ATTENTION THOSE LOOKING TO INSTALL WINCH ON MOPAR STEEL BUMPER

dajuicejml

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
Thank you for the info. Yes, I had to trim the bumper mounts as well. That beast is a tight fit! Any reason you went with the JCR fairlead over the Factor 55? I am using the Warn fairlead that came with the winch, but I like the look of the black rather than chrome.
Definitely a fat man in a little suit... I used the JCR Winch Plate and have several buddies that have used some of their products with good luck and positive feedback. I honestly just liked the combination of the black/aluminum on their Fairlead compared to the solid black Factor55. I'm sure the Factor version is GREAT because their products are as solid as they come, but it was just something different for me. One thing in particular that I did NOT like was how the Warn Fairlead extended above the filler panel in the center. The top portion where the warn logo is sticking up past the plate just didn't look like the proper fitment in my opinion. Again, I'm sure it functions well, I just didn't care for the look personally.
Sponsored

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
Definitely a fat man in a little suit... I used the JCR Winch Plate and have several buddies that have used some of their products with good luck and positive feedback. I honestly just liked the combination of the black/aluminum on their Fairlead compared to the solid black Factor55. I'm sure the Factor version is GREAT because their products are as solid as they come, but it was just something different for me. One thing in particular that I did NOT like was how the Warn Fairlead extended above the filler panel in the center. The top portion where the warn logo is sticking up past the plate just didn't look like the proper fitment in my opinion. Again, I'm sure it functions well, I just didn't care for the look personally.
Sometimes it just comes down to what looks best. I agree that the black/aluminum combo looks great. I want to change mine out, but that means taking the bumper back off :(. Getting to those 4 internal bumper nuts isn't easy!

dbungard

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Here's an install video of the Zeon 10S using the WARN Winch Plate

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to bump this thread again, but for what it's worth, I wouldn't recommend the @JcrOffroad winch plate to anyone looking to install a winch in the MOPAR bumper. I originally went with the JCR for my WARN ZEAON 12s, and was so dissatisfied with it that I took it out and put the WARN plate in.

The install was a GIANT pain in the butt... having to jack up the plate, grinding the frame horn, fighting with positioning the winch just exactly right, getting those stupid spacers lined up, etc etc. The front part of the winch plate that goes mates up to the frame horn (and ultimately where the bumper studs go through), was misaligned and so putting the bumper back on took a ridiculous amount of shimmy-ing and wiggling to get the studs through. The only way I could get the plate to line up on the frame horn for the bumper to go back on was to pull the bottom bolt on the driver's side of the winch plate (the one the plate 'rotates on'), but then after the bumper was on that bolt hole didn't line up, so I had to bore it out some.

Then once the install was complete, the winch plate would flex every time I operated the winch under load, allowing the winch to move. (See Video below - sorry for all the words, my 8 year old was applying brake to load the winch, and he's never driven before obviously). Especially around the :40 sec mark, you can clearly see the winch moving within the bumper.

A winch should not move like this. This is totally unacceptable. And yes, I checked (basically re-did) the install and torque on everything. Winch still flexed within the bumper.

So, I pulled it all apart again and installed the WARN winch plate. The WARN plate is in a whole different league. Just looking at it next to the JCR plate is enough for me. Sorry I'm just realizing the shadows in this picture are funky, but this doesn't even show the WARN brackets that connect the back of the winch plate down to the frame for added structural integrity. Also, I had zero issues installing the WARN plate. Everything lines up, the instructions were clear, there was no struggling with getting the winch to squeeze in there, they had an effective and easy solution for holding the winch plate in place while placing the bumper back on, and guess what?! No winch movement under load! My winch also has plenty of clearance between the bumper and the grill.

And, for the icing on the cake, the WARN plate is the same plate that FCA sells and installs when you buy a winch from the dealership, so it falls under the warranty.

IMG_5885.JPG

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR StingGray
Sorry to bump this thread again, but for what it's worth, I wouldn't recommend the @JcrOffroad winch plate to anyone looking to install a winch in the MOPAR bumper. I originally went with the JCR for my WARN ZEAON 12s, and was so dissatisfied with it that I took it out and put the WARN plate in.

The install was a GIANT pain in the butt... having to jack up the plate, grinding the frame horn, fighting with positioning the winch just exactly right, getting those stupid spacers lined up, etc etc. The front part of the winch plate that goes mates up to the frame horn (and ultimately where the bumper studs go through), was misaligned and so putting the bumper back on took a ridiculous amount of shimmy-ing and wiggling to get the studs through. The only way I could get the plate to line up on the frame horn for the bumper to go back on was to pull the bottom bolt on the driver's side of the winch plate (the one the plate 'rotates on'), but then after the bumper was on that bolt hole didn't line up, so I had to bore it out some.

Then once the install was complete, the winch plate would flex every time I operated the winch under load, allowing the winch to move. (See Video below - sorry for all the words, my 8 year old was applying brake to load the winch, and he's never driven before obviously). Especially around the :40 sec mark, you can clearly see the winch moving within the bumper.

A winch should not move like this. This is totally unacceptable. And yes, I checked (basically re-did) the install and torque on everything. Winch still flexed within the bumper.

So, I pulled it all apart again and installed the WARN winch plate. The WARN plate is in a whole different league. Just looking at it next to the JCR plate is enough for me. Sorry I'm just realizing the shadows in this picture are funky, but this doesn't even show the WARN brackets that connect the back of the winch plate down to the frame for added structural integrity. Also, I had zero issues installing the WARN plate. Everything lines up, the instructions were clear, there was no struggling with getting the winch to squeeze in there, they had an effective and easy solution for holding the winch plate in place while placing the bumper back on, and guess what?! No winch movement under load! My winch also has plenty of clearance between the bumper and the grill.

And, for the icing on the cake, the WARN plate is the same plate that FCA sells and installs when you buy a winch from the dealership, so it falls under the warranty.

IMG_5885.JPG
Nice write up, thanks. I wonder if the warn plate can be used for other brands of winches? It looks like the best made plate of all of them.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I had a great experience installing my Rusty’s winch plate, as another option.
I think warn plate has 2 sets of holes. they are same std foot print as most. Warn’s website has the dimensions on their winches.

Rusty’s looks great unless you have a big winch, their bracket is inside the frame taking up real estate.

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Nice write up, thanks. I wonder if the warn plate can be used for other brands of winches? It looks like the best made plate of all of them.
Thanks!!

Yes the WARN plate does fit other winches, it uses the standard 10" x 4.5" mounting pattern. But AFAIK WARN hasn't published a list of other MFR winches that fit, so you'd have to check the bolt pattern on whatever winch you're considering.

JasonMSN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I just installed the Warn plate yesterday. I have a Warn XD9000, which it says fits but requires a "relocating plate", which I did not order. So thought I'd try to fit it in somehow and was successful, but had to use my cutting wheel to modify the stock bumper a bit to fit the control box. Was a tight fit, but between my son and I we got it on.

20180624_102328.jpg

20180624_102321.jpg

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Perfect timing!:fist bump: I had just posted about the differnce in winch plates. I am trying to findout if the Superwinch 10 exp will fit? The bolt patttern is the same. but the winch is listed at 3/8 wider the width however is measured across the top of thehousing by the drum. The bottom of the housing appears narrower. see pictures below. So it sounds like the rustys is out, and the Jcr is out don't know about the atp ( extreme terrain) I wonder if you could answer another question is the warn 12k bigger than the the zeon 10K dimension wise? and if so where ? and thanks again for a ver timely post!:clap::like:

image.png

Superwinch_EXPi_Line_Drawing_grande.jpg

Superwinch_dimensions10s EXPi_Line_Drawing_grande.jpg

Attachments

Sponsored

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Perfect timing!:fist bump: I had just posted about the differnce in winch plates. I am trying to findout if the Superwinch 10 exp will fit? The bolt patttern is the same. but the winch is listed at 3/8 wider the width however is measured across the top of thehousing by the drum. The bottom of the housing appears narrower. see pictures below. So it sounds like the rustys is out, and the Jcr is out don't know about the atp ( extreme terrain) I wonder if you could answer another question is the warn 12k bigger than the the zeon 10K dimension wise? and if so where ? and thanks again for a ver timely post!:clap::like:

image.png

Superwinch_EXPi_Line_Drawing_grande.jpg

Superwinch_dimensions10s EXPi_Line_Drawing_grande.jpg
It looks like your Superwinch will fit the WARN plate just fine. The image was small and when I zoomed in the numbers got all blurry, but I wouldn't be worried about the width front to back, it can't be any larger than my ZEON 12s and I had plenty of room all around with the WARN plate.

Yes, dimensionally the WARN ZEON 10 and ZEON 12 are the same size. Different internals is what gives the extra capacity.

Good luck!

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Thanks You would not belive how hard itis to get an answer to that question.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Front lic plate isnt req in minnesota. Raised, Lived and drove there for 30 years. Cops around the cities between minneapolis to silver ba dont care. Same with st cloud amd mankato

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK, 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 1987 Jeep Comanche
Occupation
Manufacturer
Extremely sorry to hear about your issues with our winch plate. I have forwarded this thread to our engineering department, as well as to fabrication to check tolerances. I would love to figure out a way to make this right. Sending you a PM now.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Extremely sorry to hear about your issues with our winch plate. I have forwarded this thread to our engineering department, as well as to fabrication to check tolerances. I would love to figure out a way to make this right. Sending you a PM now.
Given your return policy, I look forward to hearing about your fix as well.
Sponsored