Audio cutting in and out

cmarchel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Rubi
Just wanted to give an update. B-Man, the software upgrade did not address the issue of the radio cutting in and out for me. In fact i lost my Off Road Pages and took the dealer and the FCA engineers two visits to get them back. But whatever they did, they are back.

I have had the new backup camera for a week now. The weather finally turned cold again, and the issues have not returned. It has been as cold as 27 here, swinging up to the mid 40s and back down again. The radio and the camera have worked as they should so far. If anything changes I will let you know.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The dealership did a Software update last Saturday that they said is supposed to address this and many other things. No recurrences yet But itā€™s still early. (Fingers crossed)
Hi Brett,
Please keep us updated. If additional assistance is needed, please feel free to PM us.
Alex
JeepCares

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
I have been having the audio cutting out issue the last 2 days in the MN cold (none last year though) and 2 weeks ago had a scary throttle control error and 15mph safe mode in single digit temps. Since my rear camera lens fell out in the cold (?!; is a JCR Shield carrier license plate bracket though), I have the new model camera and will be installing it here shortly - hopefully that fixes it!

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Unfortunately (but not a surprise) the software update didnā€™t work as the radio was cutting out and the back up lines disappeared today (10 days or so after the update). The good news is I called the dealership and they are going to replace the rear backup camera next Friday. Based on the experiences of folks posting in here, Iā€™m hopeful this will provide the permanent fix.

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
After a long struggle at the dealership and talking to Jeep, I got them to order a new backup camera. Of course, it is on backorder, so waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully have it installed before the below freezing temps start to kick in. Don't want to go through another winter with this nonsense.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
After a long struggle at the dealership and talking to Jeep, I got them to order a new backup camera. Of course, it is on backorder, so waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully have it installed before the below freezing temps start to kick in. Don't want to go through another winter with this nonsense.
We can help look into the part delay for you! Feel free to send us a private message with your VIN and the dealer you are working with.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
We can help look into the part delay for you! Feel free to send us a private message with your VIN and the dealer you are working with.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Thank you. Private messages started. I already have a STAR case open, just hoping you can help expedite the camera shipping to the dealer. Earlier this year when they decided to change out the entire radio system, because they couldn't figure out the problem, it took over 6 weeks to get the radio because it was "backordered". It wasn't installed until the spring when the issue is no longer there. So I'm getting the same news about the camera and hoping I'm not waiting till the spring when the problem is gone to finally get the camera replaced. Don't want to go another winter w/ a glitchy camera/ audio system. Thanks again.

GT-Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab JL
Occupation
CAD Designer
I was having the same problem with the audio cutting out also. Dealership performed a software update to hopefully fix it but it started happening again the next day. Because of this thread I asked my service advisor to look into the camera before replacing the radio. He did find reference to the camera issue and the dealership replaced it 3 weeks ago today and it has not happened since.

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
I installed my new camera (since the old one's lens fell out in my JCR Shield license plate bracket; no longer using that) and that FIXED the audio issue.

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I appreciate the updates and thatā€™s great to hear. My backup camera is being replaced today. Will share how itā€™s going later. The Recent software update didnā€™t fix the problem. My audio has been cutting out once every 10 days or so this winter so will look forward to seeing how it goes with the new camera during the coming weeks and hopefully months and beyond.

Sponsored

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
I appreciate the updates and thatā€™s great to hear. My backup camera is being replaced today. Will share how itā€™s going later. The Recent software update didnā€™t fix the problem. My audio has been cutting out once every 10 days or so this winter so will look forward to seeing how it goes with the new camera during the coming weeks and hopefully months and beyond.
B-Man, I've been experiencing the same issues with my audio, and similarly it occurs on a random basis. How difficult was it to get your dealer to replace the backup camera? The issue happens so randomly that it's difficult to get my Rubi to the dealer at a time when the problem is happening.

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
It was easy. I had to try the software update first, then 10 days later when it happened again, I called the service area and they said theyā€™d replace it. There appears to be a notice (or something like that) at FCA now that this is OK to try. I got the Jeep back today and the swap out cost was covered under the warranty.

As background, last winter and even Nov this year they would just tell me that they couldnā€™t recreate the cutting out issue and told me to wait for a software upgrade or some other fix from FCA (which was frustrating) but they loosened up the last couple of weeks. I also brought it in while it was happening one day just before Thanksgiving (I called ahead) and they actually let me come in and got a reading on it, for what thatā€™s worth.

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was easy. I had to try the software update first, then 10 days later when it happened again, I called the service area and they said theyā€™d replace it. There appears to be a notice (or something like that) at FCA now that this is OK to try. I got the Jeep back today and the swap out cost was covered under the warranty.

As background, last winter and even Nov this year they would just tell me that they couldnā€™t recreate the cutting out issue and told me to wait for a software upgrade or some other fix from FCA (which was frustrating) but they loosened up the last couple of weeks. I also brought it in while it was happening one day just before Thanksgiving (I called ahead) and they actually let me come in and got a reading on it, for what thatā€™s worth.
Good info, thanks.

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before I meet with my dealer again, has anyone else had their backup camera replaced? It seems like replacing the backup camera might be the first real solution to our issue.

The last time I brought my Rubi in to the shop my dealer admitted that they don't have a solution yet. Hopefully this is something I can request.

cmarchel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Rubi
Before I meet with my dealer again, has anyone else had their backup camera replaced? It seems like replacing the backup camera might be the first real solution to our issue.

The last time I brought my Rubi in to the shop my dealer admitted that they don't have a solution yet. Hopefully this is something I can request.
The backup camera replacement has not be defined as an official solution, so the dealer is kind of stating the truth. If you go through this forum and the other Audio cutting out forum, there have been a few of us that got the cameras replaced and had no problems after.
Sponsored