First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
When ESS turns on in my Jeep it almost always shuts off before I ever let my foot off the brake even with AC shut off so I can’t take full advantage of what it has to offer.
This is my main complaint with it -- especially with a 6 speed. Blower off, just sitting, it won't last 30s. Blower on, less than 10s.
Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
@Gee-pah
He knew what I meant. Just let him go. He flares up every now and then. Pretty similar to hemorrhoids, actually.

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Awesome: a problem I can solve without much emotional attachment to politics or other controversy:

Chris: consider this flash. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-bad-aux-battery-no-start-firmware-fix.53608/

Talk is it will get your 2018 to act like later M.Y. 3.6L JLs and allow the main battery to solely cold crank the rig if the ESS battery is dead.

2018 3.6L's won't attempt a crank with inadequate Aux battery juice.
I talked to the dealer this morning about this firmware update. They want $140 for the flash but the service advisor refuses to do it until they perform diagnostics and locate the problem. I'm past the 3yr/36k warranty and don't know if the 5yr/60k power train warranty covers it.

I'm gonna try my luck with a different dealer this week.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
ESS is on most new vehicles. Its not just Jeep.

The whole idea of the ESS has nothing to do with the driver.

The purpose is to save a little bit of fuel when the vehicle is tested for emissions. That is it. Full stop.

The components used in the start up procedure wear out faster. The user pays for repairs. Manufacturing the items produces emissions.

ESS does nothing for the owner. it does everything for the manufacturer.

My start up procedure is: Push button start - push button radio - push button ESS. I always feel that I am starting up a rocket ship in a 1950's movie!

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I know I can just press the button and turn ESS off, (every time I start the Jeep), but for the convenience of not having to do that, i broke down and bought the SmartStopStart. I can appreciate those that don't wanna spend the money and are happy to press the button, but I also appreciate and like to support people that come up with nice solutions to our daily inconveniences, so I bought one. I haven't put it in yet because I'm about a week (optimistically speaking) of going in for my TBS steering gear replacement. Then I can install it and report back, but the reviews are solid, and I don't anticipate any problems. And can we leave the freakin' politics to some other forum? ...or I'm going bring up OIL and BREAKIN! :LOL:

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@TEXGOAT , haven't you figured it out yet?? He just wants the attention. Reason means nothing. Facts mean nothing. He just gets his jollies by trying to antagonize people. Plus, you can talk a and reason, until you are blue in the face, but you just cannot fix stupid.
I have to find humor in this. I think you meant to address it to me. Not @TEXGOAT. People who come here with facts want to sway those who haven't decided where they stand yet towards responsible choices, not hear themselves talk.

People who post mindless dribble like @TEXGOAT seek to be heard and to provoke others. Why deliberately post that which is difficult for others to follow?

It is ironic that you feel me antagonistic @DaltonGang. Let's take a stroll down memory lane on this thread.

The premise of my opening points in this thread where that those who dislike a non-latching ESS button could have a lot worse of a situation, like higher gas prices, and that given all the ways to disable ESS, should really find other things to complain about.

The opening antagonistically intended salvo friend was you telling me that you're going to deliberately spew fumes into the air by pressing the accelerator for no driving based reasons on an earlier model truck, to then label me a hypocrite for buying a 3.6L Wrangler (because I needed the functionality,) and talking "green" at the same time, when the 3.6L was all that was available in 2018 when I purchased and comparable vehicles would have consumed no less gasoline.

Then after talking about your deliberately wasting gasoline to get under my skin you felt need to point out how your truck gets better gas mileage, especially the way you drove it on an extended trip.

What was your point there; to contradict yourself, to think that your deliberate choice to waste gas that you pay for, not me, would incense me?

Then you trashed my home town as if other areas don't have their problems or that my locale's problems are exclusively my doing. Did I trash where you live or did I stick to topic?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I have a Jeep Cherokee as a rental while my JL is in for service. ESS is so much smoother! I did learn from posting here that when your AC is blasting on high the ESS will deactivate in like 3 seconds.

When ESS turns on in my Jeep it almost always shuts off before I ever let my foot off the brake even with AC shut off so I can’t take full advantage of what it has to offer. But the Cherokee will stay on the entire time my foot is on the brake, it’s so nice! Argh.
Jenna, I don't know if you're looking for a remedy. I don't know if where you park grants you access to "shore power."

If yes is your answer to both questions a trickle charger on the main battery while the JL's parked may solve this. The dealer checking your batteries isn't a bad idea either.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I know I can just press the button and turn ESS off, (every time I start the Jeep), but for the convenience of not having to do that, i broke down and bought the SmartStopStart. I can appreciate those that don't wanna spend the money and are happy to press the button, but I also appreciate and like to support people that come up with nice solutions to our daily inconveniences, so I bought one. I haven't put it in yet because I'm about a week (optimistically speaking) of going in for my TBS steering gear replacement. Then I can install it and report back, but the reviews are solid, and I don't anticipate any problems. And can we leave the freakin' politics to some other forum? ...or I'm going bring up OIL and BREAKIN! :LOL:
Fair post Mike. You respect people's choice, who want to disable ESS, to do so using their preferred method: tech, hack, or button push. You recognize that people value things differently and have different budgets for tech.

I point out your stand because this thread started when someone complained about pressing the ESS button.

Pressing a button is not hard. If it engaged something people liked, that those people also realized might not best be on the second you start the engine (e.g. letting the engine warm up on a cold day before turning the heat on in vain, only to blow cold air) you wouldn't hear a peep.

So this is not about the difficult of a button push so much as it's about people not being forced to reverse something they don't want, each time they cold crank, because they want freedom--they pay for the gas after all.

Or do they?

Well to those who think Global warming a sham--at least for humans to correct I'm sure they do feel that they're paying fair market value for gasoline. But to those who think links exist between driving ICE engines and global warming, pushing a button or the steps/money to overcome having to do so is much better than the price of gasoline reflecting the cleanup efforts its use necessitates.

All this said, I am NOT without the reasoning or sympathies that tripling gas prices would have an so many living at the margin, particularly exacerbated by COVID.

Absolutely not directed at you Mike:

Fight for every freedom you can from an imposing government that otherwise doesn't, in your exercise of that freedom, piss on somebody else's. Don't confuse freedom with selfishness.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I actually believe in man-made global warming. If you go back to what I quoted and replied to, it was that scientists have nothing to gain.

There is something to gain in their overwhelming consensus. There's *always* something to gain, and pure science for science's sake is nearly a myth.

Exactly. Some researchers and scientists might be driven by a love of data and the scientific method, but the people that fund them aren't. Papers get buried. It's a nice, romantic thought that science is pure and above the petty squabbles of politics and funding. I wish it were true.

There are countless examples of papers that were published in well-respected journals that were later found out to be a bunch of nonsense -- no damage done to the journal, as people accept journals (just like news) sometimes rush to publish and be first, and it's difficult to find peer reviewers. Peer reviewers don't get notoriety, peer reviewing takes precious time away from their own research, and honestly sometimes there aren't enough peers to review something new.

There was a famous case in computer science where an algorithm 'wrote' papers using templates and a library of buzzwords (a la mad libs) that were published in several leading journals. It was only exposed as false when the authors of the algorithm published their findings about the state of computer science journals. In the end, no harm came to the journals' reputation.
Fair.

And there are journals, for example in cancer drug research that would suffer irreputable harm, doctors throughout the world copying their protocols that show benefit, if they published sham research.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Jenna, I don't know if you're looking for a remedy. I don't know if where you park grants you access to "shore power."

If yes is your answer to both questions a trickle charger on the main battery while the JL's parked may solve this. The dealer checking your batteries isn't a bad idea either.
Never thought about the battery, thanks for the advice!

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Here's the mod I frequently use for the ESS and the price was right.

Jeep Wrangler JL Auto start/stop rant mod

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
The ESS threads on here are by far the most entertaining. Carry on.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.