Auto or 6-Speed....and why

billyjk7

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler JKU on 40s and Tons
I cant decide......I love that the automatic is a smooth reliable trans....but its a lifestyle truck....I think I want the fun of shifting and feeling what it is doing.....Thoughts?
Sponsored

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
Well what is your priority a smooth and economical trans or a fun trans?
Keep in mind things like the traffic in your area: is it stop and go?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The ONLY reason to go with the manual is for the fun of shifting. In every other category the automatic stomps it into the ground. So yeah, I agree with him ^^^ you need to just decide how important rowing through the gears is to you.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Auto because I am lazy and I live in Nashville TN, where the shortest distance between two points is a traffic jam.

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
I'm getting a manual because I would hate the automatic. It would be no fun to me. I don't mind manual in traffic. It is second nature to me.

Top down, doors off and rowing my gears. Perfect truck. My partner is pushing for an automatic. I'm paying for it so she is just gonna get a middle finger from me lol. She can get her own then.

Sponsored

MACHZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 RAM Rebel, 19 subaru forester
Auto because I'm lazy and I don't keep vehicles long and auto has better resale.

JustSomeGuy

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Outback XT, 2005 Outback 2.5i, 2004 Miata, 2018 Civic
The biggest concern here is the reduced towing capacity. Since I don't specifically have heavy towing planned at this time I think I'll take the chance. It appears that the towing package will still be available. If it becomes a problem down the road, I expect the aftermarket to supply a solution. Swapping one 6 speed for another is much easier than swapping an auto out for a manual.

jeepinjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Since my wife has a hard time with a stick I will be going the auto route.

Also on the JT the additional gears for likely better efficiency, additional towing capacity, and convenience of an auto are also selling points.

There are times when it is nice to be able to have more control over the gear you are in, but I would guess that you can use the auto in a manumatic mode and shift through the gears to an extent without an manual.

Sponsored

ClawSS

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Sierra, 2010 Camaro. 2009 300C SRT8, 2004 Silverado
Auto...for reasons previously listed
  1. Towing
  2. Economical
  3. Manumatic mode
  4. Wife friendly when needing designated driver
  5. Lazy

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
My 2009 Tacoma was a blast with a stick... I left people at the line with my 4 banger and still got better gas mileage than them. I loved it until I got a couple of days of bumper to bumper snow traffic where I was riding the clutch for my entire 20 mile commute. I decided then that I didn't necessarily need it and switched to auto with my next vehicle.

For THIS vehicle, I want the towing capacity and I am fine not riding the clutch in the winter. I'm also looking forward to using one of these modern, 8-speed automatic transmissions. If it means I get better mpg, that's cool. If it means i can tow better, that's cool too.

Last edited:

JJStasen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 RAM, 12 Tahoe, 97 TJ [RIP 99 XJ ton's and 35's]
Vehicle Showcase
Auto -

1 - Wife and kid can't drive a stick
2 - Its 2018, manual transmissions are for old muscle cars

Vox

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR Bear
agree with most, auto's have come a LONG way and most outperform MT's by a wide margin. In this case, add the extra towing capabilities and it's pretty much a no-brainer unless you don't intend on towing and enjoying rowing. (hey that rhymed)

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
agree with most, auto's have come a LONG way and most outperform MT's by a wide margin. In this case, add the extra towing capabilities and it's pretty much a no-brainer unless you don't intend on towing and enjoying rowing. (hey that rhymed)
I do intend on towing but I don't perceive that there is that much of a penalty for towing at least for my needs.

Shame they don't develop the manual transmission anymore. Just corral the manual buyers into an automatic.
Sponsored