3-4 months of the year; constant rain and precipitation render seeing through the back curtain impossible; snow and ice tend to crackle and damage the window curtains. I imagine the weather in PA is more like here in Washington State. There’s also the element of security: soft tops are highly vulnerable; I wouldn’t have a soft top if I had to park it on the street in a large city.

I agree with @entropy : the One Touch is VERY expensive; it is hard to justify its cost. However, if you can afford it, and you really like the benefits of the soft top but are concerned about its drawbacks, One Touch appears to be a happy medium.

Personally, I like the removable panels. I think they give the Jeep a cool look and feel; reminds me of the pillar-less hardtop coupes and sedans of the 1950s and 1960s. Especially, if FCA ever decides to bring out the half doors it’s been teasing us with for the past three years. Of course the cost of One Touch + half doors alone is going to approach that of a well-kept Jeep YJ...

Jeep Wrangler JL Automatic Sky One Touch 001-200712-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-concept

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Just an observation that the people that actually have the one-touch recommend it and the people that don't don't.

SCOFF44

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I love mine. I didn't really seek it out, but can't imagine not having it now. My wife has a 2018 without it and is always trying to talk me into swapping Jeeps :D

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Just an observation that the people that actually have the one-touch recommend it and the people that don't don't.
Quite true! We love ours, and would definitely get it again.

Here are several threads on the topic:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/sky-one-touch-power-top-owners-poll.27617/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/sky-one-touch-roof-yes-or-no.34218/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/sky-one-touch-vs-sunroof.49055/

Sponsored

OP
OP
RoxyBoxer

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
I have the one touch and think it is great. We got it more for the convenience of the wife opening it easier and I'm really glad we did. It's like 20 seconds and your topless (or open top). So far (knock on wood) no water leaks here in the heavy summer Florida rains. I don't dislike the other tops, but this thing is REALLY convenient. Check it out at dealer and make up your mind.
Yeah I definitely think I would love it and yeah I definitely will go check one out at the dealer. Watching the video and seeing that the whole Jeep frame isn’t exposed like it is with the hard top and the soft top, meaning that the back corners aren’t able to be completely open but honestly after I’ve experienced all the doors off, that may be enough for me. I really like the aspect of not having to store the top anywhere and being caught out in the rain naked without any cover. Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
RoxyBoxer

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler

I lived in Los Angeles for 20 years; it is a lot easier to live with a soft top there than it is here in Washington State. I wouldn’t live with just the soft top here: it gets dark for 3-4 months of the year; constant rain and precipitation render seeing through the back curtain impossible; snow and ice tend to crackle and damage the window curtains. I imagine the weather in PA is more like here in Washington State. There’s also the element of security: soft tops are highly vulnerable; I wouldn’t have a soft top if I had to park it on the street in a large city.

I agree with @entropy : the One Touch is VERY expensive; it is hard to justify its cost. However, if you can afford it, and you really like the benefits of the soft top but are concerned about its drawbacks, One Touch appears to be a happy medium.

Personally, I like the removable panels. I think they give the Jeep a cool look and feel; reminds me of the pillar-less hardtop coupes and sedans of the 1950s and 1960s. Especially, if FCA ever decides to bring out the half doors it’s been teasing us with for the past three years. Of course the cost of One Touch + half doors alone is going to approach that of a well-kept Jeep YJ...

Jeep Wrangler JL Automatic Sky One Touch 001-200712-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-concept
Awe man that’s sweet looking!! Yeah I definitely don’t like the vulnerability of the soft top for sure. Decisions decisions!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

001-200712-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-concept.jpg
I personally prefer a Jeep look:

Jeep Wrangler JL Automatic Sky One Touch JeepCover

Jeep Wrangler JL Automatic Sky One Touch IMG_20200806_131407386

Jeep Wrangler JL Automatic Sky One Touch IMG_20200803_180238000

But man, wouldnt it be nice to pull the top all the way back with the push of a button? And keep most of the benefits of a hard top.

How did they remove the back window on the V8 concept?

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
I’m a HUGE fan! I‘ve owned 3 JKs with vinyl soft top, premium soft top, Trektop NX, and Trektop Pro Hybrid, and I can say without a doubt that I’m more open air now with the One Touch than I’ve been in the last three JKs combined. A previous poster mentioned that weather is a consideration. For me, it’s THE consideration. If I lived somewhere warm and dry (Southern CA, AZ, etc.), I’d go premium soft top all the way and just leave it down 90% of the time. But I live in Southern FL where, in the summer, it’s sunny every morning and thundershower every afternoon for 1-2 hours. The weather changes on a dime too. Torrential downpour on one side of the street and sunny on the other side. So, the One Touch has been awesome for where I’m at and the weather I deal with.
Sponsored