Attn: MAll Crawlers/Urban Dwellers

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
I rotated my spare with my JK, I ended up getting 75000 miles out of a set of cooper ATP 33's rated for 60,000 miles. Others may not have had the same luck but I'm a believer.

I can't tell if you're joking, but... there's no luck involved. Each tire still wore out at 60,000 miles.

The vehicle went 75,000 miles on 5 tires. Each tire was used 4/5 of the time. 75k * (4/5) = 60k.

Put another way, you replaced 5 tires at 75,000 miles instead of 4 at 60,000. Just for yucks we'll say each tire cost $100. $500 @ 75,000 miles = 150 miles per dollar spent on tires. $400 @ 60,000 miles = 150 miles per dollar spent on tires...

Which isn't to say it's a bad idea, I'd agree it's a GOOD idea. But it only makes your tires last longer in days, not miles.
Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I can't tell if you're joking, but... there's no luck involved. Each tire still wore out at 60,000 miles.

The vehicle went 75,000 miles on 5 tires. Each tire was used 4/5 of the time. 75k * (4/5) = 60k.

Put another way, you replaced 5 tires at 75,000 miles instead of 4 at 60,000. Just for yucks we'll say each tire cost $100. $500 @ 75,000 miles = 150 miles per dollar spent on tires. $400 @ 60,000 miles = 150 miles per dollar spent on tires...

Which isn't to say it's a bad idea, I'd agree it's a GOOD idea. But it only makes your tires last longer in days, not miles.
Evenly worn spare tire when you need it = priceless

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Just out of curiosity, with the guys doing the 5 tire rotation, what do you have to do to your TPMS in order to get the new 4th tire to register in the dash and the old 4th tire to deregister?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Just out of curiosity, with the guys doing the 5 tire rotation, what do you have to do to your TPMS in order to get the new 4th tire to register in the dash and the old 4th tire to deregister?
I think I read somewhere that after driving a bit, the computer automatically adjusts?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Honestly....don’t look at that stuff, no lights or buzzers ever went off so never paid attention. I use a tire gauge when I air up my tires, some of you youngsters probably don’t know what that is:giggle:.
Indeed. I keep a tire gauge in the glove box ;)

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Heh Heh, I just got rid of all my TPMS XMITTERS--

I don't get no stinking alarms !

I just check my tires---

W.E.

JIMBO

snowren24

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2007 Acura TL-S, 2013 Triumph Street Triple
Vehicle Showcase

my set of 5 tires lasted for more jeep miles than a set of 4 would have is what I was saying. I know its not magic lol.

my point was more that buying the 5th tire isn't a waste of money as long as you rotate it in. If you rotate it in you get the value out of the tire and the look of the matching set.

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
Heh Heh, I just got rid of all my TPMS XMITTERS--

I don't get no stinking alarms !

I just check my tires---

W.E.

JIMBO
I got rid of mine also I hate the dam things. I can tell when a tire is low by feel and if a tire blows out you’ll know before that sensor.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
It's even in the owners manual Roky--when the ECU(computer) doesn't get ANY SIGNAL from the rotating wheels--it goes on "STANDBY" and all you'll get is the little yellow ICON in the TACH--no alarms/buss/whistles--etc--

You just have to drive at 20mph for over 15 minutes and the ECU will accept it-
SUNP0194_zpswzl72mix.jpg

When you turn the ignition on--the display turns red/w red lines for the psi display's-

Jeeps TPMS has ALWAYS been a PITA !

Good luck
How you do that, like to do that to lot of this buzzer , lights crap.
JIMBO

Sponsored

Bronx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
I'm at 2400 miles so haven't done a tire rotation yet. What pattern do you guys and gals use for a 5 tire rotation?

I know I get a couple free oil changes/tire rotations, but it's going to be less time consuming to just do them myself.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
When you don't have that SAFETY system, you'll want to check your tires now & then and that's GOODLY !

I ran my '08 JKIR for 8 years without TPMS system and had no PROBLEMO !

Good day

JIMBO

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I don't know why people care either way. About half of all cars today don't have spares. Most flats can be just as easily fixed with a plug kit. If you have your tires rotated at a dealership or tire shop they're usually overtorqued anyway and the cheesy little tire iron you get with the vehicle couldn't take them off even if you wanted to. Everybody else's spare tire preferences don't affect me either way.

BTW I see more off roading Jeeps without spares than I do mall crawlers. Mall crawlers usually don't bother messing with the factory configuration in any way.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
Not that I want to go off road without a spare, but here is another viewpoint on a different vehicle type.

I converted a tour bus to a motorhome and there are many others that have done this. Many do not carry a spare even with a 40,000 lb vehicle. The logic is they will just use their phone and call someone else to do it. So they save space and weight. I still carry a spare, even if its old...

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know why people care either way. About half of all cars today don't have spares. Most flats can be just as easily fixed with a plug kit. If you have your tires rotated at a dealership or tire shop they're usually overtorqued anyway and the cheesy little tire iron you get with the vehicle couldn't take them off even if you wanted to. Everybody else's spare tire preferences don't affect me either way.

BTW I see more off roading Jeeps without spares than I do mall crawlers. Mall crawlers usually don't bother messing with the factory configuration in any way.
True that, I used to carry a 24" breaker bar in my Mustang just for that reason.
The factory iron wouldn't even budge those lugs after they'd been in a shop.
Sponsored