Sponsored

Automatic charge port door

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
Ok, so having gone from a Tesla to the 4xe, i'm really missing the automatic closing charge port door. On the tesla, you just pull out the charger, and the charge port automatically closes. On the 4xe, you pull out the charger, insert the little rubber gasket, then close the door. Doesn't seem like a lot of work, but I can't tell you how many times i've been distracted with the kids hanging up the charger plug and driven way with the charger door open and gasket hanging out.

Really hoping some 3rd party can solve this problem - if there was a way to spring load the access door and put a gasket onto the door itself so that you don't need the little plug, it would make the process much easier.

Here's hoping someone comes up with a solution... any other ideas?
Sponsored

OP
OP

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
For those of us who are coming from ICE vehicles it's as natural as putting the gas cap on and closing the door. 😉
Except that gas I fill up a couple of times per month, the charger I'm plugging/unplugging daily, so easy of use is more critical.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Ok, so having gone from a Tesla to the 4xe, i'm really missing the automatic closing charge port door. On the tesla, you just pull out the charger, and the charge port automatically closes. On the 4xe, you pull out the charger, insert the little rubber gasket, then close the door. Doesn't seem like a lot of work, but I can't tell you how many times i've been distracted with the kids hanging up the charger plug and driven way with the charger door open and gasket hanging out.

Really hoping some 3rd party can solve this problem - if there was a way to spring load the access door and put a gasket onto the door itself so that you don't need the little plug, it would make the process much easier.

Pretty sure that's not the only thing you would be missing, coming from a Tesla.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
First world problems :LOL:
Congratulations on getting your 4xe!:rock:
I highly doubt the aftermarket will ever make an atuomatically closing charge port door for the JL...

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I've forgotten to close mine a few times. It feels like getting caught with your zipper down.

I imagine coming from a Tesla must be hard from a tech side. Uconnect alone must seem like a system from 1995.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe

Agree on the rubber plug thing.
All my other plug-in vehicles have a gasket seal around the door. All are manual doors though. The early styles are some weird rotating disks that rotate out of the way. The later styles are just normal style fuel filler doors. My Mach-E has a huge Dumbo ear type door. It kinda gets in the way actually.

A friend of mine has a Tesla and says that motorized door has been repaired a few times. I think something like that on a Jeep is asking for problems. The manual open/close function shouldn't ever be affected by the off road driving conditions so it makes sense to avoid a motorized system on this vehicle.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Yep, first world problems. I do like the idea of integrating the plug cap with the fuel door.

Though, I would like to see a few improvements:

1. Add a small LED "night light" to charge port - sometimes it's hard to actually see the port at night, since the charge port is black, the plug is black, and the charging cable I'm using... is also black.

2. if you can't integrate the plug with the door.... change the plug design so it's more intuitive which side is "up". I've wasted a least a few minutes fumbling with the damn thing trying to remember which side is actually up. The vertical edges need added texture to improve grip when wearing gloves or oily hands.

3. Idiot light in cabin - I've been distracted and have forgotten to close the fuel door a few times. Feels absolutely silly to be halfway into my drive, and seeing the damn plug flapping away against the door.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
I've run into the equivalent of this a couple of times ...

Jeep Wrangler JL Automatic charge port door 1620679189188
Yes!

Exactly this. They could idiot proof it by making the grab area T shaped or L shaped. Use some shape which has a definite "correct" up position, determined by feel alone.

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Yep, first world problems. I do like the idea of integrating the plug cap with the fuel door.

Though, I would like to see a few improvements:

1. Add a small LED "night light" to charge port - sometimes it's hard to actually see the port at night, since the charge port is black, the plug is black, and the charging cable I'm using... is also black.

2. if you can't integrate the plug with the door.... change the plug design so it's more intuitive which side is "up". I've wasted a least a few minutes fumbling with the damn thing trying to remember which side is actually up. The vertical edges need added texture to improve grip when wearing gloves or oily hands.

3. Idiot light in cabin - I've been distracted and have forgotten to close the fuel door a few times. Feels absolutely silly to be halfway into my drive, and seeing the damn plug flapping away against the door.
All 3 are good suggestions and very reasonable request. Jeep can make it happen on future generations. My daily driver has #1 and #3. #2 is covered by having a seal around the door and it works great.

MaTeZZ

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe
I went from Tesla M3P to 4xe Sahara, and yes, Tesla is a master of convenience. That said, the extra few things I have to do now are greatly outweigh by the jeep being jeep - the ruggedness, open top, etc.
Sponsored