Sponsored

Audio Build - My neighbors are gonna hate me

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What audio did your Jeep come with? I have the premium audio with the subwoofer and this is the first of many vehicles I've owned that I'm totally happy with. Even the sub seems to hit hard enough for most occasions
Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Use the X3 in the jeep and the M7 on the home audio.
Funny you say that, it does have a little more of an old-school look and feel, which might match the Jeep better than the sleek touch screen of the X5...

f0999bc6971863678c14f3a50beb5985_w560.jpg

VS

3587776.jpg

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
What audio did your Jeep come with? I have the premium audio with the subwoofer and this is the first of many vehicles I've owned that I'm totally happy with. Even the sub seems to hit hard enough for most occasions
The base system... I always do these types of upgrades in my vehicles, though. I'm a bit of a car-audio-holic! ;)

I did a pretty serious build in my 2016 JK, too.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The base system... I always do these types of upgrades in my vehicles, though. I'm a bit of a car-audio-holic! ;)

I did a pretty serious build in my 2016 JK, too.
I've done my fair share of "unnecessary" mods...

What are you going to do for a battery considering the level of firepower your installing?

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
I've done my fair share of "unnecessary" mods...

What are you going to do for a battery considering the level of firepower your installing?
To start with, I am just installing a single Odyssey battery, but I will probably add a second battery. I think the stock alternator is going to be sufficient, but if I find any weakness there, I'll upgrade that, too. Keep in mind, the available wattage is a little over 3,000 rms, but the system would never really be pushing anywhere near that. Average loud listening is gonna be more in the few hundred watt range... The rest is just a ton of headroom. ;)

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Lol. I've had some amazing car audio systems, but $10k? A car is a terrible sound stage. You are going way past the point of diminishing returns. I'd sure be worried about those amps overheating under the rear cover as well.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Lol. I've had some amazing car audio systems, but $10k? A car is a terrible sound stage. You are going way past the point of diminishing returns. I'd sure be worried about those amps overheating under the rear cover as well.
I love the challenge of making an incredible sound stage in a really difficult environment, like a car. Not just any car, a Wrangler, which is among THE worst vehicles for audio. I have a number of really good car audio builds under my belt, it's kinda my thing. ;)

The amps are class D, the 6 channel has it's own fan (which I will be removing and upgrading) and the mono block will only be wired to 2 ohm. Also, the amps will not be covered, as the subwoofer enclosure will be built over the amps...

My car audio builds have nothing to do with making a good investment and every thing to do with the love of the hobby - custom fabrication, ultra clean installation, DSP tuning and testing new gear and techniques...

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
To start with, I am just installing a single Odyssey battery, but I will probably add a second battery. I think the stock alternator is going to be sufficient, but if I find any weakness there, I'll upgrade that, too. Keep in mind, the available wattage is a little over 3,000 rms, but the system would never really be pushing anywhere near that. Average loud listening is gonna be more in the few hundred watt range... The rest is just a ton of headroom. ;)
I gotcha. I do marine audio systems on high-end bay boats where owners like to run cranked all the way up for extended periods and it's tough to sustain performance. Our outboards have 50amp charging systems but trying to control voltage drop under heavy bass hits is a challenge. Add to it the multiple small motors and pumps on these boats throw a ton of EM noise into the air.

I've been doing it for years but it seems I've always got something to learn

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
I gotcha. I do marine audio systems on high-end bay boats where owners like to run cranked all the way up for extended periods and it's tough to sustain performance. Our outboards have 50amp charging systems but trying to control voltage drop under heavy bass hits is a challenge. Add to it the multiple small motors and pumps on these boats throw a ton of EM noise into the air.

I've been doing it for years but it seems I've always got something to learn
That's pretty cool stuff you do... I don't know a thing about boats, or marine audio. The high end car audio environment, when done properly, is highly technical and scientific. When it's done really well it's like a concert stage on the dash and you will hear this with absolute realism:

- Vocals centered in the middle of the dash, almost phantom like (this is eerie when heard for the first time)
- Drums also centered on the dash, but behind the the singer (a 3d-ish effect)
- Guitars and other instruments placed across the dash, with total separation between them as if they are standing on your dash and playing live
- Bass is on the dash, and not at all coming from the trunk (where the subs usually are)

What you will not hear is a localized sound coming from the speakers themselves, the speakers and their locations sorta fade into the stage, and you should not be able to pinpoint where they are with your eyes closed.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I love the challenge of making an incredible sound stage in a really difficult environment, like a car. Not just any car, a Wrangler, which is among THE worst vehicles for audio. I have a number of really good car audio builds under my belt, it's kinda my thing. ;)

The amps are class D, the 6 channel has it's own fan (which I will be removing and upgrading) and the mono block will only be wired to 2 ohm. Also, the amps will not be covered, as the subwoofer enclosure will be built over the amps...

My car audio builds have nothing to do with making a good investment and every thing to do with the love of the hobby - custom fabrication, ultra clean installation, DSP tuning and testing new gear and techniques...
That's totally cool. You should definitely keep doing you. I just think once you get past 3 or 4k in a car you're not really going to get much gain sonically. I had 4 8s and about 4000 Watts in my 99 TJ so I understand the sickness.

Sponsored

toneloc2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler sahara jl
Vehicle Showcase
Hey David, thanks for starting your build log here. i was thinking of posting mine on here as well but never did, i didn't think there would be any audio guys on here. keep going my friend..

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Hey David, thanks for starting your build log here. i was thinking of posting mine on here as well but never did, i didn't think there would be any audio guys on here. keep going my friend..
Hey Tony! Good to see you on here, my friend!

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Flash back to the past. Last car I built for sound was in high school. Camaro with ten 18s, 20K watts, fiberglass box, 156 db without sealing the cabin. Good times.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Here are a couple highlights from my 2016 JK Build, if anyone is interested:

d-R-Jeep-JK-Audio.jpg

1Pods.jpg

IMG-20161104-184451213.jpg

Bent the acrylic to contour to the dash:

IMG-20161106-133755271.jpg

IMG-20170111-100341996.jpg

3Pods.jpg

IMG-20151211-134007561-TOP.jpg

Bass-Amp-2.jpg

IMG-20160108-172927075.jpg

IMG-20151219-101417206.jpg

1-Sound-Deadening.jpg

2-Sound-Deadening.jpg

3-Sound-Deadening.jpg

4-Sound-Deadening.jpg

Behind the glove box:

Mosconi-Pico2-behind-glove-box-powers-Hertz-Mil.jpg

This was rear fill in the sound bar, Hertz Mille 3.5" powered by the Mosconi Pico amp (above):

IMG-20160302-165523090.jpg

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Got a little bit done... Sound deadening in and around the tub and carpet over the top. There will be a beauty panel to cover where the jack is.

IMG-20200114-104813315.jpg

I used spray adhesive on the carpet

IMG-20200114-115341975.jpg
Sponsored