DeviantJeep

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Greeting;
I just wanted to share an issue and fix I ran into this week.
The Problem - Auto Start Stop Warning light on the dash and the radio would not shut off when the door was opened
The Cause - Bent pins in the driver side door harness
The Fix - Carefully straightened the pins and reconnected the harness

The Story - I'm a new jeep owner so I was excited to put the top down and take the doors off for the first time this week.
After reinstalling the doors the following day, I had the Auto Start Stop warning on the dash, a warning that the vehicle was not in park and the radio was staying on after opening and closing the driver door. After troubleshooting for a few minutes I narrowed it down to the drivers door. I disconnected the door harness and the clip holding the truck side of the harness and observed the pins out of alignment. See attached picture. Straightening the pins and CAREFULLY reattaching the harness resolved the issue.

Conclusion - Its my fault for bending the pins but its odd that it occurred at all. The connection seemed designed specifically to prevent this issue.
Anyway; hope this helps someone out there.

Regards
S

20210312_165414.jpg
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@DeviantJeep

Your post will help other's .... this bent pin thing has been reported/posted about on the forum, many times over the last 3 years....

Hint: IF it ever happens again (Radio will not turn off) and you need to kill 12v power temporarily to UConnect/Radio..........pull Fuse F97 found in the Power Distribution Cener (PDC) under the hood... this kills power just to UConnect/Radio. You can drive the JL, even if it is pulled.

Arrow points to F97

Jeep Wrangler JL Auto Start Stop Warning and Radio not shutting off F97 fuse marked

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Conclusion - Its my fault for bending the pins but its odd that it occurred at all. The connection seemed designed specifically to prevent this issue.
Anyway; hope this helps someone out there.

Regards
S
Maybe it's your fault. That is one way to look at it. But I don't agree. It seems to me that Jeep Engineering could have designed a "fool proof" connector so that it could be disconnected and reconnected with no connector damage. This connector needs a very robust design since we know customers will be taking the doors off.

Apparently, the two plastic connector halves do not require "positive alignment" prior to the metal terminals engaging.

Curcurt

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Just left the dealership yesterday for Auto/Stop Service error and it was bent driver door pins. They said bent door pins are a very common problem with the JL's. Everyone kept saying it was my aux battery, but nope simple door pin fix.
Sponsored