Auto Diesel Availability?

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This may be a bit of a silly question... but...

One thing I've wondered about, but not seen specifically addressed, is the availability of auto diesel pumps in general -- especially along interstates. I had always assumed that going on a long road trip with a JLURD would be event free as there are truck stops everywhere, but I didn't know that those pumps are actually high-flow and a different size. Is this a real concern, or is it not a problem in practice? If it is an issue, is there a general way to address? Fuel cans for transfer in a pinch?

I see that it came with a funnel. Is that intended to be used to fill from one of the rig pumps if needed? I can't imagine that would be a very clean process and I can't imagine that the line behind me would be overly happy waiting while I transfer fuel in 5 gallons increments.

So.. is that really a concern?
Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

I thought I read there is an adapter with the Jeep for this issue.

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
This may be a bit of a silly question... but...

One thing I've wondered about, but not seen specifically addressed, is the availability of auto diesel pumps in general -- especially along interstates. I had always assumed that going on a long road trip with a JLURD would be event free as there are truck stops everywhere, but I didn't know that those pumps are actually high-flow and a different size. Is this a real concern, or is it not a problem in practice? If it is an issue, is there a general way to address? Fuel cans for transfer in a pinch?

I see that it came with a funnel. Is that intended to be used to fill from one of the rig pumps if needed? I can't imagine that would be a very clean process and I can't imagine that the line behind me would be overly happy waiting while I transfer fuel in 5 gallons increments.

So.. is that really a concern?
Funnel works well - have used multiple times. AND quite a few stations I have gone to also have the smaller nozzles at separate pumps for autos/JPs. I do not see an issue for you :) I do however carry gloves and cleaner to eliminate and/or get rid of diesel on hands.

OP
OP
mcjeff

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I thought I read there is an adapter with the Jeep for this issue.
Yeah, there is a funnel. I wouldn't call it an "adapter", though. From the looks of it, I'd have to jam it into the fuel tank and then try to trickle from a high-flow rig pump into the funnel. Seems to be okay to get a partial tank full in a pinch I guess.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mcjeff

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Funnel works well - have used multiple times. AND quite a few stations I have gone to also have the smaller nozzles at separate pumps for autos/JPs. I do not see an issue for you :) I do however carry gloves and cleaner to eliminate and/or get rid of diesel on hands.
Thanks! That's reassuring. I'll toss in a pair of gloves and some cleaner for when I'm going on long trips, in case it comes down to the funnel.

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

Thanks! That's reassuring. I'll toss in a pair of gloves and some cleaner for when I'm going on long trips, in case it comes down to the funnel.
I've found it easier to use the towels from the dispenser by the pumps. I dont have to carry gloves then.

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
And you will find many times that non-truck stops have diesel. Around where I live, most do but we live in farm country.

Deleted member 59498

I have my new diesel on order, been a while since I have had a diesel, I forgot how stinky the pump can be on the hands!

OP
OP
mcjeff

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
And you will find many times that non-truck stops have diesel. Around where I live, most do but we live in farm country.
About half of them have diesel near me (SW PA). It sounds like it's probably not an issue. I think the trick to avoiding the funnel would be not to drive it down to 1/10th of a tank or whatever and just to leave some room GasBuddy or whatever to do it's thing. Maybe I'll give the the funnel a test run before I take the thing to FL in a few months.

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I'm in the middle of a long road trip. I've had no problem finding car diesel pumps at truck stops and other stations.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Pull the filler neck and remove the discriminator (<<<that's what we've been calling it). There is a good thread on here with pictures. Large size nozzles will fit at that point. But if they are too high flow they will kick off right away because of the piping size and change of direction. You may have to stand there and hold it with some high flow nozzles.

Still completely worth it IMO.

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
I would not be concerned. Just about every truck stop has a section for cars and that section also has diesel pumps.

nsfw_andy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUR Ecodiesel
I’ll be removing the restrictor from the filler neck as my first mod when I get my 2022 for peace of mind on long road trips

OP
OP
mcjeff

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Alright.. I might buy a second filler neck I guess and give that a go. Seems worth it. In the meantime, I'm not going to worry too much. I did order one of those Audi adapters (someone noted above). I checked the funnel it came with and it seems pretty Mickey Mouse as compared to that one.
Sponsored