Audio Build - My neighbors are gonna hate me

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392. Was '20 Rubicon, '17 Rubicon
Well, it makes the speaker think the box is about 20% bigger than it is... While I was tuning the system with a very accomplished tuner, he was actually surprised at the output of the midbass considering how small the pods are, and their frequency response was better than expected too.

The output and sound quality I am getting from this system right now, is nothing short of awesome, imho.
recommendations on where to source these out? I just ordered pods and was thinking of poly fill, and sound deadening. I am going with focal flax evo’s.

trying the aperiodic vent for a little more mid bass seems like a great thing to try.
Any other tricks with those front pods or sound bar?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
recommendations on where to source these out? I just ordered pods and was thinking of poly fill, and sound deadening. I am going with focal flax evo’s.

trying the aperiodic vent for a little more mid bass seems like a great thing to try.
Any other tricks with those front pods or sound bar?
This is the only place I know of:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/flares/ports/vents/scanspeak-290001-aperiodic-vent-ssv/

The only thing to be aware of is how tight the passenger side is... Check and double check that you'll have room for the cone to move without anything touching the grille.

I didn't use any polyfill as I wanted the air to move as much as the vent would allow without any obstruction. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying it's what I did! Lol

I never touched my sound bar. Those speakers are still connected to the factory h/u which is used for BT calls.

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
This is the only place I know of:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/flares/ports/vents/scanspeak-290001-aperiodic-vent-ssv/

The only thing to be aware of is how tight the passenger side is... Check and double check that you'll have room for the cone to move without anything touching the grille.

I didn't use any polyfill as I wanted the air to move as much as the vent would allow without any obstruction. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying it's what I did! Lol

I never touched my sound bar. Those speakers are still connected to the factory h/u which is used for BT calls.
Are you able to adjust the resistance of the vents? I was debating on adding some to my pods. Thanks for the feedback. I’ve seen some people drill some holes in the back of the pod but I’d prefer something adjustable.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Are you able to adjust the resistance of the vents? I was debating on adding some to my pods. Thanks for the feedback. I’ve seen some people drill some holes in the back of the pod but I’d prefer something adjustable.
You could adjust them by filling some of the openings, but I wouldn't... In my JK, I simply drilled holes in the pods and got better results than with them sealed. However, the output and response with these vented pods in the JL, is much better than the JK's.

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
You could adjust them by filling some of the openings, but I wouldn't... In my JK, I simply drilled holes in the pods and got better results than with them sealed. However, the output and response with these vented pods in the JL, is much better than the JK's.
Thanks, That’s encouraging. I’ve got everything to make some vents. I’ll try those and play with the resistance. If that doesn’t work I’ll pick some vents up.

Sponsored

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
To start with, I am just installing a single Odyssey battery, but I will probably add a second battery. I think the stock alternator is going to be sufficient, but if I find any weakness there, I'll upgrade that, too. Keep in mind, the available wattage is a little over 3,000 rms, but the system would never really be pushing anywhere near that. Average loud listening is gonna be more in the few hundred watt range... The rest is just a ton of headroom. ;)
Did you ever end up installing the Odyssey battery? Which one did you go with?

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Just read through everything. Great to see the impressive build pics. Looks amazing and I’m sure it sounds even better.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Just read through everything. Great to see the impressive build pics. Looks amazing and I’m sure it sounds even better.
Thank you! I'm really enjoying the sound...

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Well, I have started a comparison of subs, to determine what sounds best to me...

Two 12" Adire Audio Brahmas in a small-ish sealed box (2.3 cu.ft.), vs. One 15" Brahma in a large sealed box (3.4 cu.ft.), vs. my current Hutchinson 10" NDFEB in a small-ish ported box (1.3 cu.ft.).

I'm starting with building the box for the two 12"s, in progress right now:

IMG-20201229-111802301.jpg

IMG-20210101-135919108.jpg

IMG-20210105-102425816.jpg

IMG-20210105-103306011.jpg

IMG-20210105-103447602.jpg

IMG-20210105-131046578.jpg

IMG-20210105-153522523.jpg

IMG-20210105-153610098.jpg

After this box is done, I'll build the box for the 15", which will be very challenging to get 3.4 cu.ft in my little 2 door Jeep!

Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
That's beautiful. I don't see any screws, is the entire box assembled with adhesive only?
Thank you!

Yes, just glue and in some spots finishing nails... I am anti-screws in a sub box. ;)

If the boards are cut really straight and the joints fit tight, wood glue is much stronger than screws and provides the best air-tight joint, too.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
It will be finished with carpet, black paint and perforated aluminum to match the trim panel.

IMG-20200512-100757225.jpg

IMG-20200512-101020513.jpg

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
David, were you not satisfied with your Hutchinson sub, or are you just restless and want a project?
Sponsored