Sponsored

Auto Park disable - I can't put my top back on!

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Help, I cannot put the top back on my car! I got a lift for my garage that works great for pulling the top off the back of my car. However my garage is low so the top does not go higher than the car, which is fine but when I go to backup the car to put the top back on the back two doors HAVE to be open while backing up otherwise they bang into the top.

But when I try to backup with the doors open the car won’t let me, it says something about Auto Park and shifts the car into park. I try to turn the car completely off and on but it does it every time. I can’t find anything on how to disable this Auto Park thing. So now my car is sitting in my garage and I can’t back it up to get the top back on! (Yes I could put it into neutral but my garage slopes down - I guess so you can hose down the garage - so I don’t want to take the chance of the Jeep rolling down on its own)

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
The auto park system uses two ways to confirm that a driver is actually in the seat. One is that the drivers door is closed and the other is that the seatbelt is buckled. As long as you have one of these done, auto park shouldn’t engage.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Help, I cannot put the top back on my car! I got a lift for my garage that works great for pulling the top off the back of my car. However my garage is low so the top does not go higher than the car, which is fine but when I go to backup the car to put the top back on the back two doors HAVE to be open while backing up otherwise they bang into the top.

But when I try to backup with the doors open the car won’t let me, it says something about Auto Park and shifts the car into park. I try to turn the car completely off and on but it does it every time. I can’t find anything on how to disable this Auto Park thing. So now my car is sitting in my garage and I can’t back it up to get the top back on! (Yes I could put it into neutral but my garage slopes down - I guess so you can hose down the garage - so I don’t want to take the chance of the Jeep rolling down on its own)

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
@Asterix2112

There is no way to disable auto park!

Do read and learn about "auto park".

Do know that if you have driver's side seat buckle fastened (fasten it up behind you if you want) auto park is not going to engage.

Just keeping light, constant foot pressure on the brake pedal will keep auto park from engaging..

Click to enlarge:
Jeep Wrangler JL Auto Park disable - I can't put my top back on! autopark info.JPG

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
OP, what you need is a bigger garage!

Sponsored

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I read your description of the problem about 4 times. I'm unable to visualize the problem described.
If the lift works to raise the hardtop enough to get the 'jeep' out from under it. Then the reverse process should work the same way.

Pictures would help.... however the bandaid solutions is to unplug the harness as previous recommend from both doors.

WaX

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
If I understand correctly, your top is hitting the rear door frames when trying to back under it to reinstall, because your raised clearance is so minimal.
What you need is someone sitting in the back seat to give the front lip of the top a slight push up as you back under it, then you won't need the doors open to do so.

OP
OP

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Thanks all, I managed to turn everything off and close the doors, then I was able to get it to work... Very odd!

It's just me, and yes it hits the frame (already have a nice scratch) so the doors have to be open when backing up.
Sponsored