Attn: MAll Crawlers/Urban Dwellers

Beetle Bailey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, HD Dyna, HD Softail
While I was driving down the street the other day, a wrangler passed me and did not have a spare on the back.

It got me to thinking...How many of you city dwellers cruise your wrangler without a spare?

Any comments?
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
While I was driving down the street the other day, a wrangler passed me and did not have a spare on the back.

It got me to thinking...How many of you city dwellers cruise your wrangler without a spare?

Any comments?
Thats a dumb idea.

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
There's only two good reasons to NOT carry a spare on a Jeep:

1. You are too poor to afford a matching spare and don't want rock a non-matching spare on the back.
2. You run such large wheel diameters (read: 40" and up) that it is just nonsensical to try to carry that size of a spare, much less wheel with it, much less look out the rear window with it mounted on the tailgate.

Jeddi

First Name
Jeddi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK8
Hey I don't drive that far out of the area with this particular rig and have AAA tow. Got to say, after 20+ years of always having a spare, I really enjoy not having the weight (also had a very heavy bumper) and being able to see out of my back window. To each is own!

IMG_2631.JPG.jpeg

Sponsored

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I took mine off for a few reasons...This topic is beat to death BTW.
1. I didn't want to buy either a bumper mounted tire carrier or the reinforcement plate. My 35 inch k02 spare is 40 lbs over stock. Even with the plate you can ruin your tailgate if it hangs on a rock.

2. It gives WAY better rear view visibility. Small cars and motorcyclists are practically invisible out the rear view with the tire on there.

3. Not having to worry about my spare getting stolen.

4. I have 10 ply tires, a on board air compressor and a plug kit. I think I will be ok 99% of the time.
I throw the spare in the back and strap it down when head out for a trail run. I can even do this with the rear seats up with two straps. It does reduce rear cargo space but so far has not been an issue.

5. I like the way it looks. MORE SQUARE.

6. It makes closing the tailgate super easy, not swinging wide out if you are on a steep incline.

7. 0.05 better MPG's.

8. Just dont buy the ACE delete plate. It is a POS. Get the MOTOBUILT one instead.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...e-tire-delete-plate-disapointment-rant.18518/

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Why are you screaming? Shift button stuck? Let's be cordial, here.

Also you know that people can see that you are the author of your posts, you don't have to redundantly put your name at the end of them.
If you want to pick seeds out of cowpies, you can probably find another forum for that. :asshat:

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Driving any vehicle without a spare is dumb. I'm inclined to believe however that if people remove their spare, they probably wouldn't know how to change it anyway.

Gemball2018

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Hey I don't drive that far out of the area with this particular rig and have AAA tow. Got to say, after 20+ years of always having a spare, I really enjoy not having the weight (also had a very heavy bumper) and being able to see out of my back window. To each is own!

IMG_2631.JPG.jpeg
I would love some info on your rug, I absolutely love it so anything you care to share i would really appreciate it. Great job

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
If you drive your Jeep daily, You may have a Mall Crawler.
So what's the issue with Mall Crawlers out Jeep our Choice.
I like to keep my warranty a little while before I Add junk to the Jeep that destroys the ride quality and adds 600 extra pounds.

Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I get it on the street, to some degree, but not on the trail. Don't be the guy without a spare on the trail who gets the flat and instead of a quick trail change out with the spare, has to send someone to his trailer or borrow someone else spare or some other bologna. Don't be that guy. I've witnessed it and its sucks.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is my daily driver and I donā€™t rock crawl and I doubt going off road in the sand at the beach constitutes beating up my wrangler but there is so much crap on the highways I travel on here in Houston like angle iron, rocks, bricks lumber etc.. that I donā€™t want to be on the side of the road so I carry a matching spare ( BFG 315 KO2 ) on the rear fully inflated and ready and yes when I do a rotation itā€™s in the rotation

Jeddi

First Name
Jeddi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK8
Thanks Gemball. My rig is known as a JK8. it's a converted JK Unlimited truck conversion kit. Rolling on 37's, Mopar lift, and PSC flares. By far the best Jeep I've had (over 30), it's a fun little rig.

I would love some info on your rug, I absolutely love it so anything you care to share i would really appreciate it. Great job

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
;)I use to run with 5 tires. Then I took the spare off, loved it, and said, "why stop there."

I'm trying to develop a new sport for the Wrangler for the urban dweller. You country folk may have your off roading but we'll have "on railing"...which is the idea of taking our rigs on active and dangerous rail road tracks. No more stop signs for us! Check her out, ain't she a beauty.

#thetiresyoudon'thavethethievescan'tsteal

notires.jpg

koallinbear

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Ordered, 2016 Renegade Trailhawk
I've unfortunately come in contact with several jeepers who have changed out their 4 stock wheels to be bigger or have different rims and they either: left the small, un-matching spare on the back and looked like and idiot, or took the spare off entirely and looked like an even bigger idiot. In my opinion (And this is my opinion not everybody's), if you are going to modify your tire/rim setup, you should get a matching spare. If you can't afford to get a matching spare, then you shouldn't have changed it to begin with. There are exceptions to this rule, such as running 40s or larger which are hard to be mounted on the rear, but this goes back to the fact that if you can't afford to run the setup, you probably should not have done it in the first place. In addition to that, if you are running 40s for trail use, you should always have a spare with you. I used to wheel my 2016 Renegade Trailhawk with a 1.5 inch lift and 30 inch BFG KO2s and even I added a tire carrier with a full size on the rear. Just my opinion....
Sponsored