cwadle

First Name
cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Super excited to see this build polished off, really is impressive what has been done. Love it!
Sponsored

OP
OP
rtucker6508

rtucker6508

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
AtlasOffroadConcepts.com
Vehicle(s)
(2) 2019 JLURs, 2015 JKU, 2010 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Super excited to see this build polished off, really is impressive what has been done. Love it!
Thank you! Me too... just dropped the fenders and inner fenders off for powder coating this morning!!! Woo hoo

jpb

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Soon 2019 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Nice, but why didn't you just get a sport model since it seems like you're upgrading everything anyway? even the bumper was a steel bumper which you took off anyway

OP
OP
rtucker6508

rtucker6508

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
AtlasOffroadConcepts.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice, but why didn't you just get a sport model since it seems like you're upgrading everything anyway? even the bumper was a steel bumper which you took off anyway
Hi JP,

I've heard that question for years! It seems like it's a standard one for many people. Here are a few of my reasons for going the route that I did:

1) I have already built 3 JKs (2 JKUs, 1 JK) from the base Sport model as we listened to that exact question and the opinions when we bought our 1st Jeeps. In the end with all 3 of them, we found that you actually don't save money and, in reality, will end up spending more on so many little parts, labor, adjustments and upgrades that it doesn't make financial sense.

2) The Rubicon model allows me to go at a pace that makes sense and still keep an extremely capable Jeep throughout the build. Example: I can upgrade the wheels and tires and wait on the major axle upgrade until I really settle on what I want. In the meantime I still have decent gearing, lockers, sway bar disconnect and a solid vehicle with the Gen 3 Dana 44s.

3) I have an electronic disconnect for my sway bar forever! I don't see any advantage whatsoever in moving to the various aftermarket sway bars (especially when they actually don't give you any advantage over my electronic disconnect and will give me less travel).

4) When I do switch my axles I now have a complete set of Gen 3 Dana 44s that I will put on another Sport build.

5) The interior of the Rubicon in comparison to the Sport is night and day. Massive difference! Kind of like Mercedes vs Honda... :)

I have more but you get the idea. I hope that helps!

Rob

Sponsored

OP
OP
rtucker6508

rtucker6508

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
AtlasOffroadConcepts.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Bradenframe

First Name
Braden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Nice. I’m a tad jealous.
I went with 37’s because I was concerned about going larger on the stock axles and gears...seeing you roll 40’s on there kills me...I’d have easily gone 38’s at least, just for fun, had I known.

Oh well...we’ll see what happens in 30k miles when it’s time for new tires!

OP
OP
rtucker6508

rtucker6508

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
AtlasOffroadConcepts.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice. I’m a tad jealous.
I went with 37’s because I was concerned about going larger on the stock axles and gears...seeing you roll 40’s on there kills me...I’d have easily gone 38’s at least, just for fun, had I known.

Oh well...we’ll see what happens in 30k miles when it’s time for new tires!
I hear ya! It was a big thought process and debate for us. When we saw some at EJS on 40s with the stock 44s we made the decision to do the same.

Definitely go 38s with your next set! I love the Patagonia 38s. We're about to put them on one of our other jeeps.

Bradenframe

First Name
Braden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I hear ya! It was a big thought process and debate for us. When we saw some at EJS on 40s with the stock 44s we made the decision to do the same.

Definitely go 38s with your next set! I love the Patagonia 38s. We're about to put them on one of our other jeeps.
Thanks.

We’ll see...

I don't drive a lot.

Maybe next year I’ll have the initial round of mods paid off...then I can re-gear, swap the 3.5” teraflex for a 5” long arm kit with some fox shocks, and bounce to 40’s

Sponsored

OP
OP
rtucker6508

rtucker6508

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
AtlasOffroadConcepts.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like the Pulsar Programmer?

Great build BTW!
I really like it. It does feel like there is more power and better response. The installation was easy. The only challenge is that I also installed a Tazer JL Mini and you have to get used to turning the Cruise Control on when you want to use the Tazer (it turns the Pulsar off). They do work together well though!

Thank you.. it's a work in progress!

DURSO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have a Tazer JL Mini already. Like it a lot. Do you have both so that you can control the options that the Pulsar doesn't? (Offroad, etc)

Just trying to figure out if I need to have both. I am mostly going to just use the Pulsar for the Regear to 4.88, 37" tires and TPMS.

Was also wondering if you need to marry/unmarry the Pulsar when you go in for service, or if you need to have a re-flash. Seems like you wouldn't since it is "after" the PCM in sequence.

Thanks again for the feedback.

OP
OP
rtucker6508

rtucker6508

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
AtlasOffroadConcepts.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Tazer JL Mini already. Like it a lot. Do you have both so that you can control the options that the Pulsar doesn't? (Offroad, etc)

Just trying to figure out if I need to have both. I am mostly going to just use the Pulsar for the Regear to 4.88, 37" tires and TPMS.

Was also wondering if you need to marry/unmarry the Pulsar when you go in for service, or if you need to have a re-flash. Seems like you wouldn't since it is "after" the PCM in sequence.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Yes, I have it for the front camera and setting lighting options and swaybar, etc. It does a lot more on that side than the Pulsar. The Pulsar adds the power though!

I am thinking yes on the unmarry for service. I know Tazer says yes so I will do it for both. Now that I've done it once it's not that hard to take it out and in. I also have an aFe Cold Air system so it provides more room to maneuver than the stock system.

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
Nope, as mentioned in the original post, that's Phase 2...

As an FYI, there were a lot of JLs at EJS this year running stock 44s with zero issues. It's a different animal than JK and prior.
Do tell. How are the JL Rubicon axles different than the JK axles and besides that, how do you figure the stock axles can handle 40” tires?

OP
OP
rtucker6508

rtucker6508

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
AtlasOffroadConcepts.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do tell. How are the JL Rubicon axles different than the JK axles and besides that, how do you figure the stock axles can handle 40” tires?
There are a couple of threads on here comparing the two. You can look them up.

Also, reread the entire build list and you can see that axles are in Stage 2 for the long term...
Sponsored