Sponsored

Auto stop start (ESS) permanent disable / defeat by unplugging hood sensor

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I guess I’m the only guy who stop/start does not bother. I have a manual so I’ts way easier to control, sill it does not bother me even a little.
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Doubt there are any hard coded limits. If JL can support the wheels and gears you’re installing, my guess is the Tazer will accommodate. It’s using the same API as FCA’s programmer, from what I understand.

I also love the little features it supports, like not dropping out the dog lights with high beams, running LED halos as daytime running lights, etc.
Could you look at the unit and see what values it allows you to set them to? I've tried contacting the manufacturer via email, PM, and replies to other posts that he has made on this site, but he does not reply. Which, in of itself probably means that I shouldn't bother with his product.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Could you look at the unit and see what values it allows you to set them to? I've tried contacting the manufacturer via email, PM, and replies to other posts that he has made on this site, but he does not reply. Which, in of itself probably means that I shouldn't bother with his product.
What size tires will you be running?

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What size tires will you be running?
I haven't decided yet, so I'm just curious from an engineering perspective what the maximum and minimum values that the unit will allow you to set for the tire size and gears. I like to know that the limits are and then I'll work around that with some combination so that the speedometer registers the correct value. It's been a couple of decades since my last speeding ticket and I would just as well keep it that way by having the speedometer registering what it should register.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I haven't decided yet, so I'm just curious from an engineering perspective what the maximum and minimum values that the unit will allow you to set for the tire size and gears. I like to know that the limits are and then I'll work around that with some combination so that the speedometer registers the correct value. It's been a couple of decades since my last speeding ticket and I would just as well keep it that way by having the speedometer registering what it should register.
I see. I don’t want to cycle through those settings on my rig. I’m sure it’d go fine, but I don’t want to invite a headache for myself. I saw a post in the Flashcal thread where a guy wasn’t able to return to stock after messing around.

I can tell you this, though - it’s just a programmer, not a tuner. With regard to tire sizes and gear ratios, it can only support whatever FCA supports. Unless you’re going bigger than 40” on your Sport I wouldn’t give this a second thought.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I see. I don’t want to cycle through those settings on my rig. I’m sure it’d go fine, but I don’t want to invite a headache for myself. I saw a post in the Flashcal thread where a guy wasn’t able to return to stock after messing around.

I can tell you this, though - it’s just a programmer, not a tuner. With regard to tire sizes and gear ratios, it can only support whatever FCA supports. Unless you’re going bigger than 40” on your Sport I wouldn’t give this a second thought.
I'm just curious of limits and creating a table of what a person would have to do if they exceeded the limits on the TazerJL.

jeepinoutwest

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport, 2017 Yamaha Super Tenere
Has anyone tried removing the ESS battery? My jeep should arrive this month and I'm curious as to how the jeep behaves if I just remove this secondary battery. Thanks

jeepinoutwest

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you. Rhinebeck, can you explain to me why that works that way? I was under the impression that small second battery was only for the accessories when the Jeep was not running because ESS was triggered.

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
But you can disconnect the wire on the main battery that goes to the ESS battery and it disables ESS. I have done this on my JL and my Chrokee. Aside from a little indicator on the dash, it is as though there is no ESS on the vehicles.

jeepinoutwest

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool, that's my plan or the 2nd hood pin switch. The dash light wont phase me.

Sponsored

GSGZZLR

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon, 2011 Z06, 1967 Bronco
My ASS (lol) never worked straight from the lot. The warning light is on showing that the system is off. If I press the button, nothing happens. I wish I knew what is wrong so that the rest of you can copy it.

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
My guess is the connector on the main battery is disconnected or the 2nd is bad. I have actually disconnected the battery cinnector on my KL and i have the error light and no ESS

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Well it's been really cold around here [20's] and my defroster hasn't been doing it's job so i had to plug the damper motor back in. Guess i'll have to deal with the cold air coming in occasionally until it warms up some.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I still need to unplug mine, I seem to never remember to do this until I have that blast of warm humid air

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Just push the DARN BUTTON.
It's like I don't want to flush the toilet why do I have to push a button to let my windows down. I have to turn on the stove.
But that darn Jeep Button makes me so tired how silly.
Sponsored