Not open for further replies.

lzaffuto

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door Sport S Sarge Green
That's actually, despite what I think is its campiness (I'm not sure) not the most absurd cause and effect I've ever heard.

The problem though is what comes next, as water reduces land mass.

I'm heading to Idaho to consider investing in some soon to be coastal properties. ;)
I'm in Atlanta and I can't wait until I'm just minutes from the beach.
Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
It's just the way it was designed. I would have preferred ESS to remain on when the vehicle is in Park, only to restart the engine if/when the vehicle is taken out of Park, so as to not start the engine in the many circumstances, like yours, where you're likely to turn the vehicle off anyway. I admit that there could very well be reasons why FCA didn't go with this design that may be beyond my understanding.

To prevent either of these from happening, "just before I need to go again," if ESS kicking in is not my preferred outcome, I stick the vehicle into 1st manual gear.

Of the many conditions that prevent ESS from engaging, not being in automatic transmission mode is one of them. BTW, shutting off for a couple of seconds as you describe, if in fact the case, is not normal behavior. I suggest you take the vehicle in for service if that's the case. ESS startup should be faster than your ability to pretty much move from brake to accelerator.

I don't recommend that you ever turn your wheel before a left turn for the obvious reasons we learned in driver's education about not being pushed into oncoming traffic if rear ended. But FWIW, a turned steering wheel is another condition that will prevent ESS from engaging.

ESS systems in aggregate, across all users has been shown to save gas. On the individual experience level, this will of course be a lot less. Some experts have gauged the point of returns at about 7 seconds of engine off time.

Funny you mention towing. I've read on the forum that sticking a 7 pin trailer hitch outlet tester in the receptacle is enough to turn ESS off. Start/stop can be persistent with hacks that I can link you to if you're curious or tech, but isn't designed that way because the EPA will calculate the average MPG of the vehicle as the average of ESS engaged and NOT engaged if the ESS off button is "latching," or to rephrase, remembers its state of off or on from one cold crank to another. Vehicles with non-latching ESS buttons, like the JL get to report their MPG with ESS engaged to the EPA. These MPG numbers are critical for the manufacturer's fleet reaching certain MPG thresholds so as to not face whopping EPA penalties, or have to buy carbon credits at fair market value from manufacturers like Tesla, who have them to sell.
Having the 6-speed manual If I just keep the clutch pedal pushed to the firewall ESS will not engage. I generally hit the button to turn it off when I come to a stop the first time. I will be purchasing a Tazer to deal with TPMS when off-roading, circumference when I go to 35" tires, and a multitude of other things. I have noticed that the estimated mileage at idle is north of 50 mpg. I guess if I don't go anywhere I can really make a tank last.

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
I actually enjoy the ESS. When pulling in my garage, I just take my seat belt off before I pull in, and the engine won't shut off. The reason it doesn't stay off is, because when the EPA test fuel economy they can only start the vehicle, and turn on A/C for that part of test. Everything else has to be left alone. So, if someone turned it off before the testing, then that would change the Fuel Economy numbers. You can actually lightly push on the brake, come to a stop, and not have the engine shut off. Just have to have a light foot. Just like any system in a car. You need to learn the ins and outs of it. When I get in turn lane I've learned how lightly to push on brakes to not make engine shut off.
So....all I have to do is take off my seat belt to disable ESS???

Sweet!

joking aside....Feel free to rant about anything you wish about your jeep, its yours...

On a side note, my tazer "forgets" ESS every so often, which makes my stomach drop (When it shuts off). As some of you pointed out, those of us who remember being in a car in the 80's when they all sucked, the car shutting off was the start of a really BAD day. No phone to call anyone, you were walking to a neighboring farm house (could be a mile or two) or hoping a car would pass and pick you up...

Lots of childhood anxiety due to the crappy used car market in the 80s: Car dying in the middle of nowhere; Having to park near a hill or sewer drain because your starter was dead; and my favorite, having to get the hammer out of the trunk to "unstick" the starter... LOL

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My $0.02,
I get the frustration and it would be great if there was a factory option to disable it easily as a persistent setting.

But, I simply have made it habit to hit the button before I start driving.

While I plan on getting a Tazer in the future, I wouldn't drop the $$ for just that one feature. ESS is more and more common. Developing the habit of just pressing the button before I drive works universally between all our Jeep Vehicles.

Oddly enough I thank having a manual as my first JL with helping to cement the habit. It was actually easier for me to remember this when I had my manual JLU as the button was conveniently placed perfectly to be hit by one of my fingers when in 1st gear.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
That's actually, despite what I think is its campiness (I'm not sure) not the most absurd cause and effect I've ever heard.

The problem though is what comes next, as water reduces land mass.

I'm heading to Idaho to consider investing in some soon to be coastal properties. ;)
As soon as i get home today, I'm grabbing a pen and notepad and am going to rewatch Kevin Costners "Waterworld".

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I think we can all agree that despite whether Global Warming is real, and if so, that we have the power to stop, dare I say reverse it, that no single action alone is enough to effect meaningful change..

...not ESS, electric vehicles, solar power, etc. So thumbing one's nose at a single step (e.g. ESS) because it isn't the magic bullet is not the point. ESS is designed to simply be a transition that reduces CO2 production and incentivizes electric vehicles, where economies of scale bring price down and innovation up.

I'll tell you what scares me. While selfishness is a necessary part of survival, like pretty much anything, in excess it can cause problems. People not willing to say that "climate is my problem," motivated by the lack of others willing to do their part can be infectious.

Naturally, I routed for Neo in The Matrix. And yet, this speech, despite the film being pure fiction, made me take pause:

It's not that other mammals develop a natural equilibrium with their environment though, so much as well, humans lack animals higher in the food chain to keep us in check...except ourselves.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This little thing is sure keeping my social life in check!
Jeep Wrangler JL Auto start/stop rant 1600804285982
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.