Sponsored

Auto stop start (ESS) permanent disable / defeat by unplugging hood sensor

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
It is not that it is hard to do, it is just forgotten easily. Then, you end up looking like a moron at the stoplight when your engine dies.
Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara

GSGZZLR

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon, 2011 Z06, 1967 Bronco

bobUK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc
Hi guys,

To get rid of stop/start I removed the negative rail sensor on my Petrol CGI 2012 Merc C-Class 6 months ago, (system is similar to yours I believe) with no issues or EML on dash.
If the EMU can`t read the data from the sensor it does not know the SOC of the battery and (1) will not engage the Stop/start function as car may not restart, (2) disables smart charge and puts the alternator into default charging mode (pre smart charge). You may notice a slight drop in MPG with these two not engaged. In default charge mode your battery will be charged at between 14.3 and 13.8 volts ensuring a fully charged battery when possible at all times unlike smart charge where the battery can be as low as 75-80% SOC waiting for any regeneration to occur.

With the sensor disconnected there is no need to register a new battery and as stop/start is not functioning there is also no need to use an expensive replacement AGM battery. The original AGM battery already in the car will obviously last considerably longer as there are less starts with stop/start disconnected (50,000 against 500,000 lifetime starts). With sensor disconnected there is also one less layer of electronics to go wrong.

Thats my take on it anyway.

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Today I unplugged hood open sensor #2 on right side (driver's side) of engine bay. According to the wiring and software schematics its only job is auto stop/start disable with hood open. It gave me the the auto start/stop warning dash symbol, but that start/stop feature was driving me crazy. I drove the JL 68 miles today with zero issues (remote start works as well as backup camera).

Yes I am too forgetful to press the ESS button to off at every startup. This will hold me over until I can figure out a better defeat technique for this very undesired feature.

Photo of the sensor:

jl-wrangler-hood-sensor-ESS-auto-start-stop-defeat.jpg
You know I'm a little concerned. I asked my dealership service if there was a hood sensor connected to the stop start system and they said no. I am getting a warning for stop start and it stalls out. Anyone else have this problem?

Sponsored

Jeepaddict76

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Has anyone experience issues from dealer while vehicle was in for service / warranty work?

Last edited:

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Has anyone experience issues from dealer while vehicle was in for service / warranty work?
Instead of the hood sensor i unplugged the battery monitor wire on the negative cable[small black wire]. No problems with the dealer, even showed them what i did.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This feature would work so much better if it used GPS data to decide when to kill the motor. I'm on the fence where I don't mind it being there, but I do think it's stupid when I stop in a parking lot and the engine turns off.

If the data was readily available, they could also use traffic history to have a database of which intersections are REALLY worth turning the engine off at.

As it stands, I find myself using the button strategically to kill the engine when I think I'm going to be sitting at one of the local stupid traffic lights, where if you arrive just as the light turns red, you'll be there 3-5 minutes.

Ah, that said, I think the intention of this feature was a bullet list item on a powerpoint of "regulations we must satisfy" not "how can we make a useful feature that saves gas." It reeks of the half-assed kinda implementation a car company begrudgingly makes (or buys from a vendor, lol)

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Question, why do people dislike the ESS? Don't say it will wear out the starter that is not true. I have the ESS in my BMW and Range Rover both for over 3yrs zero starter issue.
It seems to me that one person dislikes it and everyone else follows.
It is just easy to push the button, if it saves 1 gallon of gas a year just maybe our kids kids will have an Earth to live on.

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
Question, why do people dislike the ESS? Don't say it will wear out the starter that is not true. I have the ESS in my BMW and Range Rover both for over 3yrs zero starter issue.
It seems to me that one person dislikes it and everyone else follows.
It is just easy to push the button, if it saves 1 gallon of gas a year just maybe our kids kids will have an Earth to live on.
I don't believe in carbon footprints.

I believe in the law of conservation of matter: neither I nor my vehicle are creating carbon, we merely transform the existing pool of carbon from one state to another and one compound to another. Carbon footprint as a concept makes no scientific sense.

Sponsored

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
On my RR, I forced myself to use the feature (leaving it active) for 6 months. I did not see a significant increase in efficiency, at least nothing that changed my opinion of the system.

I saved approximately 1.5 gallons and maybe $4.50 by using the ECO feature for 6 months. Compared to my total fuel costs for the same 6 months which were ~$1100, the ECO system saved me 0.5%.

So on an emotional level, I still hate these ECO start/stop features.... and on an intellectual level, although there is a tiny benefit, it really isn't worth it.

Perhaps a better design would have been to program the button to turn ESS on when a user wanted to use it????

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Question can someone be honest and say why they DONT like the ESS system. It sounds like that most complaints is the starter which is FALSE.

Rubicon20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Question can someone be honest and say why they DONT like the ESS system. It sounds like that most complaints is the starter which is FALSE.
As an older guy I used to have a Ford F250 pickup, 1978, that every time I stopped at a light or stop sign the engine would die. So I guess I have a little PTSD from that, lol, that makes me nervous every time it shuts off thinking it won't start like my pickup did. So I guess I had the first ESS system.
Seriously it's probably psychological, and also a bit more intrusive than a luxury car like my wifes BMW that you can barely tell shuts off then back on when you take off.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an older guy I used to have a Ford F250 pickup, 1978, that every time I stopped at a light or stop sign the engine would die. So I guess I have a little PTSD from that, lol, that makes me nervous every time it shuts off thinking it won't start like my pickup did. So I guess I had the first ESS system.
Seriously it's probably psychological, and also a bit more intrusive than a luxury car like my wifes BMW that you can barely tell shuts off then back on when you take off.
I also have a Range Rover that has ESS and it is also smooth start. My JLUR is not bad either.
Thanks for the HONEST reply.

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
I also have a Range Rover that has ESS and it is also smooth start. My JLUR is not bad either.
Thanks for the HONEST reply.
I think you have a lot of nerve implying anyone here is dishonest. Your virtue-signaling is the only dishonest post here. You drive a Jeep; if you're that concerned about the planet then you should be pedaling or walking. Liar, ENOUGH SAID.
Sponsored