Sponsored

Attaching BD squadron pros to after market switch - which wires to use?

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

So I purchased the Baja Designs A-Pillar kit and just finished installing a JL300 switch panel that I’ll use to run them, but I am struggling to understand how to attach the lights into my switch, as the already comes with an individual switch attached:
Jeep Wrangler JL Attaching BD squadron pros to after market switch - which wires to use? 3E9A9771-A606-4B8A-A89C-7CFD9E20A265

I’ve spent the greater part of the last two hours looking through the forums and YouTube (which seem to be nothing but install videos for the fog lights), and hoping that someone could help guide me on how to get these bad boys wired up.

The rest of the wiring looks pretty easy as it’s just attaching them to the battery terminals.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
If you're just trying to eliminate this switch, cut the two red wires and splice them together. They are the I/O for the switch. The black wire is just a ground for the light in the switch. You can just cut this and leave it alone.

OP
OP
A Sober Animal

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

Sounds easy enough - spice the two red together, extend it into a terminal and attach to my existing switch. Are you sure there isn't anything I need to do with the grounding wire? Would be pretty easy to attach it to the frame of the car by my switch.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Sounds easy enough - spice the two red together, extend it into a terminal and attach to my existing switch. Are you sure there isn't anything I need to do with the grounding wire? Would be pretty easy to attach it to the frame of the car by my switch.
That ground isn’t a chassis ground, so it’ll be ok to just leave it cut. It’s only there to make the lighted switch light work.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
This is a decent clip for that type switch. I wired 4 different switched lighting circuits that way and the indicator light comes on when the switch is active

OP
OP
A Sober Animal

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

Just to close the loop on this one, in case anyone runs into the same issue, the prior instructions given on these forums are incorrect. For a powered switch like the JL300, which provides power to the accessory, the correct method is as follows:

1) Attach the ground terminal (black) to the battery. No action on the hot terminal (red); I ended up just taping it up and tucking it away.
2) Determine which wire from the switch (it is not always the bottom wire per the above video) provides power. This will be wired into your switch, so that when turned on, provides power.
3) All other wires are not necessary. I ended up cutting up part of my harness and removing them for a cleaner install in the engine bay.
Sponsored