Auto transmission service?

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
I was told by the service advisor at the jeep dealer today the the auto trans for the diesel doesn't need a service. Has lifetime oil. How long is a lifetime.....lol. From what I researched was the actual filter was built into the pan, which is around $350.
Just seems sketchy to me not to do a service, but I'm an old guy......lol
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I’ve never done transmission service before even when I probably should have. I like these Jeeps though so have pondered this as well. Some videos online show how to do it but the “when” part is still a question for me.

Tmarshallg78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
I had a grand cherokee diesel back in 2015 that had a pan with built in filter but the pan was plastic. I looked under my 2021 wrangler diesel and the pan looks like metal so I think the filter and pan may be seperate. I plan on doing a tranny service on my 2021 at around 40k miles(filter and fluid). I did one on my grand cherokee at around 40k miles also.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Can't imagine you'll ever need to service it considering the tow rating on the diesel is the same as the gasser. Towing is usually what toasts a trans. Cracking it open to mess with it is probably the worst thing you can do to it.

Ran a 6.7 F350 for 7 years over 100k and never touched the transmission...can't imagine the Jeep needs anything at all.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice find!
Spoiler alert - That thread had a ZF manual listing 150,000 km (~93,000 Miles) as the service interval or earlier for severe duty.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Even though manufacturers say it’s lifetime, it is better to see what the transmission designer says and ZF definitely has a service interval for the ZF8.

And also, normally the ZF8 transmission has a filter that is built into the pan and you replace the whole pan when changing the transmission fluid. However, the JL has a slightly different design. Since the pan on the JL is metal, the filter is not built into the pan and is instead a separate piece that bolts onto the pan. You buy the new filter and you bolt it on your existing metal pan when servicing the transmission.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
The Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen 8HP transmission has a service interval of every 8 years or 80,000 kilometers (50,000 miles) whichever comes first. This is as per ZF 8HP factory service manual.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Nice find!
Spoiler alert - That thread had a ZF manual listing 150,000 km (~93,000 Miles) as the service interval or earlier for severe duty.
This is the 8HP75?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen 8HP transmission has a service interval of every 8 years or 80,000 kilometers (50,000 miles) whichever comes first. This is as per ZF 8HP factory service manual.
Yes, don't believe any of that "lifetime fluid" BS. Sure a transmission can last longer than the warranty if you don't service it, but if you plan to keep it longer than that I would for sure get it serviced, and 50k seems reasonable. And paying it forward even if you don't plan to keep it forever so the next owner has a longer lasting transmission seems like a Jeep thing to do too!

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Yes, don't believe any of that "lifetime fluid" BS. Sure a transmission can last longer than the warranty if you don't service it, but if you plan to keep it longer than that I would for sure get it serviced, and 50k seems reasonable. And paying it forward even if you don't plan to keep it forever so the next owner has a longer lasting transmission seems like a Jeep thing to do too!
Right on Brad!! That's just how I think in regards to my vehicles. Unfortunately the trend seems to be getting a new vehicle after the warranty runs out. And most don't care what happens after it's sold.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The ZF in the F150s claims lifetime. Many will have quirks at close to 100k. In many instances a service will solve the issues, but other times a lead frame may fail. BMWs with the nearly same transmission as F150s have a recommended 100k mile service interval. I go with 50k intervals as I don’t just loaf around on back roads at 45 MPH. Off road driving, dusty environment constitutes severe use.

The ZF8 is better in every way, but should still be maintained. Cheap insurance.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
ZF is a big customer of ours. I am often in Germany at their plants on various projects. One of these is where the ZF transmissions are built for many of the OEM customers (FCA builds their own under license from ZF but many just OEM them from ZF). I am actually on my way to Germany next week for 12 days unless COVID regulations change and prevent the trip.

Over Friday night beers I asked one of the lead technicians the question "How often should I change the transmission fluid on my Jeep?"

His answer:

You should check before the warranty has expired for dirty fluid. If dirty fluid get the transmission repaired before your warranty has expired.

If the fluid is clean you are good for 150,000km when you should check it again. As long as the fluid is clean you do not need to change it.

If the fluid is dirty it means a problem causing clutch wear and transmission needs to be diagnosed and serviced.

Take into account Europeans are much more environmentally aware which means fluids don't get replaced if not required - they get checked and replaced if required.
Sponsored