Auto stop start (ESS) permanent disable / defeat by unplugging hood sensor

Kysport

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
SmartStopStart now has a prototype for the Wrangler JL and after more extensive testing, it should be available by the end of August. Thank Goodness. No more dash lights!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored

GeorgeB

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Today I unplugged hood open sensor #2 on right side (driver's side) of engine bay. According to the wiring and software schematics its only job is auto stop/start disable with hood open. It gave me the the auto start/stop warning dash symbol, but that start/stop feature was driving me crazy. I drove the JL 68 miles today with zero issues (remote start works as well as backup camera).

Yes I am too forgetful to press the ESS button to off at every startup. This will hold me over until I can figure out a better defeat technique for this very undesired feature.

Photo of the sensor:

jl-wrangler-hood-sensor-ESS-auto-start-stop-defeat.jpg
thanks for this... that "feature" is maddening. im 52 yrs old on my 15th jeep... pretty sure i know when i want to turn off the engine... besides, i think its actually dangerous. rapid acceleration has saved me twice from rear-ends- if the vehicle i was driving had this feature, i would have been smashed.

Moomoo

First Name
Ashlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 chevy traverse, 2018 wrangler unlimited JL Sahara
My Jeep has been delivered, took it out for a spin just to make sure everything was okay. Haven’t picked it up yet as I’m getting the leather done. Point to my story- I didn’t have the start/stop disabled, but it doesn’t work! Not sure if I should even bring this up to the dealership or live with it since I’m very happy with the fact I don’t need to deal with turning it off...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
My Jeep has been delivered, took it out for a spin just to make sure everything was okay. Haven’t picked it up yet as I’m getting the leather done. Point to my story- I didn’t have the start/stop disabled, but it doesn’t work! Not sure if I should even bring this up to the dealership or live with it since I’m very happy with the fact I don’t need to deal with turning it off...
Well, I think you would be making a big mistake not getting it fixed.

Get it fixed and then if you don't like ESS, disable it with a TazerJL programmer.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase

Get it fixed and then if you don't like ESS, disable it with a TazerJL programmer.
Or at least find out *why* it is not working so that you could inform other people what they need to do to accomplish the same thing. :)

Sponsored

Moomoo

First Name
Ashlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I agree, but it makes life so much easier!!

Or at least find out *why* it is not working so that you could inform other people what they need to do to accomplish the same thing. :)
Haha! This is definitely a great idea. I’ll find out what I can FOR SURE!

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Haha! This is definitely a great idea. I’ll find out what I can FOR SURE!
Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?

It might be that you are just not coming to a hard enough stop to engage the ESS. From what I've read, if you don't firmly depress the brake pedal, it doesn't activate. Or maybe that was just on the manual transmission. I don't have any personal experience in it *yet* since I'm still waiting on my JL. But, my JL has finally reached "JS" status, so it's waiting on a rail car for shipment. I'm going to be in the UK and Ireland all of August and into September, so it should either arrive right before I leave or while I'm gone. I'll be able to experiment with ESS later in September and find out if it needs to be "fixed". If so, I'll come up with something that does it.

https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959/vehicles/wrangler-jl-electronic-start-stop

Moomoo

First Name
Ashlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?

It might be that you are just not coming to a hard enough stop to engage the ESS. From what I've read, if you don't firmly depress the brake pedal, it doesn't activate. Or maybe that was just on the manual transmission. I don't have any personal experience in it *yet* since I'm still waiting on my JL. But, my JL has finally reached "JS" status, so it's waiting on a rail car for shipment. I'm going to be in the UK and Ireland all of August and into September, so it should either arrive right before I leave or while I'm gone. I'll be able to experiment with ESS later in September and find out if it needs to be "fixed". If so, I'll come up with something that does it.

https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959/vehicles/wrangler-jl-electronic-start-stop
I have a manual. Once I pick it up I’ll examine it closer. Maybe I don’t break hard enough?

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I have a manual transmission also. The only time the ESS comes on is when I've come to a stop, put the Jeep in neutral and the clutch out.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a manual transmission also. The only time the ESS comes on is when I've come to a stop, put the Jeep in neutral and the clutch out.
And does it do this regardless of how hard (or lightly) you have the brake pressed?

With a manual transmission, if I'm coming up to a fresh red light, I often put it in neutral, release the clutch, and coast to it. I don't depress the clutch until I'm ready to put it back in gear when I can see that the light is about to change. It will be interesting to see how my normal driving style changes to work around the ESS system or whether I quickly get fed up with it and decide to develop a workaround.

Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
And does it do this regardless of how hard (or lightly) you have the brake pressed?

With a manual transmission, if I'm coming up to a fresh red light, I often put it in neutral, release the clutch, and coast to it. I don't depress the clutch until I'm ready to put it back in gear when I can see that the light is about to change. It will be interesting to see how my normal driving style changes to work around the ESS system or whether I quickly get fed up with it and decide to develop a workaround.

I never thought about the pressure on the brake pedal. I'll do some experimenting tomorrow and let ya know.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I never thought about the pressure on the brake pedal. I'll do some experimenting tomorrow and let ya know.
Also, if you have the air-conditioner on max, it supposedly eliminates or at least reduces the times that ESS kicks in.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

This is how I drive, too. ESS was triggering at red lights and in traffic jams. It got old fast. It’s like driving a golf cart. Tazer JL is my workaround. $270 sounds steep, but it has a ton of features and was well worth it to me. (Only thing more annoying than ESS are the damn weather alerts. Tazer can kill both.)

I will say ESS never failed when I let it do it’s thing. By the time the clutch is down the engine is running. Maybe you’ll like it or will get used to it. Or, maybe you’ll just develop a routine and remember to push the button each time you start the Jeep. That wa my plan, but I could never remember until the engine stopped.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is how I drive, too. ESS was triggering at red lights and in traffic jams. It got old fast. It’s like driving a golf cart. Tazer JL is my workaround. $270 sounds steep, but it has a ton of features and was well worth it to me. (Only thing more annoying than ESS are the damn weather alerts. Tazer can kill both.)
I hear that the Tazer lets you change the tire size and differential gear ratio that your JL's computer thinks you have. What is the maximum and minimum values for each?

I will say ESS never failed when I let it do it’s thing. By the time the clutch is down the engine is running. Maybe you’ll like it or will get used to it. Or, maybe you’ll just develop a routine and remember to push the button each time you start the Jeep. That wa my plan, but I could never remember until the engine stopped.
Yeah, one of those cases of it happens, you cuss out the ESS system and whoever designed / required it to be put in the vehicles and then you forget around it until the next time you start the car and it happens again to you. :)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I hear that the Tazer lets you change the tire size and differential gear ratio that your JL's computer thinks you have. What is the maximum and minimum values for each?
Doubt there are any hard coded limits. If JL can support the wheels and gears you’re installing, my guess is the Tazer will accommodate. It’s using the same API as FCA’s programmer, from what I understand.

I also love the little features it supports, like not dropping out the dog lights with high beams, running LED halos as daytime running lights, etc.
Sponsored