Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
So I literally came back from the dealership as they diagnosed the same thing we all are/have gone through, and concluded all the steps to test the rear camera was not the reason it’s cutting in and out on cold dates, but rather my Jeep needs a new $1,600 stereo (as you said). I started with JeepCares through this forum. Matt from Uconnect (has been great) knew all of what is being said on this thread, including providing the dealer with a star case, but the dealer still concluded it’s the stereo and not the camera. This will be my 4th trip for this issue. I may, in the end, just order the camera myself and replace it. I just need to verify the model number from the 2020 wrangler, which I know is different (obviously FCA knew the old camera didn’t work correctly thus the new model camera). The funny thing is that my radio did the cutting in and out while at the dealership, yet still went undiagnosed properly. Maybe it’s my negative attitude after all this, but part of me thinks the dealer wants us to go through this as they make money on the labor, as well as the profit on the parts. The radio is supposed to come in a week or two. I will report after the fact, but not expecting anything other than this issue to continue. If so, I will attempt one more time for them to replace the camera, if they continue to believe it’s something else, like a software reset, I’m going to swap out the camera myself. ...To be continued.
Arggg. Can't believe they are still making people go through all this. This is how its going to go down. They will order you a radio, it will probably then get backordered, by the time they replace it, the weather will be warmer and the problem would have gone away anyway, so they will conclude that changing the radio solved the problem. But then come next winter, your problem will be back and they will start the troubleshooting all over again. That's how it happened with me. At the end of last winter, when others had already had their radios and amps changed, still with no resolution, but then a few had their cameras replaced and no more problems, I told the dealership that they should change my camera instead of my radio. They still did what they wanted and changed my radio, but it took a month to arrive, by the time they installed it the temps were above freezing so I wasn't having the issue anyway. So they closed my STAR case probably saying that changing the radio solved the issue. This winter, when the problem started again, I called, and they acted like they had no idea. So I called Jeep Wave and opened up a new STAR case, but this time I told them my camera was faulty and the lines where cutting out. I told them I troubleshooted this all last winter and did not want to go through it all over again. So then I went to the dealer, without telling them I opened a STAR case already for the camera, and they were about to start me on all the troubleshooting again even though I did it all last year. I gave them the STAR case, they got on the phone w/ Jeep, and they ordered me a new camera. 2 weeks later, another backorder, I had it replaced. Problem GONE since!
The only problem is that the dealer did a sloppy job and in changing my camera they damaged by 3rd brake light line. So I had to manually repair it myself because I wasn't going back to them. I would have been better off buying the camera and installing it myself.
Sponsored

Pitbaby

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL — 2 Door
I have the 8.4" system and have been experience the same issue of the sounds cutting out when it's cold. I've taken it to the dealer twice and have another appointment next week, making it 3 times I've had to take it in for this problem. The issue of course does not occur for the dealer, since the issue persists randomly. Two different dealers have said the same thing both times — they "updated the software and can't find anything wrong" and sent me on my way but the issue continues. I'm starting to lose my mind with this problem and gave Jeep Uconnect customer care a call today to report the issue...of course the dealer needs to "diagnose the issue" for there to be any action. So it seems like I'm in an endless loop of this thing never being fixed...

I'm starting to document this with video and plan to chronicle each visit to the dealer to build my case. $45K for a Jeep that doesn't have a functioning sound system is beyond my comprehension.

Video of the link malfunction here:
Update: The dealer replaced the rear camera. Hoping to god this fixes the issue. It was down to 12° in Ohio last night and it was skip free.

OHIIIIIIIO

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara
Update: The dealer replaced the rear camera. Hoping to god this fixes the issue. It was down to 12° in Ohio last night and it was skip free.
Yeah, 14 degrees with the sun in Cleveland and mine did it this morning. Just got a call my 8.4 Uconnect is still not in. Just like Bri01 said, may be delayed until warm weather, only for the problem to come back next winter. Can you update us as the weeks progress to let us know if it works? Still toying with the idea of buying the camera for $90 and changing it myself. Good luck.

Pitbaby

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL — 2 Door
Yeah, 14 degrees with the sun in Cleveland and mine did it this morning. Just got a call my 8.4 Uconnect is still not in. Just like Bri01 said, may be delayed until warm weather, only for the problem to come back next winter. Can you update us as the weeks progress to let us know if it works? Still toying with the idea of buying the camera for $90 and changing it myself. Good luck.
I’ll definitely continue updating. We’re on this ride together.

kevinsmith812

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I’ve not read through this entire thread but I’ve owned my 2018 Wrangler for 3 months and this is driving me crazy. Early cold morning and audio cuts in and out with no backup lines. I have not gone to a dealer yet, because like everyone else it only happens randomly.

2018 JLUR with 8.4” Screen

Sponsored

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve not read through this entire thread but I’ve owned my 2018 Wrangler for 3 months and this is driving me crazy. Early cold morning and audio cuts in and out with no backup lines. I have not gone to a dealer yet, because like everyone else it only happens randomly.

Apparently on the other "audio system issue - cutting in and out" thread, the last person that had their camera replaced to fix this issue noted that the service department mentioned there is a service bulletin on this issue now. If that's the case, all you need to do is call your dealership and tell them you are having the camera issue when it is cold out and they should know to switch out your camera.

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Better check out the other thread on this subject.... it seems like there may be a service bulletin on the camera now. Everyone with this issue that had their cameras switched out has not had an issue since. Replacing the radio won't fix it, as many of us have already gone through. They are wasting your time. May want to inquire if there really is a service bulletin on the backup camera, because if so, they really need to replace yours for the problem to go away.

TFraley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler unlimited
The problem has to do with the Canbus wiring to the radio. I tried everything that everyone else has tried to fix the problem. I finally cut the two Canbus wires controlling the radio. That eliminated my problem. I installed an aftermarket radio prior to doing this and it cut in and out just like the factory radio since I have eliminated the Canbus wiring to the radio no more cutting out . Canbus wiring has got a short somewhere.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hi Kevin,
Thank you for reaching out with your concerns here, we understand the frustration you may have with this! Please send our team a private message with your VIN so that we may assist you at this point.

Kathryn
JeepCares

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
The dealership changed out my rear camera on Jan 3 and no problems since (knock on wood). The audio had been cutting out once every 7-10 days before then. As a nice bonus the new camera has a wider angle lens than the original one I had. I considered just paying the money to switch it out previously as the aggravation was killing me.

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Yes I hear you. I spent over 40 K for new wheels and it feels like the automotive industry just invented a car radio. I've got the little 5 inch and it's a crap.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you experiencing this, and those doubting temperature has anything to do with it I will tell you my story.

My Jeep has been fine, but before the Jeep, I had a Ford Edge with the 7" Sync3 touchscreen. I live in South Florida, so it seldom gets very cold here, but I noticed if the outside temperature fell below 50, that the radio would do odd things.

First, it the backup camera would be less than 50/50 as far as if it worked.
The radio sometime would be frozen up, screen on, no sound. Or the screen would just stay black.
A couple of times, I'd have sound, and a black screen and no buttons anywhere would turn it up.down, change channels etc.

When I bought the Jeep, I promised the wife I would sell the Mustang or the Harley, a decided to sell the Mustang. So now the my Jeep stays in the garage at night, so I have not experienced any of this as the garage keeps my Jeep above 50 on cold nights.

I wonder if it's not something with the touch screen and the cold? In my case once the Edge had warmed up, I could shut it off and restart the car and the radio would work, where as an immediate reboot while the interior was still cold would not work.

Boutch76

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL 2D Manual
I had my 2018 sport JL since October 2018 and the radio still cuts off randomly. It's been brought up several times with the dealership. I am wondering if it will ever work normaly.

pnwadventures

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I have an '18 JLU Sport with the stock radio. I live in WA so it doesn't really get cold. Mine will suddenly pop and powers off for a few seconds. Then when the power comes on, the clock is reset to 12:00, just like an old VCR.

There is no rhyme or reason when it happens. It may go days without doing this, other days it may happen 6 or more times in a day. I usually always have my iPhone plugged in listening to. music or podcasts.

I have yet to take it into the dealer.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had my 2018 sport JL since October 2018 and the radio still cuts off randomly. It's been brought up several times with the dealership. I am wondering if it will ever work normaly.
@Boutch76,
We certainly would like to see you reach a final resolution for this concern! If you would like our assistance during any future dealer visits, please send us a PM with more details. We would be happy to add our additional support to your service.

Kathryn
JeepCares

I have an '18 JLU Sport with the stock radio. I live in WA so it doesn't really get cold. Mine will suddenly pop and powers off for a few seconds. Then when the power comes on, the clock is reset to 12:00, just like an old VCR.

There is no rhyme or reason when it happens. It may go days without doing this, other days it may happen 6 or more times in a day. I usually always have my iPhone plugged in listening to. music or podcasts.

I have yet to take it into the dealer.
@pnwadventures,
We regret hearing that you are experiencing trouble with your radio. If you do decide to bring this to the attention of your dealer, please loop us into a PM with your VIN. We would be happy to add our assistance to your vehicle service.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Sponsored