Audio cutting in and out

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
The backup camera replacement has not be defined as an official solution, so the dealer is kind of stating the truth. If you go through this forum and the other Audio cutting out forum, there have been a few of us that got the cameras replaced and had no problems after.
Yeah, that's what I thought. When I have some time I'm going to bring it in and see what they are willing to do.

Thanks
Sponsored

OHIIIIIIIO

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara
Sorry for what I’m sure has been mentioned already, but does anyone know what the part number of the new camera that seems to fix this audio issue? I want to make sure I don’t receive the same part/model camera when attempting to fix this.

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, maybe this is just a crazy coincidence but hear me out. Since the audio issues appear to be related to the backup camera, I tried a bit of an experiment to see if I could avoid the issue. When I start my Jeep, I do not shift it into reverse until the UConnect system is fully booted up and operating. So far I haven't seen the audio issue recur, but clearly my experience isn't scientific as the audio issue pops up on an irregular and unexpected basis.

If anyone else is experiencing the same issue, feel free to try this and let me know your experience. Obviously this isn't a "fix", but it might be a temporary way to avoid the issue.

cmarchel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Rubi
OK, maybe this is just a crazy coincidence but hear me out. Since the audio issues appear to be related to the backup camera, I tried a bit of an experiment to see if I could avoid the issue. When I start my Jeep, I do not shift it into reverse until the UConnect system is fully booted up and operating. So far I haven't seen the audio issue recur, but clearly my experience isn't scientific as the audio issue pops up on an irregular and unexpected basis.

If anyone else is experiencing the same issue, feel free to try this and let me know your experience. Obviously this isn't a "fix", but it might be a temporary way to avoid the issue.
When I first bought my vehicle, i was sitting in the parking lot, never moved and it happened, repeatedly. So from my experience, waiting to drive did not make a difference.

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I first bought my vehicle, i was sitting in the parking lot, never moved and it happened, repeatedly. So from my experience, waiting to drive did not make a difference.
Eh, sorry to hear that Chris.

Sponsored

OHIIIIIIIO

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara
Sorry for what I’m sure has been mentioned already, but does anyone know what the part number of the new camera that seems to fix this audio issue? I want to make sure I don’t receive the same part/model camera when attempting to fix this.
@JeepCares
I went to the dealership and they said they could not reproduce the event (it was 45 degrees) and was told to wait for an announcement from Jeep. I was told to wait a few months. I told them about the thread from many owners claiming it may be the camera, but was told unless it comes from Jeep, or they can replicate the issue, they cannot do anything. My dealership has been awesome to fix all the other issues thus far, but This one is the most annoying. Anyone just replace the camera with the new one?

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Well, my own experiment (waiting for a full Connect boot up before I put the Jeep into reverse) failed this morning. It's clearly not a fix. This morning, after waiting for the UConnect boot up, I was greeted by my audio cutting in and out. This continued for most of the day even after making various stops. As I was completing my last stop this afternoon, I planned to drive the Jeep over to my dealer to show them the issue, but it disappeared. Go figure.

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
Well, my own experiment (waiting for a full Connect boot up before I put the Jeep into reverse) failed this morning. It's clearly not a fix. This morning, after waiting for the UConnect boot up, I was greeted by my audio cutting in and out. This continued for most of the day even after making various stops. As I was completing my last stop this afternoon, I planned to drive the Jeep over to my dealer to show them the issue, but it disappeared. Go figure.
Just tell the dealer the camera is faulty, acts up when it is cold out, needs to be replaced. Even though the worst symptom of the problem is the audio cutting in and out, it is the lesser symptom, the backup camera lines disappearing, that is causing the radio system to act up. All newer models of Jeeps (and Rams) with the Uconnect system already have the newer version of the camera installed from factory so they will not experience the problem, only us with earlier model JL's will be dealing with this.
As many of you know, I've been on these "audio cutting in and out" forums, both of them, since last winter. My problem is finally fixed by having the camera replaced. It is the only known solution documented in these forums. Unfortunately it does not seem to be a known documented solution to Jeep, but all of us here that have dealt with this issue and finally had it rectified, know it is the camera.

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares
I went to the dealership and they said they could not reproduce the event (it was 45 degrees) and was told to wait for an announcement from Jeep. I was told to wait a few months. I told them about the thread from many owners claiming it may be the camera, but was told unless it comes from Jeep, or they can replicate the issue, they cannot do anything. My dealership has been awesome to fix all the other issues thus far, but This one is the most annoying. Anyone just replace the camera with the new one?
My recommendation is that you PM one of the Jeep Cares reps here on the forum so they can set you up w/ an FCA representative to start a STAR case on the camera, and then go to your dealership with that STAR case. If done correctly, and with help from the right Jeep reps, who read these forums, they should order you a camera and get it replaced under warranty.
I had this problem all last winter, went through all the steps... tried all the little tricks, software update, and they even replaced my entire radio (which is a $2k job)… and problem is still there this winter. So before I went back to the dealership this winter when the problem returned, because I knew they would have to go through all the troubleshooting steps again, I called Jeep Wave, started a STAR case, and then went to the dealer. They were about to send me home to tell me to come back when the problem is occurring because they couldn't reproduce it, until I referenced the STAR case, they got on the phone w/ Jeep, and then they authorized to order me a new camera. After weeks of waiting to get this "backordered" camera, I finally had it installed. If I didn't have that STAR case open I don't think I would have the new camera in my Jeep today.

OHIIIIIIIO

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara
My recommendation is that you PM one of the Jeep Cares reps here on the forum so they can set you up w/ an FCA representative to start a STAR case on the camera, and then go to your dealership with that STAR case. If done correctly, and with help from the right Jeep reps, who read these forums, they should order you a camera and get it replaced under warranty.
I had this problem all last winter, went through all the steps... tried all the little tricks, software update, and they even replaced my entire radio (which is a $2k job)… and problem is still there this winter. So before I went back to the dealership this winter when the problem returned, because I knew they would have to go through all the troubleshooting steps again, I called Jeep Wave, started a STAR case, and then went to the dealer. They were about to send me home to tell me to come back when the problem is occurring because they couldn't reproduce it, until I referenced the STAR case, they got on the phone w/ Jeep, and then they authorized to order me a new camera. After weeks of waiting to get this "backordered" camera, I finally had it installed. If I didn't have that STAR case open I don't think I would have the new camera in my Jeep today.
Wow! Thanks for going through the battlefield for those of us going through the issues now. Your details and remedies are an enormous help. My case has been received and escalated so hoping to do what you’ve experienced with the fix. Thanks again!

Sponsored

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So far so good, brisk mornings and no audio cutting in and out. Looks like replacing the camera is the solution.

I wanted to share a story though of what I found out today that the dealership did to my Jeep when they replaced the backup camera. This story is why I do my own oil changes and try to avoid the dealership like a plague. So I had my camera replaced on Thursday, warranty job... took over 2 hours there waiting ( I don't think it takes more then 1 hour for that job). Camera works great, not having the audio issues, so I left happy. I come to find out today that my 3rd brake light is NOT WORKING! I have a Mopar oversize carrier system attached w/ the 3rd light relocation bracket. As many of you know, the 3rd brake light wire is bundled w/ the camera wire and then splits up behind the tire. Well they apparently removed my tire carrier to replace the camera and then in placing it back, not only did they lose a screw (because they replaced it w/ a stainless steel one when the others are black), but they crunched the 3rd brake light cable behind the tire carrier when they put it back on and cut the cable in the process leaving me without a functioning 3rd brake light. I'm including a pic of the squished wire.
So I had to remove the tire and carrier, get the wire out, cut out the broken part and wire it back together. I was so mad. Such a sloppy job they did! I'll definitely be calling come Monday to complain, but unfortunately that won't get me anywhere.
So for any of you getting your cameras replaced... and anyone coming to this forum with the audio issue should be doing... make sure you double check the wiring job the dealership did.

IMG_3427.jpg

Last edited:

Pitbaby

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL — 2 Door
I have the 8.4" system and have been experience the same issue of the sounds cutting out when it's cold. I've taken it to the dealer twice and have another appointment next week, making it 3 times I've had to take it in for this problem. The issue of course does not occur for the dealer, since the issue persists randomly. Two different dealers have said the same thing both times — they "updated the software and can't find anything wrong" and sent me on my way but the issue continues. I'm starting to lose my mind with this problem and gave Jeep Uconnect customer care a call today to report the issue...of course the dealer needs to "diagnose the issue" for there to be any action. So it seems like I'm in an endless loop of this thing never being fixed...

I'm starting to document this with video and plan to chronicle each visit to the dealer to build my case. $45K for a Jeep that doesn't have a functioning sound system is beyond my comprehension.

Video of the link malfunction here:

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the 8.4" system and have been experience the same issue of the sounds cutting out when it's cold. I've taken it to the dealer twice and have another appointment next week, making it 3 times I've had to take it in for this problem. The issue of course does not occur for the dealer, since the issue persists randomly. Two different dealers have said the same thing both times — they "updated the software and can't find anything wrong" and sent me on my way but the issue continues. I'm starting to lose my mind with this problem and gave Jeep Uconnect customer care a call today to report the issue...of course the dealer needs to "diagnose the issue" for there to be any action. So it seems like I'm in an endless loop of this thing never being fixed...

I'm starting to document this with video and plan to chronicle each visit to the dealer to build my case. $45K for a Jeep that doesn't have a functioning sound system is beyond my comprehension.

My radio malfunction sounds EXACTLY like yours, same issue.

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

It's very annoying and frustrating. All of us on this forum from the beginning and starting last winter have been through all the steps you have. You need to contact a Jeep rep/ Jeep Wave, start a STAR case, reference this forum if needed. Let them know it is a backup camera issue. They will then work with your dealer to order you a new camera and have it installed under warranty. Even though the audio cutting in and out is the most annoying issue, its actually the rear camera acting up (camera lines disappearing) causing the infotainment system to go haywire. Replace the camera and the problem will be fixed. I dealt with this issue for 2 winters, finally had the camera changed last week after all the other fixes attempted through the dealership, including replacing entire radio system. Replacing the camera is the only known solution. Good luck!

OHIIIIIIIO

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara
It's very annoying and frustrating. All of us on this forum from the beginning and starting last winter have been through all the steps you have. You need to contact a Jeep rep/ Jeep Wave, start a STAR case, reference this forum if needed. Let them know it is a backup camera issue. They will then work with your dealer to order you a new camera and have it installed under warranty. Even though the audio cutting in and out is the most annoying issue, its actually the rear camera acting up (camera lines disappearing) causing the infotainment system to go haywire. Replace the camera and the problem will be fixed. I dealt with this issue for 2 winters, finally had the camera changed last week after all the other fixes attempted through the dealership, including replacing entire radio system. Replacing the camera is the only known solution. Good luck!
So I literally came back from the dealership as they diagnosed the same thing we all are/have gone through, and concluded all the steps to test the rear camera was not the reason it’s cutting in and out on cold dates, but rather my Jeep needs a new $1,600 stereo (as you said). I started with JeepCares through this forum. Matt from Uconnect (has been great) knew all of what is being said on this thread, including providing the dealer with a star case, but the dealer still concluded it’s the stereo and not the camera. This will be my 4th trip for this issue. I may, in the end, just order the camera myself and replace it. I just need to verify the model number from the 2020 wrangler, which I know is different (obviously FCA knew the old camera didn’t work correctly thus the new model camera). The funny thing is that my radio did the cutting in and out while at the dealership, yet still went undiagnosed properly. Maybe it’s my negative attitude after all this, but part of me thinks the dealer wants us to go through this as they make money on the labor, as well as the profit on the parts. The radio is supposed to come in a week or two. I will report after the fact, but not expecting anything other than this issue to continue. If so, I will attempt one more time for them to replace the camera, if they continue to believe it’s something else, like a software reset, I’m going to swap out the camera myself. ...To be continued.
Sponsored