Sponsored

Auto stop start (ESS) permanent disable / defeat by unplugging hood sensor

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
This thread is very important to me, because the ESS feature puts a lot more wear and tear on the starter and battery. Many of these environmental-saving features are actually counter-productive.
Regarding the above-mentioned jumper wire on the ESS switch, I believe the switch is set up to sent a signal to the ECM, similar to the aux switches which can be configured in various ways. If so, a jumper wire wouldn't solve the problem because it's not a traditional on/off switch.
Does anyone know if the hood plunger switch is the same switch controlling the engine compartment feature of the alarm? The constant hood warning would be annoying too.
There is a company [smartstopstart.com] that make's a disable system for 2017 down and working on one for the new vehicle's as per their website. I think it works off the obdII port. What it does is fools the vehicle when you start it to remember you had pushed the button to disable the start/stop. Also works for sport mode i believe. Price is $130 for the current one.
Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK X 2-DR
The damn ESS was the one thing I was really hating about the JL. Every car I have driven with it was annoying to deal with...especially here in Florida in the summer. Glad there is a simple solution. One little dash light is nothing... Would not be a Jeep without a warning light or two always on =P

MBurgJL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The damn ESS was the one thing I was really hating about the JL. Every car I have driven with it was annoying to deal with...especially here in Florida in the summer. Glad there is a simple solution. One little dash light is nothing... Would not be a Jeep without a warning light or two always on =P
Truer words have never been written :computerrage::cwl:

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I think the startstop guys need to create a device which plugs into that under the hood mechanism which when it's disconnected and the hood is closed the system works without the ESS active or without the ESS dash light active. in other words plug this small chip directly into the under the hood connection instead of under the dash as their device currently does.

At one point when I first join the forum, I thought I heard someone say that the ESS would disable IF there was a tow package active. meaning, a tow hitch connector that plugs into the tow hitch lighting system that deactivated the entire ESS system.
Check above in Dan W's post. He plugged a hitch light in and it did not disable the s/s feature. For now you'll have to do the hood switch thing.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Check above in Dan W's post. He plugged a hitch light in and it did not disable the s/s feature. For now you'll have to do the hood switch thing.
Apparently, a hitch brake light defeats the ESS in the F-150s but not the Wrangler.

Sponsored

mortimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it sounds like using the second hood switch method to defeat ESS wont work if equipped with eTorque. See ~5:45

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I was mis-informed about the dummy receiver plug! A lighted receiver plug disarms the back up warning system, not the ESS. The idea is that if you are hauling a trailer and go into reverse the back up warning system would detect the trailer and start to beep. So the trailer wiring senses if there is a circuit active. A lighted plug will produce the same signal.

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I was mis-informed about the dummy receiver plug! A lighted receiver plug disarms the back up warning system, not the ESS. The idea is that if you are hauling a trailer and go into reverse the back up warning system would detect the trailer and start to beep. So the trailer wiring senses if there is a circuit active. A lighted plug will produce the same signal.
I wonder if/how it effects the blind spot warning?

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 dodge 1500 , 2008 town and counrty, 2003 town and country
I plugged in my receiver mounted brake/running light into the 5 prong trailer plug. Start/stop still works. So much for that idea.

I'm still not sure about the other plug, though.

Try this. It’s the same system. It would work. Let me know.

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it sounds like using the second hood switch method to defeat ESS wont work if equipped with eTorque. See ~5:45
etorque is a different monster. Going to be though to get around that one. But the 3.6 is easy. This dude does it different buy unpluging the battery intelligent sensor. Works perfect

Sponsored

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Looks like it still shows the message and light on the dash so it seems to be the same effect as the under hood switch disconnect thing.

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Just a thought....

Aren't the Aux Switches configurable via UConnect, and have the option to remember the last option selected?
If so, couldn't the wires to the ESS switch be moved over to one of the Aux Switches?

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I wish someone could figure out how to pull the switch panel to install a jumper wire. I'm afraid I may damage mine as I haven't figured it out yet.
Yup, I'v seen how to do it on a ford truck but ain't got the guts to try it on the jeep.
Sponsored