Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
So looking at first quarter 2019 for JL release now.

Scuttlebut is we should have a couple in country around november so they can look at accessories and that sort of thing, If I hear anything else I'll update if i'm allowed to.
I don't mind waiting until they iron out at least the current issues or until maybe a V8 option comes along... but seems like I'm the idiot for expecting at least the latter because it's perfectly fine for a 6.4 and the Hellcat engines to go in the Grand Cherokees and the 6.4s in the Durangos but if the Wrangler gets a V8, it'll be the end of the human civilization as we know it because a Wrangler needs to stay true to the original like with the hybrid engines and full time 4WD they have now. FCA's decisions are shockingly puzzling and before any smartarse says "big brother FCA knows best" , I'd like to point out all of the issues and the recalls and the crap that people put up with because FCA doesn't want to admit to messing up (e.g. sand in coolant issue from sometime back).
Sponsored

OP
OP

a3lawy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E350
I don't mind waiting until they iron out at least the current issues or until maybe a V8 option comes along... but seems like I'm the idiot for expecting at least the latter because it's perfectly fine for a 6.4 and the Hellcat engines to go in the Grand Cherokees and the 6.4s in the Durangos but if the Wrangler gets a V8, it'll be the end of the human civilization as we know it because a Wrangler needs to stay true to the original like with the hybrid engines and full time 4WD they have now. FCA's decisions are shockingly puzzling and before any smartarse says "big brother FCA knows best" , I'd like to point out all of the issues and the recalls and the crap that people put up with because FCA doesn't want to admit to messing up (e.g. sand in coolant issue from sometime back).
Putting aside some of the hyperbole in that comment and that fact I too would actually love to have a V8 in one, Jeep did create a concept called the Trailcat. It clearly takes a lot more than just plopping an engine in the car but needs to have beefed up components throughout which may make it cost-prohibitve. I don't think it'll ever be released though and not sure if it does suit the vehicle’s intended purpose as a hardcore offroader.

https://mashable.com/2016/03/10/jeep-trailcat/
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/check-out-707-horsepower-jeep-trailcat-250753
http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1707-jeep-wrangler-trailcat-spotted-on-public-roads/

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Jeep did create a concept called the Trailcat. It clearly takes a lot more than just plopping an engine in the car but needs to have beefed up components throughout which may make it cost-prohibitve. I don't think it'll ever be released though and not sure if it does suit the vehicle’s intended purpose as a hardcore offroader.
I'm well aware of that literall mock up they call the Trailcat. Third parties have done far superior jobs of doing all kinds of engine swaps... in fact, I don't think I've seen a worse job of an engine swap by anyone on a Wrangler compared to the Trailcat.

All of the things you mentioned about doing it right apply to GCs and Durangos too but it seems they don't have issues putting those big engines on heavier vehicles (should be the opposite)... hybrids, I4s, naturally aspirated V6s with built-in headers and nissan leaf style electrics in the future are for the vehicle with the most diverse and enthusiastic fan base in the world.

Joey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 grand cherokee
Got an update today, dealer saying demos will be in stock December but expected Delivery date will be about April due to demand oversea also said no news if we will get the diesel Rubicon either. Glad I am in no rush as I reckon it will be pushed back again.

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Been waiting months for the JL Rubicon to land in Australia. Been on the Jeep US site and configured a JL Rubicon to see what it'll look like, and just did the same on the Jeep.co.uk (jeep UK) site and it turns out the UK Rubicon is only available with plastic bumpers, stock height fender flares, and worst of all 255/75/17 "32" inch tyres! Now I could be wrong, but I believe the OZ spec rubi will be the same as the UK rubi. Having sold my 4X4 two months ago, and waiting on the arrival of the JL, I'd be pretty pissed if we missed out on the 33 inch tyres. As Australian mod guidelines allow a 50mm (2 inch) increase in tyre diameter. So a 33 inch tyre from the factory allows the legal fitment of 35 inch tyres. Could be a deciding factor for me. Come on Jeep Australia, give us access to a fully loaded JL Rubicon...

Sponsored

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
UK spec JL Rubicon with 32's, plastic bumpers and stock height (low) fenders. Hope this ain't the OZ spec version.

UK JL Wrangler front.PNG

Joey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 grand cherokee
Update today by email from Knox Jeep sales rep is Chris.

Good afternoon everyone,

This is a quick email to inform you of some news we have finally received on the Wrangler JLS.

Specs for the vehicles Australia will be able to sell will be released in the third week of this month.

Pricing will be released of the vehicles on the third week of January.

The first JL Wrangler to hit our shores April 1st.

For those who have made a deposit already, you will have first pick when they arrive in April.

For anyone willing to put a deposit down on a JL if you would like to join the cue please contact myself directly on 0424035836, with so many orders if you don’t make a deposit, unfortunately the chances of getting your hands on a JL in April is minimal, it would be most likely 3-6 months further until you receive one if you placed an order in April.

We make sure when you place a deposit the order is made “Subject to pricing and specs and test drive.”

To insure you are 100% happy when they do arrive before finalising the deal.

Magpie Mick

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi pajero sport
Update today by email from Knox Jeep sales rep is Chris.

Good afternoon everyone,

This is a quick email to inform you of some news we have finally received on the Wrangler JLS.

Specs for the vehicles Australia will be able to sell will be released in the third week of this month.

Pricing will be released of the vehicles on the third week of January.

The first JL Wrangler to hit our shores April 1st.

For those who have made a deposit already, you will have first pick when they arrive in April.

For anyone willing to put a deposit down on a JL if you would like to join the cue please contact myself directly on 0424035836, with so many orders if you don’t make a deposit, unfortunately the chances of getting your hands on a JL in April is minimal, it would be most likely 3-6 months further until you receive one if you placed an order in April.

We make sure when you place a deposit the order is made “Subject to pricing and specs and test drive.”

To insure you are 100% happy when they do arrive before finalising the deal.

Magpie Mick

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi pajero sport
Why are we only getting a 2.2 diesel.. The smallest diesel available in a full sized 4wd iin Australia. We are also only getting 32s on the Rubicon which means legally we cant put 35s on it , not that the 2.2 would cope with the larger tires anyway. I live in out back Australia where there are lots of road trains and it would be a white knuckled ride passing them with the 2.2 .

Sponsored

Magpie Mick

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi pajero sport
Oh ok, don't care about diesel at all so that's fine. Read the PDF but no confirmation that's the Aussie release. I'm hoping we're not getting the 2018 model in April 2019...
I live in Newman WA . The nearest town from us is 450ks away . My old JK Rubi couldn't make it without having to stop at the Auski roadhouse to fuel up . I was really hoping we would get the 3.0 because its not going to be much fun passing the road trains in the 2.2 especially if i have the 6 b 4 on the back . The 3.6 dosnt handle bigger wheels btw
Sponsored