Sponsored

Auto Climate Control - Hi or Lo and nothing else

JMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
I've been searching here and googling and still can't figure this out. My JLUR has been basically in storage for 6 months. Just got home, hooked the batteries back up, and now I have two issues:

1) auto climate control only has two temperature positions "Hi" and "Lo." If you try to move the sliders to any temp, it just pops right to "Hi" or "Lo" again.

2) Maybe related, but the u-connect screen will only show driver seat heat, but not passenger. But I can hit the physical button and the heated passenger seat does work.

What I've tried so far: checked fuses, made sure all fuses were firmly installed, factory reset, took off hvac control panel and physically unplugged, then plugged back in.

Nothing changes. "Hi" or "Lo" only. What known issue have I missed?
Sponsored

OP
OP
JMatt

JMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
Seriously? Has no one heard of this before? I can't be the only one.....can I?

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Could it be a battery issue? Weird things happen with the electronics when those batteries aren't up to snuff.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

What known issue have I missed?
Probably not an issue. Since you had to reconnect the battery after such a long time, the radio needs to re-learn what the vehicle actually has in it. It needs some time to actually sleep and learn, now that the battery is connected. Let the vehicle sit for up to 48 hours and things should return to normal.

OP
OP
JMatt

JMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
Probably not an issue. Since you had to reconnect the battery after such a long time, the radio needs to re-learn what the vehicle actually has in it. It needs some time to actually sleep and learn, now that the battery is connected. Let the vehicle sit for up to 48 hours and things should return to normal.
Wow. I didn't know that was a thing. I'll hold my breath another day or so. Thanks for the tip!

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Modern vehicles, jl included, have a significant computer network on board. When you disconnect the battery the different modules lose all their stored information about each other. Leave the batteries connected and come back out in an hour or so. Or just start driving around, it takes a little while but as all the module start talking to each other again, they all learn your vehicle's options and the UConnect screen displays the right features for your jeep. All features will come back automatically.
I had the same issue when I disconnected my PCM. The other modules got all pissed off that they lost communications with the pcm. Next morning I got up, fired up the jeep and everything was back to normal. I've seen it many times on many different vehicles.

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My JK's Sway Bar connector got water in it and caused my jeep to not start because it was connected to the CANBUS.... modern vehicles 🙄

Although, I'd think it would be able to re-learn everything in just a few minutes. I'm not sure about your issue....

However, I do recommend in the future using a battery maintainer. It'll keep a deep charge on your battery and keep it like new: https://smile.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS1-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B07W46BX31/

I use these on my boat batteries and camper to maintain a healthy battery.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Don’t worry at all. Same exact thing happened to me after I disconnected my battery and then reconnected it. Everything will come back within hours. This happens to every single JL if the battery is disconnected.

eball

First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
I've been searching here and googling and still can't figure this out. My JLUR has been basically in storage for 6 months. Just got home, hooked the batteries back up, and now I have two issues:

1) auto climate control only has two temperature positions "Hi" and "Lo." If you try to move the sliders to any temp, it just pops right to "Hi" or "Lo" again.

2) Maybe related, but the u-connect screen will only show driver seat heat, but not passenger. But I can hit the physical button and the heated passenger seat does work.

What I've tried so far: checked fuses, made sure all fuses were firmly installed, factory reset, took off hvac control panel and physically unplugged, then plugged back in.

Nothing changes. "Hi" or "Lo" only. What known issue have I missed?

I have had a similar problem for a while. I have Hi and LOW working well but NO adjusting temperature in between. My ac is ON and set at 64 but it's blowing an inferno heat wave. I can push the button to increase temperature but it stays exactly the same temperature (by feeling the vent) If I push the down arrow down down down down until I get to LOW it will blow freezing cold air. It does not decrease in temp unless I go all the way to LOW. I took it to the dealer twice, they told me NO problems exist. I was bothered by that. BUT Then I went again and they said it was a trap like door that needed to be changed out. A door that opens and closes as temperature increases/decreases.I waited 1 day for the part to arrive, but 2 weeks for them to install said part. My temperature controls worked properly for ONE whole day and now it's back to Inferno heat or freezing cold. NOTHING in between. My Jeep started this 4 months ago at about 4k miles.

Sponsored

daciasalinas

First Name
Dacia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2021 JLU 392
I have had a similar problem for a while. I have Hi and LOW working well but NO adjusting temperature in between. My ac is ON and set at 64 but it's blowing an inferno heat wave. I can push the button to increase temperature but it stays exactly the same temperature (by feeling the vent) If I push the down arrow down down down down until I get to LOW it will blow freezing cold air. It does not decrease in temp unless I go all the way to LOW. I took it to the dealer twice, they told me NO problems exist. I was bothered by that. BUT Then I went again and they said it was a trap like door that needed to be changed out. A door that opens and closes as temperature increases/decreases.I waited 1 day for the part to arrive, but 2 weeks for them to install said part. My temperature controls worked properly for ONE whole day and now it's back to Inferno heat or freezing cold. NOTHING in between. My Jeep started this 4 months ago at about 4k miles.
I have a 2019 JLU and 2021 392 BOTH have this continuous issue along with the WIFI constantly cutting out. I have to pull the fuses every 2 weeks or so to reset all while Jeep tells me there’s no issue…within 50 miles on the brand new 392 the wifi issue started and now the temp control only toggles between lo and hi… zero response from jeep about this.. it’s definitely not connected to the battery being disconnected or the vehicle sitting as it’s now happened on 2 vehicles that have never had the battery disconnected or sat longer than overnight not being driven. Definitely needs to be addressed by jeep.

jpclark

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Xtreme Recon
Well.. I'm sadly experiencing the your issue #1 right now. I had my 2021 JLURD at my custom shop doing (among other things) adding some lights. They disconnected battery power. When I picked up the Jeep I actually had the issue of the cameras not working. (Got the 'check surroundings' message followed quickly by a blue screen and 'camera system unavailable' message) further scrutiny, I also realized that (like the original post) my AC was basically stuck on low or high, but always blowing hot. I would rest comfortably and wait for things to just "settle back in" except I'm scheduled to leave on a long and arduous trip in 3.5 days. The original poster mentioned that this problem self-resolved over time. 1) How LONG, 2) Was driving and/or having the vehicle powered up a variable? Anything anyone can offer about how to speed up this 'recovery' period would be MUCH appreciated... I really don't want to have to drive 700 miles across Texas in this heat with the Jeep blowing hot air.

ewizzle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe, 2022 X5 45e
I just had this issue. Had the battery disconnected while I was installing the Mopar brake controller for the JL. Once I connected the battery, the car was in this weird mode as OP mentioned. Also some of the Apps wasn't installed, like no back up camera, etc.

Literally, just lock the car up and walk away from it for an hour. Car was fine after an hour of not touching it. Weird.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Literally, just lock the car up and walk away from it for an hour. Car was fine after an hour of not touching it. Weird.
It's not weird. It is 100% normal. These vehicles are computer driven and the controls are tightly integrated with the vehicle's CANBUS. When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, the vehicle needs time to "learn" all of its features/functions and may not operate 100% until it does so. Any time the battery is disconnected, you need to let the vehicle sit for up to 48 hours (yes, sometimes it takes this long) after it is reconnected for all features/functions to reappear and for the vehicle to operate normally.

kiehtan

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just happened to me and I was freaking out until I saw this post. My auto shut off died, (I hate this feature and turn it off when I remember) and few days later I couldn't start my jeep. I changed out the battery and aux battery but the auto start was still showing unavailable. So I swapped out the Z case fuse array and the auto shut off was back, but the uconnect was all weird. Just hi and low on the temp, the colors changed...really weird. It's only been an hour or so but fingers crossed it's just "relearning".
Sponsored