Not open for further replies.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Not on this iteration of the Wrangler.
Pretty much.
Whats the price you’re willing to pay to not have to push a button? If you don’t know, it’s $300.

Each press will cost you a dollar. So every time you push that button, set aside a dollar. Three hundred pushes later, you’ll have enough to buy the tazer.
If of course you are only buying the Tazer for ESS. Then again if it is only ESS there are far cheaper ways to disable it.
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i dont mind the ess and got used to it. imho i like it.

not bashing on the haters of the ess, all i can say buy tazer. if you cant afford one hit the freaking button, IT"S FREE!!!

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
ESS haters: I respect you. I don't love it, I just fail to hate it. I get that you're worried about engine wear and risk that the rig won't crank in critical moments. I get that you don't want the government telling you what to do and that you have to effect some hack or buy some tech to turn ESS off.

Many of you are the same people who believe free market principles should prevail. I'd rather ESS. Here's why.

Let's say you buy into the theory of Global Warming: something that scientists of all political backgrounds say is happening. If you don't, I have no argument to sell you.

But if you do, or might, free market principles would have you paying for the CO2 cleanup that gallon of gas you (or I) bought caused. That might raise its cost to $12/gallon. Granted, that value is just a haphazard guess but you get the point.

Looked at from that angle, methods to turn ESS off, including getting into the habit of hitting the ESS off button at the same time as you press the start button all of sudden tend to become much cheaper and much better received alternatives to fair free market prices for carbon fuels.
The real market gets high on asymmetric information and puts the cost on those who don't know better or who are too weak to fight back.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my 2020 JLUR back in May and I have absolutely loved the vehicle. Have taken it wheeling quite a bit in Colorado and made a trip out to Moab as well. My only major complaint is the auto start/stop, which works terribly....
  • when I pull into my garage, the vehicle shuts off when I come to a stop, then starts again when I shift into Park..... Why?
  • just about any time in traffic it shuts off just before I need to go again, so ends up being shut off for like a couple seconds
  • when waiting to make a left turn (not at a light), It stalls me long enough that a gap I could've squeezed through might close up
Not only that, but having owned old vehicles that would die at traffic lights, it STILL freaks me out when the vehicle shuts off. It's just an all-around annoying behavior that only serves to wear down parts, I doubt it makes hardly any impact on gas mileage. It seems to be optimized for sitting in heavy traffic, which I rarely ever do.

When I turn off park sense (for towing), the vehicle remembers and next time I start the vehicle it stays off. Why can't start/stop preference be persisted as well? Really think I shouldn't have to spend $300 on a tazer mini to eliminate start/stop.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk
Must not be a true hater, lol. I would’ve spent twice as much for tazer if I had to. Its just not natural for your vehicle to shut off by itself...:facepalm:...and I’m to old to learn new tricks. I haven’t touched that button for almost two years, in fact until I just read this thread I had forgotten about it, lol. The peace of mind is priceless....:)

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
It's not

Really don't want to use "hacks" to prevent ESS, I'd rather press the button.

Unfortunately towing does not disable ESS, as I have had it kick in while towing (with trailer electrical plugged in)

PS, please don't try to molify a rant.

If ESS is not faster for you than the time it takes to move from brake to accelerator, unless you are extremely extremely fast at this, like I said, I think you should have the ESS system checked out.

Sorry, you did say your OP was a "talk" but there's questions and complaints in it that I thought I could address. It's kind of what we in part do around here, but I guess my bad (and the bad of everyone who came after me with suggestions on helping you, especially after indicating your desire to not be helped "don't molify a rant.") Next time maybe state up front you wish nobody to try to address your issues...or don't state your issues here--just a thought.

I haven't made any assumptions at all about why people dislike ESS (at least on the JL) and certainly not you who first expressed your reasons. It's the culmination of countless threads on the forum from people who have expressed this dislike: which of course is their right to feel and express. Perhaps being new here you didn't know this--which is fine-- but please appreciate that you got an informed reply to issues I could have just as easily said "join the club" to--you being the 100th person to raise similar reasons for disliking ESS, or given you links to similar posts, or ignored. Others have and would say, "not another ESS thread, please!"

That may sound like I'm defending ESS. I'm not. I'm defending, if not you showing appreciation, as nobody forces me to be here, lack of inconsideration.

Just so were on the same page, and for my own education on towing NOT disabling ESS, do you have the 7 pin hitch harness or 4?

I'm certainly aware that environmentally, ESS is no panacea. Burying the batteries it requires, once used, and the effects on the land, wear and tear on the engine like I said, potentially dangerous situations on the road, and the need for short trip drivers like me to have to trickle charge the 3.6L just to get it to work are only the tip of the iceberg of ESS' problems.

But the fact that my pricing of gasoline for all its negative affects is not spot on in no way negates the fact that you, me, and everyone else is paying far less for it than what it truly costs.

Listen to you complain about issues that you yourself have indicated that you are fine just to push a button on to solve is a little like "Dorothy knowing she can click here heels at any time to go home, but yet still complains about Oz."

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
If ESS is not faster for you than the time it takes to move from brake to accelerator, unless you are extremely extremely fast at this, like I said, I think you should have the ESS system checked out.

Sorry, you did say your OP was a "talk" but there's questions and complaints in it that I thought I could address. It's kind of what we in part do around here, but I guess my bad (and the bad of everyone who came after me with suggestions on helping you, especially after indicating your desire to not be helped.) Next time maybe state up front you wish nobody to try to address your issues...or don't state your issues here--just a thought.

I haven't made any assumptions at all about why people dislike ESS (at least on the JL) and certainly not you who first expressed your reasons. It's the culmination of countless threads on the forum from people who have expressed this dislike: which of course is their right to feel and express. Perhaps being new here you didn't know this--which is fine-- but please appreciate that you got an informed reply to issues I could have just as easily said "join the club" to--you being the 100th person to raise similar reasons for disliking ESS, or given you links to similar posts, or ignored. Others have and would say, "not another ESS thread, please!"

That may sound like I'm defending ESS. I'm not. I'm defending, if not you showing appreciation, as nobody forces me to be here, lack of inconsideration.

Just so were on the same page, and for my own education on towing NOT disabling ESS, do you have the 7 pin hitch harness or 4?

I'm certainly aware that environmentally, ESS is no panacea. Burying the batteries it requires, once used, and the effects on the land, wear and tear on the engine like I said, potentially dangerous situations on the road, and the need for short trip drivers like me to have to trickle charge the 3.6L just to get it to work are only the tip of the iceberg of ESS' problems.

But the fact that my pricing of gasoline for all its negative affects is not spot on in no way negates the fact that you, me, and everyone else is paying far less for it than what it truly costs.

Listen to you complain about issues that you yourself have indicated that you are fine just to push a button on to solve is a little like "Dorothy knowing she can click here heels at any time to go home, but yet still complains about Oz."
TLDR?

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Maybe try this peeps - Before you come to a complete stop, ease up on the pressure you apply on your brake pedal. When done properly you remain stationary using light brake pressure - and the engine stays running. If you applied moderate pressure then the ESS kicks in.

Have been stopping like this since Day 2 and have not since needed to press the ESS cancel button. Sometimes it is used - sometimes not - depending on how long the expected wait time is.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I bought my 2020 JLUR back in May and I have absolutely loved the vehicle. Have taken it wheeling quite a bit in Colorado and made a trip out to Moab as well. My only major complaint is the auto start/stop, which works terribly....
  • when I pull into my garage, the vehicle shuts off when I come to a stop, then starts again when I shift into Park..... Why?
  • just about any time in traffic it shuts off just before I need to go again, so ends up being shut off for like a couple seconds
  • when waiting to make a left turn (not at a light), It stalls me long enough that a gap I could've squeezed through might close up
Not only that, but having owned old vehicles that would die at traffic lights, it STILL freaks me out when the vehicle shuts off. It's just an all-around annoying behavior that only serves to wear down parts, I doubt it makes hardly any impact on gas mileage. It seems to be optimized for sitting in heavy traffic, which I rarely ever do.

When I turn off park sense (for towing), the vehicle remembers and next time I start the vehicle it stays off. Why can't start/stop preference be persisted as well? Really think I shouldn't have to spend $300 on a tazer mini to eliminate start/stop.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk
Yawn yet another post complaining about ESS. It’s the cost you have to pay to help keep fleet emissions down. Press the off button if it bothers you. Learn how to use the system and it’s fine.

BigGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
There’s a certain amount of brake pressure that will stop the Jeep without triggering the stop/start. Seems stupid, but I’ve gotten pretty good at controlling when the motor turns off with the brake.

Sponsored

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Jeep Gladiator Sport-S
On my JT, I just removed one of the under-hood switches from the housing so closing the hood doesn't depress it. ESS is now gone, I don't have to remember to push the button, and I don't miss it.

Which switch? The correct one (and not the one I tried the first time). When you remove the wrong switch, on starting the engine, the dash immediately beeps at you & says to close the hood. When you remove the correct one, nothing happens until the first time you exceed 30 mph, then the dash beeps & says ESS not available...

Easy & cheap fix! Buh-bye ESS!!!

OP
OP
inorganik

inorganik

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Definitely 7

Yawn yet another post complaining about ESS. It’s the cost you have to pay to help keep fleet emissions down. Press the off button if it bothers you. Learn how to use the system and it’s fine.
Next time just don't click.... had to get it off my chest

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'm one of the few that really don't mind ESS. I understands its purpose, it's function and intent. Call me a hippy if you want but if I can do a little bit to reduce carbon emissions I don't see why not.

I do agree with the garage comment. There's a handful of times I do reach down and turn off ESS. 1)pulling into my garage, when i remember 2) if i'm in an area with a lot of short distance stopping and it becomes overly annoying.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.