Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Thanks for the info, I tried this today and works with no issues whatsoever. Remote start works as well as backup camera, only downside is dash light. I will decide if I make this permanent but it works for now and I will just plug back in whenever I take Jeep to dealer.

I am confused as you say you unplugged the sensor in the right side of engine bay. I unplugged the wire from the right switch looking towards the windshield, they are on the left side of the vehicle. Is this what you did, I have attached a photo?
IMG_5069.jpg
I unplugged the right switch as your sitting in the jeep which is what killed the back up camera. So i quest i unplugged the wrong one.

OP
OP
jericbarg

jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
Thanks for the info, I tried this today and works with no issues whatsoever. Remote start works as well as backup camera, only downside is dash light. I will decide if I make this permanent but it works for now and I will just plug back in whenever I take Jeep to dealer.

I am confused as you say you unplugged the sensor in the right side of engine bay. I unplugged the wire from the right switch looking towards the windshield, they are on the left side of the vehicle. Is this what you did, I have attached a photo?
IMG_5069.jpg
Yes that is the correct switch. Looking at the windshield would be on the right, but it is considered the left or driver side. Sorry for the confusion but I'm glad you found it useful. You can also leave the sensor plugged in and just remove it from the bracket, this simulates hood open but it will also give you random warnings. Easier to just unplug it.

joem

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 j/k
i read somewhere that if you plug in a trailer wiring light tester into the trailer wiring socket it will simulate a trailer hookup and disable the start stop feature-has anyone tried this?

OP
OP
jericbarg

jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
i read somewhere that if you plug in a trailer wiring light tester into the trailer wiring socket it will simulate a trailer hookup and disable the start stop feature-has anyone tried this?
I heard the same thing but haven’t tried it. I will soon though.

Sponsored

Kysport

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Several posters have said they will try it and report back, but I don’t think anyone has yet. I will test mine but I don’t expect it to be delivered for at least a month. Another post said it was confirmed to work in the Owners Manual but I have looked several times and can’t find it in writing.

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Watching thread and waiting on a solution beyond unplugging the sensor. Fine solve for now, and I agree with $100 for $4 in parts is excessive.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Nice to know the remote start isn’t defeated, but what about the Alarm?

It seems like the two sensors are old functions vs new functions.
Seemed odd at the time when they showed off the two seperate ones, but for ease it makes a bit of sense if rushing to launch vs trying to combine... though still odd. (although that oddity is nice if ESS is all it does).

The old plunger affected remote start, but the new plunger doesn’t, however as the hood alarm is also a new feature add, so would be nice to know which one it is tied to.

For those testing, can you give that a go?

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So what warning do you get by unplugging the ess hood switch?

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
So what warning do you get by unplugging the ess hood switch?
You get a message in the center of the dash that says it's not working that last's a few seconds. Also a small amber light in the upper right of the dash that stay's on all the time.

Sponsored

domleeds1919

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Saab 9-3 Aero; soon to be JLU owner!
Nice write up on this feature!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I plugged in my receiver mounted brake/running light into the 5 prong trailer plug. Start/stop still works. So much for that idea.

I'm still not sure about the other plug, though.

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I plugged in my receiver mounted brake/running light into the 5 prong trailer plug. Start/stop still works. So much for that idea.

I'm still not sure about the other plug, though.
Well, several of us have been wondering about that. Thanks for answering that question.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
there should be a way to modify the switch so it is pressed all the time by maybe removing the internal spring and just securing the contacts together. The F-150 guys are placing a jumper wire on the back of the switch to trick the vehicle into thinking the switch is depressed. Maybe that's an easier solution.

Maybe someone will design a plug in ESS switch delete that is just a dummy switch that is wired to make continuous electrical contact basically acting as a jumper wire.

Not sure how that might affect start up in the Jeep. Wonder if someone can test this by pressing and holding the switch while starting the engine.

Sounds like the easier method is to disconnect the hood switch connector like posted above. Even easier than using a jumper wire.
Sponsored