Sponsored

Automatic / LunchBox Lockers for High Tide / Willys Builds with Xtreme Recon 35" Package

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Can you explain why in general an automatic locker will not work with the FAD? My understanding is the automatic locker will cause the front-drive shaft to spin, but will not "engage" because the two front wheels are automatically disconnected in 2WD. This would be a similar situation to locking hubs, or in setups like the earlier-model YJ's that also had a FAD in the front (albeit not electronic). When in 4WD, the automatic locker will operate as it normally should (lock when torque is applied, and allow the wheels to "slip" when in turns).
What he said.

Back 20 years ago this was the poor man’s selectable locker. Early xj d30 with FAD and cable actuator. Add lunchbox.

The spinning in 2wd is really nothing big. The only reason FAD was reintroduced was to meet fuel mileage requirements.
Sponsored

ZBRA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SJ Cherokee, SJ Gladiator, JKU, & JL
I wish we had old school locking hubs. Those are much more fuel efficient when in 2 Wheel drive! With those, the only thing spinning is a short bit of metal right at the hub. Prop shafts, differential, spider gears and shaft to transfer case are all stopped. No rotational inertia. Yippee.
Agreed! CJ owners had these for years. Problem is the average modern Jeep buyer is more concerned about heated steering wheels and paint matched hard tops. Those people would never be able to figure out why their 4-wheel drive isn't "turning on" and even if they could, they would be appalled at the idea of stepping out the vehicle to engage anything "manually". The antiquated locking hub system is strong, reliable, and more fuel efficient than than even the current FAD system.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Obviously a few people here who have not experienced the dilemma of choosing between insufficient caster or front driveshaft vibes. There’s more benefit from the FAD than just some minuscule mpg difference. But hey, it’s your rig, throw a lunchbox in there if you want to.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Obviously a few people here who have not experienced the dilemma of choosing between insufficient caster or front driveshaft vibes. There’s more benefit from the FAD than just some minuscule mpg difference. But hey, it’s your rig, throw a lunchbox in there if you want to.
Somehow every 392 and any JL with the auto transfer case are surviving.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Somehow every 392 and any JL with the auto transfer case are surviving.
Stock. And with CV’s.

Go ahead and install anything you like, it’s not gonna impact me. LBL, FAD delete, spool, it’s all good. I don’t have to drive it.

I suggest any inexperienced reader do some due diligence before installing a LBL. Or anything other than an open diff or selectable locker for front applications. There WILL be side effects.

That said, carry on the discussion without me. Endless arguments are a waste of time and not my thing.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Zipzit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 4x4 Wannabee

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Stock. And with CV’s.

Go ahead and install anything you like, it’s not gonna impact me. LBL, FAD delete, spool, it’s all good. I don’t have to drive it.

I suggest any inexperienced reader do some due diligence before installing a LBL. Or anything other than an open diff or selectable locker for front applications. There WILL be side effects.

That said, carry on the discussion without me. Endless arguments are a waste of time and not my thing.
lol, cuz nobody’s driving around listed 392s?

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Tide
Occupation
US Merchant Marine Master, 100T
Vehicle Showcase
Reminder: FAD = Front Axle Disconnect.

On the current JL, the FAD disconnects the passenger side prop shaft. In two wheel drive, that means the driver side prop shaft (driven by the driver side front tire) is spinning, the spider gears are spinning, and the short half passenger side prop shaft (between the diff and the FAD) is spinning. The other half of the passenger prop shaft is spinning with the passenger front tire.

What's not spinning is the spider gear carrier and the shaft between the differential and the transfer case. Those are pretty big pieces of metal, and rotational inertia (for nothing) hurts fuel economy.

I wish we had old school locking hubs. Those are much more fuel efficient when in 2 Wheel drive! With those, the only thing spinning is a short bit of metal right at the hub. Prop shafts, differential, spider gears and shaft to transfer case are all stopped. No rotational inertia. Yippee.

You could lock the Front Axle Disconnect as engaged to run lunchbox lockers, but that's sorta dumb. You'd be spinning everything unnecessarily in 2 Wheel Drive. That's just dumb by my account.

And one more little piece here.. Nobody offers a lunchbox locker for Dana M210 Wide HD Tube Front Axle (Dana 44 Differential) and Dana M220 Wide Rear Axle (Dana 44 Differential). Dana 30 yup. Modern Dana 44. Nope.

Once you understand the entire systems design, powered on/off lockers just make more sense.

I will say, I'm still improving my skills in driving...

Here is a recent ride in the new Jeep (no lockers... limited slip rear only)...

https://dogfeatherdesign.com/Extras/HighTideDitch.mp4
Great climb video, nicely driven and good video work. I have a 2022 JLUHT with XR and have found it also to be quite a climber, even in mud. When we shift to 4-L that shuts off our electronic stability control but I understand that our brake limited differential (BLD) always stays on. As you climbed the hill I expected slip on one of your front wheels with that open, no locker M210 Wide HD axle but saw none. I saw the same in mud. I am thinking that is BLD at work, both front and rear, complementing the M220 Wide rear axle with Trac-Lok. What do you think?

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Tide
Occupation
US Merchant Marine Master, 100T
Vehicle Showcase

Jason_VB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
What are some of the negative side effects we should be aware of?
Sponsored