Sponsored

Autoblog article: "2018 Jeep Wrangler Buyer's Guide: Answers to your SUV questions"

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Another article that while fine for the masses, is written by less than experts on the Jeep subject matter than some of us (and that doesn't include myself) are.

First off, stop referring to the Wrangler by the model year. There were two Wrangler products in 2018, the JK and the JL, be specific.

Take this passage for example:

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has not given the 2018 Jeep Wrangler an overall safety rating. However, the 2018 Wrangler is listed as scoring three out of five stars in frontal crash tests and rollover resistance."

Who listed the "2018" with 3 of 5 stars? Was it the NHTSA, and was it on the JK or the JL?

(Yes, I know the JL wasn't rated yet, but the public likely doesn't.)

"Ratings may differ for Wrangler models from other model years, "

Ratings may differ for Wrangler models from the same model year (2018 JK and 2018 JL). I wonder if the author even realizes the JK and JL offerings in 2018. His writing, in its failure to clarify, suggests that he/she doesn't--and IMHO, if you don't know even such basic information, you best not write an article about a vehicle.

True: for a non-expert writer and reader, the article's fine. But are you really answering ALL (our) questions the 2018 Wrangler.

Where's the soft top window storage bag? Wait, don't answer author. It's a trick question. If you didn't ask back, "the JKs or the JLs?" you failed. And if you have an answer to the JL's status, you may know more than FCA.

Plugs though for taking issue with how reliability issues (JD Powers) are rated. I feel the same way about collision. I don't think the Wrangler is near as subject to rollover from side impact as people claim, not the least of which reasons being its height, and I don't think you can or should compare rollover (always wear your safety belts) in a Wrangler which has a Sports cage (fair reporting: I didn't say rollover cage because it's not made to that standard) to rollover in a sedan or other SUV.

Wranglers have done 360 barrel rolls and been driven away barring scratches (not that I either recommend such maneuvers or don't realize worse has resulted from them). I don't think that's the case on most other vehicles.

Its unsafe: drive your Lexus into a campsite emergency rescue situation. See how safe that will be.