Auto Transmission Coolers

heamick

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Has anyone installed a auto transmission cooler? My Trans show temps of 215 going up a
slight grade. The OEM cooler is a fin design and does not do a very good job
Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Iā€™m also interested in this, so letā€™s resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one. Anyone installed one yet? Iā€™m thinking with my new 37ā€s, this fancy tranny will be working that much harder.

Golfshrink

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, ā€˜07 Toyota FJ Cruiser & 1968 IH Scout 800
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m also interested in this, so letā€™s resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one. Anyone installed one yet? Iā€™m thinking with my new 37ā€s, this fancy tranny will be working that much harder.
Also following this topic...interested due to towing and impact on the 8 speed auto.

Zombie crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Comanche, 240sx, grand Cherokee
Mine was over 215 a lot during the summer and to me thats just not right. Very interested in a cooler set up but cant seem to find any.

slater dennis

First Name
dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler JLU rubicon
Has anyone installed a auto transmission cooler? My Trans show temps of 215 going up a
Yes I installed this one see pic. It comes with a fan and keeps my temps well under 200 in and condition.
Jeep Wrangler JL Auto Transmission Coolers 5ECB8C33-12A5-4651-BE34-ED5482059611

Sponsored

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
Also following this topic...interested due to towing and impact on the 8 speed auto.
I am interested as well, Have always used a remote cooler on older trucks with a remote spin on trans filter as well. On the older trans. a 20' or 30' deg. drop in temp. would double it's life span so they say .

OP
OP

heamick

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

OP
OP

heamick

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spoke to a Jeep Engineer, they are not concerned. I put a stacked trans cooler on my jl. it made no difference, the trans, has a thermostat internal, so no matter what we do the thermostat will control. FCA makes this trans in the USA under license from ZF in Germany.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I spoke to a Jeep Engineer, they are not concerned. I put a stacked trans cooler on my jl. it made no difference, the trans, has a thermostat internal, so no matter what we do the thermostat will control. FCA makes this trans in the USA under license from ZF in Germany.
So, why is the thermostat keeping the temps above 200? Is there a different thermostat that can be involved? Also, I'm not familiar with tranny thermostats, just radiator thermostats.

OP
OP

heamick

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, why is the thermostat keeping the temps above 200? Is there a different thermostat that can be involved? Also, I'm not familiar with tranny thermostats, just radiator thermostats.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
"FCA makes this trans in the USA under license from ZF in Germany."
ZF is hands down one of the best, if not the best, manufacturers of transmissions in the world.
As for the questions about internal transmission thermostats, they would be in place to keep the oil at the correct operating temperature from a viscosity standpoint.
Disc wear is dependent on the composition of the transmission oil, not its temperature.
Sponsored