Auto start stop wouldn't start up after releasing pedal

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara with Power Top
Well I'm having an issue but not why I'm posting this (autostop wouldn't start up after releasing pedal - had to turn off and back on in traffic - only 400 miles).

Posting because I noticed that pushing brake pedal all the way after stopped turned engine while stopped. Is that normal?
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well I'm having an issue but not why I'm posting this (autostop wouldn't start up after releasing pedal - had to turn off and back on in traffic - only 400 miles).

Posting because I noticed that pushing brake pedal all the way after stopped turned engine while stopped. Is that normal?
Hello J-Gator,
We would recommend reaching out to your local Jeep dealer to help diagnose your concern. If you do need additional assistance we are available through private message.
Laura
JeepCares

OP
OP
J-Gator

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thx. I plan on making an appointment. Now I get autostop error every drive so I'll be taking in once back in town.

Hello J-Gator,
We would recommend reaching out to your local Jeep dealer to help diagnose your concern. If you do need additional assistance we are available through private message.
Laura
JeepCares

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
There are lots of things that prevent ESS from engaging.

Driver ā€™s seat belt is not buckled.
ā€¢ Driver ā€™s door is not closed. 6
ā€¢ Battery temperature is too warm or cold.
ā€¢ Battery charge is low.
ā€¢ The vehicle is on a steep grade.
ā€¢ Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an acceptable cabin temperature has not been achieved.
ā€¢ HVAC is set to full defrost mode at a high blower speed. ā€¢ HVAC set to MAX A/C.
ā€¢ Engine has not reached normal operating temperature. ā€¢ The transmission is not in a forward gear.
ā€¢ Hood is open.
ā€¢ Transfer case is in 4LO or Neutral
ā€¢ Brake pedal is not pressed with sufficient pressure.
Other Factors Which Can Inhibit Autostop Include:
ā€¢ Accelerator pedal input.
ā€¢ Engine temp too high.
ā€¢ Vehicle speed threshold not achieved from previous auto-stop (2 mph (3 km/h) BSG, 5 mph (8 km/h) ESS
ā€¢ Steering angle beyond threshold.
ā€¢ ACC is on and speed is set.
ā€¢ Vehicle is at high altitude
ā€¢ System fault present
ā€¢ Low fuel is detected
It may be possible for the vehicle to be driven several times without the STOP/START system going into a STOP/ START READY state under more extreme conditions

So as you can see there are lots of things that prevent ESS from working and also if you have a battery thatā€™s going bad it wonā€™t work either and you should see a message under menu #6 on the EVIC on why itā€™s not working

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
ESS malfunctions are usually the start of a more significant electrical problem. The dealer will probably start by testing and replacing batteries and relays, but you definitely need to take it in.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

@WranglerMan, @J-Gator

Will: thanks for the list of possible reasons that ESS won't engage.

That said, I can't help but think that Jeff's problem is the opposite: that ESS, once engaged, fails to re-crank the rig when the brake pedal is released

"...autostop wouldn't start up after releasing pedal"

I could be wrong.

That said, I agree it's something the dealer needs to look at. My only additional 2 cents are to have you press the ESS off button each time you cold crank the rig, to turn the system off, such that it doesn't engage to then find you in your described situation of inability for the rig to crank, at least until the dealer diagnoses and fixes the problem.

: - )

OP
OP
J-Gator

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes it won't crank the engine. If I don't use it (button) or just not stoping it throws error message and disengages. Unfortunately after traveling have a busy schedule so I need to find time to have it looked at.

Thx all for the comments.

@WranglerMan, @J-Gator

Will: thanks for the list of possible reasons that ESS won't engage.

That said, I can't help but think that Jeff's problem is the opposite: that ESS, once engaged, fails to re-crank the rig when the brake pedal is released

"...autostop wouldn't start up after releasing pedal"

I could be wrong.

That said, I agree it's something the dealer needs to look at. My only additional 2 cents are to have you press the ESS off button each time you cold crank the rig, to turn the system off, such that it doesn't engage to then find you in your described situation of inability for the rig to crank, at least until the dealer diagnoses and fixes the problem.

: - )

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Mine had issues with the ESS at 200 miles. I even got an error message from the computer. It fixed itself after 1000 miles, I think the AUX battery was diacharged

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thx. I plan on making an appointment. Now I get autostop error every drive so I'll be taking in once back in town.
Hello J-Gator,
Thank you for providing that update. If you need our assistance in the future we are always a private message away.
Laura
JeepCares

RaiderRed75

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Did Jeep or anyone find out what is causing the ESS failure to restart? Our 2018 JLU is at the dealer a second time for not restarting when the brake is released. This is also coinciding with the radio failing and only the back up camera working, so thereā€™s an deeper problem in the software or hardware.

Sponsored

OP
OP
J-Gator

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately I haven't had time to take it in yet. It almost always just gives me an error message and then is disabled. I'll be taking it in to the dealership probably in December.

I do find it funny that I get a "vehicle health" report that is perfect when this happens every drive .

Did Jeep or anyone find out what is causing the ESS failure to restart? Our 2018 JLU is at the dealer a second time for not restarting when the brake is released. This is also coinciding with the radio failing and only the back up camera working, so thereā€™s an deeper problem in the software or hardware.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello RaiderRed75,
Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If you are interested in additional assistance throughout this process you can reach us through private message.
Laura
JeepCares

RaiderRed75

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Hello RaiderRed75,
Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If you are interested in additional assistance throughout this process you can reach us through private message.
Laura
JeepCares
Laura,
The dealer told me this morning that the driver door was slightly loose so it would sometimes show open causing the ESS not to restart those 2 times?? Has this been seen in other cases?

OP
OP
J-Gator

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well it seems to be a hood sensor for me. See pic.

Funny note - my Jeep steers ok, but is misaligned a bit. The dealership said they can do a free alignment once in first year and 12,000 miles. Unfortunately they couldn't do it since the machine hasn't been updated for 2020 model year yet.

Another funny note - I asked how the hybrid system has been and service advisor said this was the first one he has seen with a 2.0. Hard to believe that he hasn't seen another in 2 model years.

MVIMG_20191129_173917.jpg
Sponsored