Sponsored

Auto climate control not as effective in the cold

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
How does everyone's auto auto climate work in their Jeep? The A/Cseemed to work great in the summer. Admittedly I rode topless for most of the summer though.

BUT... Now that it's gotten cold, i have noticed that the auto function is much less effective. Like, when it's cold out and cold in the Jeep, the heat may come on but only what seems to me to be a small amount considering what I think is the interior temperature. Other times I have noticed cool air blowing out when the interior temperature is obviously below the set temp.

It just seems like the interior sensors are off or something. Even when I turn it to HI it doesn't really seem to be all that hot. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Sponsored

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Not really cold where I am, but auto seems to be working fine in the cooler temps.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Works ok for me. My only issue is finding the seeet spot, particularly on long rides. 73 too hot, 72 too cold. I end up bouncing up and down 1 degree, which can get annoying.

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
How does everyone's auto auto climate work in their Jeep? The A/Cseemed to work great in the summer. Admittedly I rode topless for most of the summer though.

BUT... Now that it's gotten cold, i have noticed that the auto function is much less effective. Like, when it's cold out and cold in the Jeep, the heat may come on but only what seems to me to be a small amount considering what I think is the interior temperature. Other times I have noticed cool air blowing out when the interior temperature is obviously below the set temp.

It just seems like the interior sensors are off or something. Even when I turn it to HI it doesn't really seem to be all that hot. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Mine works great. Unless I have the windshield defrost on. Then, it blows cold air on me. I’ve been wondering if anyone else has this happen, but haven’t posted.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm disappointed in it. I had auto climate control on a Nissan Frontier and it worked GREAT. I loved that feature. So I got it on the JL and it doesn't work well at all.

Some days I have to put mine on 70, some days 74, some days 72, some days 76 just to stay comfortable...and this is with the exterior ambient temperature the same! Completely defeats the purpose of "automatic climate control" if you ask me.

I wish I had saved the $1,000 on the Tech Package and used it toward the Cold Weather Package instead. Would have been more useful.

Sponsored

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Some days I have to put mine on 70, some days 74, some days 72, some days 76 just to stay comfortable...and this is with the exterior ambient temperature the same! Completely defeats the purpose of "automatic climate control" if you ask me.

Yeah similar for me. And that includes the temperature of the heated seats and steering wheel too. It’s not like it doesn’t work, more like you have to figure it out each time like the first time you drove the Jeep.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I am still waiting for the JL to arrive in Australia. In the meantime I took for a test drive a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk - just in case.

The day was a little warm so I turned on the A/C.

The A/C was not on automatic as far as I know.

After a short time it started to get cold so I made an adjustment.

After a short time it started to get warm so I made an adjustment.

" "
" "
" "

In a 30 min test drive I probably made 15 adjustments!

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
Doesn't work worth a crap in mine......the only way mine works is if the wife is along and she's running it. That's auto climate control.

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
So now I have to worry about a MF climate control? I've had those in all my cars for the past 15 + years , you set it and forget it. So now that also half-ass works in a Wrangler?

What else is wrong with JL? I've never read about so many headaches and such trivial shit that doesn't work on JL

It's like my buddy said welcome to American Cars I guess

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Mine seems to work fine. Yes, it's a tad quirky but I'm getting used to it.
The heat will not kick up the fan speed until after the motor and or the heat reaches the correct temp to do so. Otherwise, it would just be blowing cold air. It does make me feel impatient at times. After that the cabin seems to stay around 70-73 where I set it at.
My only gripe is that I like my heat coming from the floor and defrost only. I never use the vents except for AC. Yes, I can pick that option from the climate button, but it turns off the auto climate and or sync.

Sponsored

Kansascoast

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JKU, 2drJL
I have owned a number of different vehicles with the automatic climate control dating back to 1990 and this seems to be the best one I’ve ever had. It is the most consistent, most comfortable and easiest to modify settings. I like it!

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
So now I have to worry about a MF climate control? I've had those in all my cars for the past 15 + years , you set it and forget it. So now that also half-ass works in a Wrangler?

What else is wrong with JL? I've never read about so many headaches and such trivial shit that doesn't work on JL

It's like my buddy said welcome to American Cars I guess
It's really very simple, don't buy one....enjoy your latte.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Works ok for me. My only issue is finding the seeet spot, particularly on long rides. 73 too hot, 72 too cold. I end up bouncing up and down 1 degree, which can get annoying.
This is exactly what mine does. I set it on one degree and it gets too hot. Drop it one degree and it gets too cold

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Mine is very finicky to. Up 1 degree then down and so forth. Defrost and you get nothing but scalding hot. There appears to be an issue or 2. Still checking things before I send it in for a check. I thought I read somewhere about the JL having temp sensors all around the cab. Wonder if that may play into things
Sponsored