jstepy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X 4xe
Okay everyone -

So far so good after removing (unpairing) all phones and pulling Fuse 97 the radio is working fine again.

I did a remote start while 5 degrees outside and it works perfectly fine... I am not going to pair any phones or even CarPlay any phones like before and see how long I can go with a working stereo.

Like I had mentioned earlier my stereo was working great for about three weeks until I decided to pair my iPhone XS and then it crapped out again.

I am going to go for 4 weeks this time and then I will once again pair my phone and see what happens... right now I will live with talking and texting out of my watch.
Sponsored

RIC3BOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Okay everyone -

So far so good after removing (unpairing) all phones and pulling Fuse 97 the radio is working fine again.

I did a remote start while 5 degrees outside and it works perfectly fine... I am not going to pair any phones or even CarPlay any phones like before and see how long I can go with a working stereo.

Like I had mentioned earlier my stereo was working great for about three weeks until I decided to pair my iPhone XS and then it crapped out again.

I am going to go for 4 weeks this time and then I will once again pair my phone and see what happens... right now I will live with talking and texting out of my watch.
Thanks for the advice. I'll give this a shot in my RAM to see if it alleviates the same issue. I did try removing all paired phones before (Bluetooth and Device Mirroring), albeit not pulling the radio fuse and/or removing the negative terminal on the battery at the same time. Let's see where this goes.

Everyone - I urge anyone else with this problem to try this solution so we can have a larger test group. If you're tired of this BS, complaining on this forum (and apparently FCA) won't do anything. Try to troubleshoot and narrow down the cause of the issue, at least you have something to show your service centre to go on and investigate.

Last edited:

RIC3BOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Okay everyone -

@jstepy forgot to ask:

1. When you performed the fuse reset did you change anything in uConnect? Specifically audio/equalizer settings?

2. When you unpaired phones, did you also disable CarPlay (disable Device Mirroring)?

3. Do you have anything connected via USB, such as a flash drive for music?

Thanks!

jstepy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X 4xe
@jstepy forgot to ask:

1. When you performed the fuse reset did you change anything in uConnect? Specifically audio/equalizer settings?

2. When you unpaired phones, did you also disable CarPlay (disable Device Mirroring)?

3. Do you have anything connected via USB, such as a flash drive for music?

Thanks!
Hey Ric,

So when I experienced the issue right after pairing my iPhone I just removed it and made sure nothing was under Car Play/Device Mirroring.

I then just pulled Fuse 97 (never touched battery terminals) and all good. Been two days with multiple start and stops, remote starts etc. with quite cold weather and still working well.

I do not have any flash drives connected and make sure not to have any kids plug their iPhones in right now.

If I go three-four weeks with no problems I’m thinking of just trying out car play hard connection for a while to see if the issue appears. If that lasts for a while then I will pair via Bluetooth... and if the issue occurs then I’m thinking it’s gotta be the Bluetooth module or software issue on either Uconnect or iPhone, right?

Kind of curious of what phone and software the people use that are having this issue?

Did most people start having the issue around the release of iOS 12 in September? Or when the XS and XR’s came out?

Weird thing is I know people with your Ram and large 12” Uconnect and other Wrangler JL Owners that do not have this issue but all have iPhone 8’s or older...

jstepy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X 4xe
@RIC3BOY - So I just looked back at the two threads in this forum and the first post occurred right around October... new iPhones and iOS 12 came out at the end of September... with a few minor updates in the weeks to follow... am I crazy to try to correlate something?

Maybe people thought it was the weather when in fact it was phone software or hardware?

I know it's a stretch but I totally agree with you that I don't think it's weather, amplifier or head unit related... too many people have had both replaced with the problem occurring again.

My biggest fear is FCA then points the finger at Apple and we get nowhere...

Anyway that's it for my Conspiracy Theories today...

Sponsored

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
After two weeks without my audio cutting in and out, the same issue came back this morning while driving my JL. I was really hopeful the issue had disappeared, so I was steaming the entire ride. Then something weird happened. I pulled into a parking spot, turned off my car, and radio stayed on (as expected) but the cutting in and out instantly disappeared. I sat stunned in my seat for a minute listening to my clear, crisp and uninterrupted radio, and yes, the issue disappeared the moment the engine turned off. When I opened the door, the radio turned off as expected and I went about my business. An hour later when I returned the audio in/out problem did not happen when I later drove my car.

Has anyone noticed if the audio in/out problem disappeared once the engine turned off?

moonpup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I noticed that since upgrading my iPhone to 12.1.2, that remote start from the UConnect app no longer works. It just spins and spins but never sends the request. In talking to UConnect support, they said 12.1.2 broke it and need to wait for an updated UConnect app to hit the store. On the bright side, at least it works through the website... :clap:

jstepy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X 4xe
After two weeks without my audio cutting in and out, the same issue came back this morning while driving my JL. I was really hopeful the issue had disappeared, so I was steaming the entire ride. Then something weird happened. I pulled into a parking spot, turned off my car, and radio stayed on (as expected) but the cutting in and out instantly disappeared. I sat stunned in my seat for a minute listening to my clear, crisp and uninterrupted radio, and yes, the issue disappeared the moment the engine turned off. When I opened the door, the radio turned off as expected and I went about my business. An hour later when I returned the audio in/out problem did not happen when I later drove my car.

Has anyone noticed if the audio in/out problem disappeared once the engine turned off?
Hello Ike,

Whenever the problem occurs for me there is nothing I can do save it pulling Fuse 97 to get me back to normal. No matter how many offs and ons with the engine, unpairing or repairing the phone etc.

Out of curiosity what phone and software are you using?

RIC3BOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
@RIC3BOY - So I just looked back at the two threads in this forum and the first post occurred right around October... new iPhones and iOS 12 came out at the end of September... with a few minor updates in the weeks to follow... am I crazy to try to correlate something?

Maybe people thought it was the weather when in fact it was phone software or hardware?

I know it's a stretch but I totally agree with you that I don't think it's weather, amplifier or head unit related... too many people have had both replaced with the problem occurring again.

My biggest fear is FCA then points the finger at Apple and we get nowhere...

Anyway that's it for my Conspiracy Theories today...
I’ve done a ton of troubleshooting, and so far your theory has proven to work the longest without issue. My issue re-appeared, but I only pulled the battery for 2 minutes. I tried again today but at over an hour without battery. If it happens again, I’ll try with the radio fuse. I figure pulling the battery would supersede the fuses?

I’m starting to think it’s not uConnect software or hardware related at all. There are RAM owners with the 12” screen (I have the 8.4”) that have the same issue. Different hardware (radio and amplifier) and different software altogether, but same issue. The only correlation is connected phones.

And yes, seems like everyone with this issue is on iPhone, and yes I updated mine to iOS 12, right around when the issue started happening. I work in IT for a living, so your theory isn’t crazy, I’ve seen weirder things happen!

I’ll make sure to update. My issue has been happening nearly everyday, so it’s frustrating. Everyone complaining here about spending $50k on a Jeep has me a bit frustrated, I paid $70k - (Canadian) for my RAM lol

cbournis

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Has nothing to do with just iPhone... I have a Android Google Pixel 3 and i have the same problem.

Currently waiting for my replacement amplifier to come in... Will let you know if it fixes the issues.

Sponsored

jstepy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X 4xe
Has nothing to do with just iPhone... I have a Android Google Pixel 3 and i have the same problem.

Currently waiting for my replacement amplifier to come in... Will let you know if it fixes the issues.
Okay I was curious about that Cbournis... thank you for chiming in.

I truly hope your new amp fixes the issue but I’ve read that for some after replacement they still had the issue.

The issue has only occurred while my iPhone was paired... And since no one with a Uconnect or Amplifier replacement has had success I’m still on the side of software issue.

But again completely ridiculous issue for the amount of money we have paid for these vehicles (Jeep/Ram) and silence from FCA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have the 8.4 and so far noticed on SAT. Will need to note the temp when it happens again.

OP
OP
eugene

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Okay everyone -

I unpaired everything, pulled fuse 97, turned Bluetooth off on my iPhone, and (drumroll please) the issue came back. I should also note there was not remote starting involved as my jeep parked in my garage for the most part of this 36 hr expiriement.

My dealer has a new uconnect to replace (I waited a month and heard no word till I called them to ask why I hadn’t heard from them for a month). because this is my thread I and I’m upset and passionate about solving this issue I will go ahead and set up an appointment for next week and gunneia pig the “new radio” fix.....

RIC3BOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
I unpaired everything, pulled fuse 97, turned Bluetooth off on my iPhone, and (drumroll please) the issue came back. I should also note there was not remote starting involved as my jeep parked in my garage for the most part of this 36 hr expiriement.

My dealer has a new uconnect to replace (I waited a month and heard no word till I called them to ask why I hadn’t heard from them for a month). because this is my thread I and I’m upset and passionate about solving this issue I will go ahead and set up an appointment for next week and gunneia pig the “new radio” fix.....
Thanks for helping with this test. I'm still waiting for my issue to come back (just over 24 hours now).

One thing I wanted to try was replacing the actual fuses. I know one member stated their issues went away after re-seating their fuses because some were loose. I didn't hear an update from them, but its worth a try while I'm waiting for a new amp.

Just curious - does the JL Wrangler have ANC (Active Noise Cancelling)? If so, is it built-in with your amp?

The 2019+ RAMs have ANC built-in with the amps, sharing the same fuse. Wondering if that could be the cause? I know there were a few TSBs for RAMs related to ANC and AMPs (flash updates).

RIC3BOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Update:

So that didn’t work. The issue came back again today. It’s not Bluetooth/iOS.

While in the internal fuse box, I pulled F44 which controls the radio/ANC/inverter (for the RAMs). That reset the radio, giving the same symptoms as resetting the battery.

What I did notice - a majority of the fuses were incorrectly seated. I pushed nearly all of them in, feeling the “click” and positive engagement. We’ll see how this works out.
Sponsored