Auto Transmission blew at 750 miles!

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Pulled out of my driveway and the Rubi jerked and died. I started it back up and she ran okay. I drove down my street and two blocks later she jerked hard! I turned around, parked and shut it off. Got out and noticed a droplet trail running out into the street. Called Jeep Road Assistance and then back to the Jeep to find about one to two cups of transmission fluid puddling on the ground!
She's now at the Jeep dealer...with only 750 miles on it.

I had taken a 200 mile drive last week...checked my garage floor...no trace of any fluid. So I was lucky she blew in my driveway!

Addenda: I should have also mentioned that when we got to the dealer, the Jeep began to leak gasoline from the rear.
I checked my driveway where the wrecker hooked up the Jeep..no trace of gas leak. So she developed a gas leak on the journey to the dealer to have the trans leak looked at.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bleep

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 FIESTA!
Damn, I feel your pain.

1890 miles before my manual transmission gave out.

Keep us updated.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Hopefully just a bad pan gasket. I remember reading someone else had this problem on the forum.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Pulled out of my driveway and the Rubi jerked and died. I started it back up and she ran okay. I drove down my street and two blocks later she jerked hard! I turned around, parked and shut it off. Got out and noticed a droplet trail running out into the street. Called Jeep Road Assistance and then back to the Jeep to find about one to two cups of transmission fluid puddling on the ground!
She's now at the Jeep dealer...with only 750 miles on it.

I had taken a 200 mile drive last week...checked my garage floor...no trace of any fluid. So I was lucky she blew in my driveway!

Addenda: I should have also mentioned that when we got to the dealer, the Jeep began to leak gasoline from the rear.
I checked my driveway where the wrecker hooked up the Jeep..no trace of gas leak. So she developed a gas leak on the journey to the dealer to have the trans leak looked at.
The gasoline leak is what worries me most ; that's dangerous . Any word on what was leaking gasoline ? There have been other posts about a gas leak and a fuel leak .

Sponsored

OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No word yet from the service department about either the transmission or the gas that poured on the floor. What surprised me the most is that when I pointed out the puddle of gas, the service people were not worried. It seemed as if this happened more than this once. It appears that the gas had been leaking already and the tank skid plate had caught it. When the wrecker driver removed the rear bogey wheels...that tilted the Jeep slightly more and the gas poured out of the plate. I now wonder if the gas had been leaking for a while and had been dumping on the roadway. Sitting in the service bay gave the gas time to accumulate.

OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It appears that the gas leak developed while the Rubi was being towed in for the broken transmission. The gas seems to have pooled beneath the tank on the tank skid plate. When the tow truck driver lifted the Jeep to remove the rear bogey wheels, the tilt allowed the accumulated gas to flow onto the floor. The broken transmission may have been good luck...going down the road with a hot exhaust and the leaking gas splashing out of the skid plate......

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Damn, I feel your pain.

1890 miles before my manual transmission gave out.

Keep us updated.
On a manual?? That’s just insane.
Sponsored