se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
@HoosierJL

I figure I'll have no trouble finding the sensor behind that hole.. I did want to see your insulation job as you said your way of insulating it, netted you an improvement.
Agree with this. @HoosierJL , shoot us a quick video or a couple pics to help us out. Would be very grateful for any additional insight you can provide. Maybe your quick fix in conjunction with the TSB could be the perfect combination.
Sponsored

HoosierJL

First Name
Fletch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Agree with this. @HoosierJL , shoot us a quick video or a couple pics to help us out. Would be very grateful for any additional insight you can provide. Maybe your quick fix in conjunction with the TSB could be the perfect combination.
Here are the pics you requested.

This is the driver lower dash panel with arrow pointing to the air inlet that leads to the temp sensor. There are 6 tabs holding this panel on. Pull it directly toward the rear of the Jeep to pull out the tabs.
IMG_0345.jpg

Here is the sensor is with the driver lower dash panel removed. This shows the foam insulation already installed.
IMG_0346.jpg

And here is the up close shot of the foam wrapped around the temp sensor. The foam elbow I selected had adhesive built in.

IMG_0347.jpg

This is the remaining piece of the foam elbow that I purchased. I took my dull razor knife and cut off a piece to fit.

upload_2019-2-4_11-34-17.png

I hope that helps.

I'm not sure how effective this "fix" has been on the JL. On my JK it was immediately obvious that everything temperature related was better. On my JL I think the temperature stays warmer now once that dash panel warms up. I believe before that the sensor was feeling the heat from the plastic and turning down the cab temperature even though the air was still to cool.

The JL climate system still seems somewhat reluctant to keep the heat blowing.

Fletch

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
This is perfect and thanks for the quick How To, @HoosierJL !

I will do this mod this week. Hope it helps as much as you say. It's certainly worth a try.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That's a nearly 20 degree spread between set temp and actual temp in the Jeep after driving for a half hour during the afternoon. Wow. That's....awful. Seems like the software flash didn't do anything at all for this issue. It probably was solely meant to decrease blower fan speed since so many people were bitching about having a cool engine on a hot day and wonderful A/C output in the cabin on a hot day. Sigh...

Sponsored

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
The temperature on my 18 JLUR hardtop is much more comfortable since I added the Hot Head headliner. Before adding it I was keeping the temperature set at 74 and it would be warm around my feet and legs but felt like cold drafts around my head. After adding the headliner I now keep the temperature at 71 and the temperature in the jeep feels much more consistent head to toe. I think with the sensors in the lower half of the jeep and the tops not providing much insulation the system is unable to detect and balance the temperature.

dugal

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara, 1974 BMW R90/6
Occupation
Retired, the best job I ever had.
Mine works great. Unless I have the windshield defrost on. Then, it blows cold air on me. I’ve been wondering if anyone else has this happen, but haven’t posted.
My wife complains about an intermittent cool draft on the passenger side when the heat is on. I haven't noticed it on the driver side. I found another problem (feature?) - the recirculate function turns itself off after some period of time that I haven't been able to determine. On every other car/truck I had it stays on until i toggle it off.

Cheers

Sponsored

dpowell5523

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My temp is not the issue with mine. When in auto, blows out the dash and at the feet. My feel are always cold. Only way to limit it to the dash is select dash and disengage auto.

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Is there actually a recall? I just hit 1K miles on the odometer of my JLUR and heat / cold has been super weird.

I'll have A/C engaged, be at 68 or 69 degrees and blowing hot air. Will then go to Max A/C, will be super cold then go back to say 69 or 69 and feels cooler. No idea what's going on...

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
How does everyone's auto auto climate work in their Jeep? The A/Cseemed to work great in the summer. Admittedly I rode topless for most of the summer though.

BUT... Now that it's gotten cold, i have noticed that the auto function is much less effective. Like, when it's cold out and cold in the Jeep, the heat may come on but only what seems to me to be a small amount considering what I think is the interior temperature. Other times I have noticed cool air blowing out when the interior temperature is obviously below the set temp.

It just seems like the interior sensors are off or something. Even when I turn it to HI it doesn't really seem to be all that hot. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Personally, I think the "auto" climate is broke. It does work well, as you indicate in high temps, and I'm OK with it in low temps as well, but it seems that there's no middle ground for dealing with weather from 60-70's outside. It's either too slow to respond, to fast, and too cold when it does. This is poor programming, or a poorly (more than one?) placed sensor or both. None of my BMW's suffered from this kind of stuff. I actually just keep the system off when it's in the 60's and 70's, otherwise, I have to fidget with it too much.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
THIS!!!! As a service advisor at a Jeep dealer, I can 100% agree. I have customers sometimes that come in with various small complaints. Most of the time we can’t replicate it at the dealer, so automatically they assume we’re lying or being lazy, when really we just have no idea where to start. So I often say take videos or pictures of what’s happening so we can try to pin point where to diagnose. Being active on the forums and everything else, I’m fairly up to date with stuff when it comes to the JL and WK2s which is very beneficial to me so I can help my customer better.
FCA and the dealer network need 1000 people just like you.

Thank you for being both proactive and open minded. I am sure that your customers appreciate every bit of it.
Sponsored