Attn: MAll Crawlers/Urban Dwellers

frajnai

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2011 Mustang GT
While I was driving down the street the other day, a wrangler passed me and did not have a spare on the back.

It got me to thinking...How many of you city dwellers cruise your wrangler without a spare?

Any comments?

What does the location of one's dwelling have to do with why the person may or may not have a spare? How do you know that the tire wasnt replaced and the spare is in a shop somewhere being repaired, or in the back of the jeep being transported to a tire shop as you saw it?

Your post had a judgmental tone to it that makes me want to challenge you to a duel.
Urban soy boy mall crawler vs. tobacco chewin hardcore country offroad guy. Lets roll!
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
What does the location of one's dwelling have to do with why the person may or may not have a spare? How do you know that the tire wasnt replaced and the spare is in a shop somewhere being repaired, or in the back of the jeep being transported to a tire shop as you saw it?

Your post had a judgmental tone to it that makes me want to challenge you to a duel.
Urban soy boy mall crawler vs. tobacco chewin hardcore country offroad guy. Lets roll!
So which one are you? Soy boy or off-road guy?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR

I don't necessarily think the OP @Beetle Bailey was trying to be judgmental (based on other posts I've seen from him seems nice enough), just referring to those of us who mostly stick to pavement (although I could be wrong). Subsequent responses were definitely more in the judgmental category.

sleepnclass

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Has anyone here actually called roadside assistance? They outsource their tows to the lowest bidder which often times means it will take hours before they arrive. Whereas I can change my tire in no time. When you finally get a flat that you can't plug, you're going to be glad you carried a spare all these years.

I don't know about everyone else, but I like to be self sufficient and not have to rely on calling someone. Aren't the spare delete people the same people who say things like "that's not a real jeep, that's a mall crawler" Well you're not a real man if you cry about carry around a spare tire and changing it yourself if god forbid you ever get a flat? or how about why even buy a winch if you're probably never going to use it? C'mon logic
I don’t mind changing a tire. At the same time though I don’t want to get wasted on a freeway because SUZANNE was sending a text.

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I don’t mind changing a tire. At the same time though I don’t want to get wasted on a freeway because SUZANNE was sending a text.
You can crawl all the way to an exit if you'd like since you have a spare. If you stay in your car and wait for tow, you'd be sitting in the dangerous freeway full of Suzannes for however many hours it takes for tow to get there.

sleepnclass

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
You can crawl all the way to an exit if you'd like since you have a spare. If you stay in your car and wait for tow, you'd be sitting in the dangerous freeway full of Suzannes for however many hours it takes for tow to get there.
Fair point but depending on where you are there may not be an exit in limping distance.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Fair point but depending on where you are there may not be an exit in limping distance.
It wouldn’t matter how much you damage your rims crawling to a safe area because you have a perfectly good spare to change into

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
While I run a spare, after many years of doing so, I found it funny/stupid to have one just running around town. Most of us are running tires that are 10 ply rated, have massive lugs, and are made to run over sharp rocks and trees, and we're afraid of puncturing them on a casual road? I caught a screw in my 35" duratrac a while back, and it was leaking air...I was able to take the screw out and plug the tire without even taking it off the Jeep, and I have onboard air to refill when Im done. The reality is, the odds of you getting a flat on offroad tires is fairly low, and the odds of it being not repairable right then and there are practically 0. When I get my JL with 37" coopers, I very well may not run a spare around town, and only throw it on when I head out on a wheeling trip out west.
Amen.

I traded in a car that didn't have a spare ... or even a jack, it did have run flats but if the tire shredded I needed to call a flat trailer. I just removed my spare yesterday on my Jeep. Screw in tire. Screw in tired since last week.

I'm 55, been driving since I was 15. I had one on road flat back in 1977, running on 2 ply crappy tires.

Sure, I've woken up in the morning to a flat. I air up and drive to a tire place. I just don't like the look of the tire hanging on the back, and there are a list of other reasons. BUT, I put it in cargo area, am building a top for it and will carpet it, under that top will be the compressor I have for air downs, the plug kit, tools etc, really loosing what 10 inch of storage, which I can spare.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
And and of note, the scissor Jack is a total piece of crap. Without getting a high lift, are there good options? I was afraid it was going to fall off the jack in my garage. I can't imagine using it on the trail.

Sponsored

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
i don't. Mine is mounted and in the garage. But only because it won't fit on the bumper. I do a 5 tire rotation, and by the time that comes around, i should have the little bit of clearance I need to mount it. But until then, I don't need it much.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
It wouldn’t matter how much you damage your rims crawling to a safe area because you have a perfectly good spare to change into
Wheels aren't free. I'm not about to jump out on an active freeway, but driving a mile and eating up a $300+ wheel just so I can change out the tire with a spare doesn't seem smart, even if you do have a spare available.

It's far easier to call someone out, and much less expensive. Around here, they are quick, too. No hour long waits.

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I've had 3 flats. Flat one was an '83 suburban. I was 14. Driver rear blew out on I40 between Wilmington and Raleigh on Easter Sunday. Pre-Cell phones. I almost had to stand on the lug-wrench to break the bolts, but I got it changed without getting hit. Flat 2 was a crappy kia rental car coming off a ferry in WA. Will never rent another car from Budget. They exhibited what I'll call poor customer service. Flat 3 was on a ford fiesta on I80 in February in Iowa. Driver Front. Hit a huge pothole that the plows gouged. most difficult spare change I've ever had at 2 degrees F in the pitch black while snowing. Trying to find the lift point was pretty fun. Still, given my experiences, I'll be keeping the spare on the Jeep. We have AAA too, but if I can change it myself, that's my preference.

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
So to answer the OP’s question, there’s multiple ways to drive a Jeep and multiple ways to fix your tire. End of story.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
In that scenario I’m replying to, he had to drive to safety anyways because of his dangerous situation
Sponsored