Audio quality and head unit options with aftermarket amp

Scott_S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
There have been a number of threads about various head unit upgrades, but apart from what fits, what's available, etc., it's hard to know which approach makes the most sense in terms of audio quality in combination with an aftermarket amp.

I've got a 2018 JLU Sport with the non-Alpine 5" Uconnect3. My plan is to upgrade the speakers, add a subwoofer, and install a 5 channel amp. I'm not sure what to do about the head unit, though. As I understand it, these are the options:

1) Stock 5" Uconnect3 + FiX-86 ($400) + resistor fix = $400
This won't give me nav or CarPlay, but will I be giving up anything in terms of audio quality vs. one of the other options?

2) Upgrade to 7" Uconnect4 ($400-700) + FiX-86 ($400) + resistor fix = $800-$1100
Will this improve the audio quality by much, or is this only worthwhile for the larger screen and CarPlay functionality? The downside is losing the main power/volume button. Also, from the other threads, it might be hard to find a dealer willing to sell this to me, and I may not be able to get firmware updates.

3) Seicane or other Chinese Android nav head unit ($400 or so)
For about the same price as the FiX-86 added to the stock head unit, this gives me nav and full android functionality, but from the reviews I've seen online, I'd be concerned that this might be a big step back from the stock head unit in terms of sound quality. In particular, some of the reviews say that the preamp output is too low to properly feed an aftermarket amp.

4) Insane Audio's upcoming (but not yet released) JL head unit ($1200 or so???)
Unlike the Seicane option, this Android solution will provide weather resistance and local tech/installation support, but is the audio quality really any better than that of the Chinese units? Is it better than the Uconnect3 or 4? I know the JL unit isn't released yet, but I imagine this will be pretty close to the JK2001 in terms of functionality/quality/etc. Is there any word on expected release date?
to
5) Alpine's upcoming (but not yet released) i209-WRA-JL ($2300 or so)
This one is the most expensive of the options by far, but I wonder whether it provides enough output configurability that would allow me to not need a DSP between the head unit and amp. If that were true, it would even up the costs a bit.

The main thing that's hard to compare here is that most of the reviews of sound quality of various head units focus on using the unit itself without an external amp. Does the head unit matter less when an external amp is used? If I don't care as much about nav/carplay/etc. would I be better of just sticking with the stock head unit+FiX-86, or would I still be better off with one of the other choices?

I'd still like to have carplay/nav/etc., but it's a lower priority for me. My phone mounted to the dash about the head unit will do most of that for me almost as well, as long as I've got a reliable bluetooth connection to the head unit, which even the Uconnect3 stock unit does.
Sponsored

JLsport2019

7" factory radio and Jl AUDIO fix-86 is first...

Then upgrade speakers & subwoofer
with DSP amps....
then let the Pro Audio Shops tune it for you...
One expert says, the BASS (LOWS) is not suppose to sound like it's coming from the back of the Jeep, if tuned properly the BASS (LOWS) should be coming from "everywhere".

Pretty amazing eh?

I've read all the posts here.