Austin to South Dakota?

Rfolsom

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 willys unlimited
I have always wanted to do a trip like this in the summer. Has anyone here done that?
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Well if you make it to South Dakota, visit Mount Rushmore just before sunset. The sunset presentation is not to be missed. They call the veterans up on stage, lower the flag and present the flag to the oldest veteran. Give some history about the site, watch the sunset behind the heads, and then they light of the past president's faces. It is a moving ceremony.

There is also some great wheeling around the black hills.

Plenty of cool stuff to see on the trip up also.

Flanman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from computer sales
I’m planning a trip this summer from DFW to Mt. Rushmore! I was going to drive straight up, camp somewhere in Kansas then to SD. Coming home I was going to go through Colorado.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I did this in 2019. Not in the Jeep but wasn't needed. Took the much more comfortable Honda Pilot. Week long adventure. Here are some things we saw/did. PM me if you want more details around the itinerary and places we stayed.
Badlands National Park - prairie dogs
Mount Rushmore
Crazy Horse Memorial
Zip Line Tour / Alpine Slide
Devils Tower
UTV Tour in the Black Hills
Cathedral spikes hiking trail
Needles Highway
Iron Mountain Highway
Custer State Park - buffalo
White Water Rafting
Royal Gorge bridge
Pikes Peak
Horse back @ Garden of Gods
Cosmo's Magic Show
Cadillac Ranch

oldmannewjeep

First Name
Malcolm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Planning to do this trip from Dallas in September/October. Returning through Minnesota and Iowa. Suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I’ve been a couple of times. Take 281 for a more scenic drive through small towns. If you take 35 you will wind up in the far southeast part of the state, then have to drive 400 miles west. All you will see is typical interstate highway full of 18 wheelers.

the Black Hills are really a small mountain range. Definitely visit Mt Rushmore, Sturgis and Deadwood/Lead. The Badlands at sunset is crazy pretty. Drives through the Black Hills are very scenic. Try to get there before June as the area gets very tourist heavy, July is worse and August should be a avoided altogether unless you want the full biker rally experience.

Last time we came back through Wyoming and Colorado. You will see many herds of pronghorns. Stopped to take a drive up Pikes Peak. After we hit New Mexico, take e left at Raton and take 87 back toward Texas. You will see the Rockies slowly fade into the plains. There is an interesting old volcano on that road. I wanted to stop, but didn’t have time. You can see it pretty well from the road though. When you reach Amarillo, try to at least take a drive through the Palo Duro canyon. A very pretty place. You’ll find Cadillac Ranch there along IH 40 too.

The rest of the drive you will see the caprock and mesas where the Llano Estacado is separated from the low plains. Lots of windmills have covered the mesas in this area and have ruined the scenery. Take 87 to IH 10. Take the 290 exit and head east back to Austin. Stop in Fredericksburg and stretch your legs. Take a short drive north on Hwy 16 and see Enchanted Rock. Or a short drive south on 1376 and visit Luckenbach for a cold beer and live music.

OP
OP
Rfolsom

Rfolsom

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 willys unlimited
I’ve been a couple of times. Take 281 for a more scenic drive through small towns. If you take 35 you will wind up in the far southeast part of the state, then have to drive 400 miles west. All you will see is typical interstate highway full of 18 wheelers.

the Black Hills are really a small mountain range. Definitely visit Mt Rushmore, Sturgis and Deadwood/Lead. The Badlands at sunset is crazy pretty. Drives through the Black Hills are very scenic. Try to get there before June as the area gets very tourist heavy, July is worse and August should be a avoided altogether unless you want the full biker rally experience.

Last time we came back through Wyoming and Colorado. You will see many herds of pronghorns. Stopped to take a drive up Pikes Peak. After we hit New Mexico, take e left at Raton and take 87 back toward Texas. You will see the Rockies slowly fade into the plains. There is an interesting old volcano on that road. I wanted to stop, but didn’t have time. You can see it pretty well from the road though. When you reach Amarillo, try to at least take a drive through the Palo Duro canyon. A very pretty place. You’ll find Cadillac Ranch there along IH 40 too.

The rest of the drive you will see the caprock and mesas where the Llano Estacado is separated from the low plains. Lots of windmills have covered the mesas in this area and have ruined the scenery. Take 87 to IH 10. Take the 290 exit and head east back to Austin. Stop in Fredericksburg and stretch your legs. Take a short drive north on Hwy 16 and see Enchanted Rock. Or a short drive south on 1376 and visit Luckenbach for a cold beer and live music.
That sounds awesome! Where did you stop along the way? How many days did it take to drive up each way?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
One hard day up. A stop in Salina, KS would be a good jumping off point for an easy drive the next day.

Stayed in Wall, SD at a cool little vintage roadside motel that was very nice. Visit Wall Drug. A giant store that takes up most of 2 blocks. An odd combination of tourist trinkets and actual quality stuff.

Spent a couple days in the Black Hills doing all the tourist stuff. Visited my FILs grave at the Natl Cemetary in Sturgis, one of the nicest I’ve visited.

Next day was Belle Fourshe, SD, Wyoming and Devils Tower. Spent the night in In Hulett, WY at another vintage motel.

Next day drove south, stopped in Cheyenne and visited the Frontier Days museum and gift shop, then hauled ass to Las Vegas, NM and stayed at some forgettable place. The next day was Santa Fe, then Albuquerque, NM. Took the gondola tram up to the summit of Sandia Peak. Ate a nice meal up there.

If you have time, stop in between and drive up Pikes Peak. I did it on another trip out there. Also took the old railroad trail from Canon City, Co up to Victor and Cripple Creek, Phantom Canyon Rd. A fairly easy drive, even in a pickup or SUV.

The next day was Amarillo and Palo Duro Canyon, definitely worth seeing. After that we spent the night in Lubbock, then hauled ass home the next day.

So, get there fast and come back slow. You can do it in five days. A week would be better.

OP
OP
Rfolsom

Rfolsom

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 willys unlimited
Awesome, this is exactly what I wanted. Now I'll start mapping it out and try to convince the wife. :LOL:
One hard day up. A stop in Salina, KS would be a good jumping off point for an easy drive the next day.

Stayed in Wall, SD at a cool little vintage roadside motel that was very nice. Visit Wall Drug. A giant store that takes up most of 2 blocks. An odd combination of tourist trinkets and actual quality stuff.

Spent a couple days in the Black Hills doing all the tourist stuff. Visited my FILs grave at the Natl Cemetary in Sturgis, one of the nicest I’ve visited.

Next day was Belle Fourshe, SD, Wyoming and Devils Tower. Spent the night in In Hulett, WY at another vintage motel.

Next day drove south, stopped in Cheyenne and visited the Frontier Days museum and gift shop, then hauled ass to Las Vegas, NM and stayed at some forgettable place. The next day was Santa Fe, then Albuquerque, NM. Took the gondola tram up to the summit of Sandia Peak. Ate a nice meal up there.

If you have time, stop in between and drive up Pikes Peak. I did it on another trip out there. Also took the old railroad trail from Canon City, Co up to Victor and Cripple Creek, Phantom Canyon Rd. A fairly easy drive, even in a pickup or SUV.

The next day was Amarillo and Palo Duro Canyon, definitely worth seeing. After that we spent the night in Lubbock, then hauled ass home the next day.

So, get there fast and come back slow. You can do it in five days. A week would be better.