Sponsored

Auto Start/Stop in Florida is the worst...

uRJeremyK

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I will be honest I actually liked the feature until recently when I started needing the AC again. Every time I stop at a light, because the auto start/stop doesn't adjust the fan speed to lower while stopped, the fans start blowing uncomfortably hot air into my face.

Since the AC cuts off when the engine stops, they really should have auto adjust fan speed and returned it to normal when kicking back off. Such a frustrating feature to have to turn off every time I start the car now.
Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
I will be honest I actually liked the feature until recently when I started needing the AC again. Every time I stop at a light, because the auto start/stop doesn't adjust the fan speed to lower while stopped, the fans start blowing uncomfortably hot air into my face.

Since the AC cuts off when the engine stops, they really should have auto adjust fan speed and returned it to normal when kicking back off. Such a frustrating feature to have to turn off every time I start the car now.
You don't have to push it when you start the car....just anytime before you stop....just push it when you change the radio station or something...

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Indeed. Just discontect the hood switch and you are good to go.
@DBFyre
@uRJeremyK

Sure ... and then your remote start won't work, you see evic notices... 8-(

Far better way to handle ESS is with a SmartStopStart, ESS Disabler.

You can buy one for $129.95. Use it while you have your JL... enjoy the benefit... and then sell it on Craigslist or here, for about 3/4 of what you paid for it after you sell the JL.

The SmartStopStart is very easy to install. May take you 10 minutes...
https://www.smartstopstart.com/?gcl...n5HqUWbYZZlF7MWLOFp485KU1kDVGT1hoCXisQAvD_BwE

smartstopstart.jpg

Attachments

OP
OP
uRJeremyK

uRJeremyK

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
How cold do you need to be? Take your top off.
Its florida... I have the AC at 73, and as soon as I hit the light I am getting blasted with 80-85. Its like turning max heat on at every stop.. its very uncomfortable.

As for the top, it rains every day in the summer here which makes having the top off on work days tough without covered parking.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Its florida... I have the AC at 73, and as soon as I hit the light I am getting blasted with 80-85. Its like turning max heat on at every stop.. its very uncomfortable.

As for the top, it rains every day in the summer here which makes having the top off on work days tough without covered parking.
@uRJeremyK

Consider buying a Sunrider for JL Hard top .......... absolutely wonderful to have, especially, if you reside in Florida... The SR goes up or down in less then say 10 seconds. Paired with an Alien front sunshade, it............. oh my, wonderful to have in Florida... even if you are not retired and have to friggin work.

Sponsored

Sven

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the Taser JL before I took delivery of my '19 JL, thinking I would turn off the Start/Stop feature upon delivery. After driving my new JL around town, I didn't mind the S/S, so when I installed the Taser JL and reduced the threshold to eliminate TPMS alerts so I could run on lower tire pressures, I decided I'd give the S/S a bit of a longer test.

With just over 1K miles on my JL now after a month of in town driving, I find that I don't mind the Start/Stop at all. Its still winter here in MN, so I don't have a A/C issue, nor do I expect any issues with A/C in our mild Summers here, but honestly, I just slide my foot across the brake pedal and the engine restarts. I don't have to take my foot completely off of the pedal, I just let off a little pressure as I slide my foot left-to-right a bit and the engine starts.

Do I notice better gas milage than with my JKUR? Yes, even with a 3.5" lift and 38" tires vs. the 35" tires and a 2.5" lift on my JK. The 8 speed transmission is a gem and a great upgrade (especially in the snow as the back end doesn't dance around much if at all) over the JK's 5 speed, and that is certainly responsible for better gas milage as well. Overall, I like the silence at stop lights and it adds to the ownership experience as it calls out that the JL is a more refined vehicle than the JL.

For now, I'm going to keep the S/S feature enabled. For me, it has been about getting to know this new system and making the most of it.
Sponsored