Sponsored

At wit’s end with 2022 MT JLU

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Do the throttle controllers void the warranty? I know they aren’t too hard to install, but do you have to take them on and off again every time your car goes to the dealer? Or do they leave any record in the car’s computer? It’s an interesting option.
They don't void the warranty. No record of use (they work differently than a tune). I generally remove it before Jeep dealer visit but a couple times I left it on and they didn't say anything. Easily to install and remove (literally 5 minutes after the first time of figuring it out) . I use the Pedal Commander for my Wrangler and Tacoma but I heard the Pedal Monster is good as well.
Sponsored

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
So I've had the newest version of the CF2 clutch in my 2021 Sahara for almost 2 months now. Is it perfect? Nope, but overall feel and engagement is to me anyway nicer and smoother. I think again the weak links are the 3.45 gears and the odd gear spacing. I kinda noticed after the fact that most if not all of the glowing reviews of the CF2 were on Rubis, where again the deeper 4.10 gearing is gonna help a lot. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't hesitate to go CF2, but after a regear to at least 4.56. I'm still running 32's, although they are heavier Toyo AT3, but IMO putting the 3.45 gears on the 6sp was the worst decision they made in regards to the manual, close second is the unnecessary dual clutch set up. All sticks should have come with the 4.10, with rubi going 4.56 or 4.88...

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
I’m at about 12k miles 4.88 rubicon and I don’t have any of the issues you seem to have. Mine never chatters, all gears are usable, and the clutch just works? I’ve had lots of manual vehicles including an 05’ TJ. This transmission feels much better than the one on my TJ. That thing was just clunky, my wife hated driving it. I have zero issues with the JL on or off-road, and the wife loves to drive it. I honestly don’t understand why people change to the CF. I can simply take my foot off the clutch as is and it will climb a wall without stalling or slipping at idle. I see no gain in that mod. Regear is what most people actually need.

wsly14

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I have a JLR with the 6 speed and factory 4.88s. After 4,000 miles, I’m starting to feel like things are smoothing out. Not sure how much of it is the clutch breaking in and how much is me just adapting to it. It’s no doubt the clunkiest manual trans out of the 3 that I currently own, but I still get enjoyment out of shifting it myself, especially now that I’m finding it easier to hit perfectly matched shifts.

OP
OP
DP79

DP79

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport
So I've had the newest version of the CF2 clutch in my 2021 Sahara for almost 2 months now. Is it perfect? Nope, but overall feel and engagement is to me anyway nicer and smoother. I think again the weak links are the 3.45 gears and the odd gear spacing. I kinda noticed after the fact that most if not all of the glowing reviews of the CF2 were on Rubis, where again the deeper 4.10 gearing is gonna help a lot. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't hesitate to go CF2, but after a regear to at least 4.56. I'm still running 32's, although they are heavier Toyo AT3, but IMO putting the 3.45 gears on the 6sp was the worst decision they made in regards to the manual, close second is the unnecessary dual clutch set up. All sticks should have come with the 4.10, with rubi going 4.56 or 4.88...
So this kinda goes back to my original question: take a loss on a trade-in (and apparently get stuck driving an automatic forever), or invest more money in an improved clutch and re-gearing. That plus the throttle controller sounds like I might have the “should have been” MT versus the “as sold” MT. Tough choices.

Sponsored

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Background:
  • Have driven stickshift 32+ years
  • Owned everything from a stock honda civic 5-speed to a fully drag prepped Fox bodied Mustang with a modified world class T-5 with puck style clutch to handle all the powershifting abuse I could dish out
  • Worst shifting transmission I drove was a DSM Eclipse 5-speed. Best is my brothers 2011 CTSV 6-speed tremec t-56
  • I own a 2021 JLUR 6-speed that I bought to daily drive, do offroad trails (have done several greens and blues at various offroad parks) and for adventure (goal is to hit Colorado, Moab etc)
  • I can only speed to the Rubicons setup of 4.10 diff gears combined with 4:1 transfer case on 33's when stock and then modified
I happen to think the JLUR 6-speed setup stock is actually really good for its intended purpose, that off being an extremely capable offroad rig right off the showroom floor. I was amazing how it would idle up boulders etc in 1st and 4-low without touching the peddle and I was only limited by the clearance of the stock 33's and wheelbase.

Daily driving in 2-hi does expose the following weaknesses:
  • Inconsistent clutch take up feel with the dual clutch and dampened flywheel setup
  • no torque below 2,000rpm, took a while for me to adjust to that and not stall
  • inconsistent release setup due to the poor design of the hydralics
  • learning to drive through the gap between 1st and 2nd gear, essentially reving to 4k rpm in 1st to get into the torque ban in 2nd
The rev hang is there for emissions. My 2003 Z06 I used to have had it until I tuned it out so does not bother me. The clunking in the driveshaft also doesn't bother me. There's a lot of heavy duty rotating parts underneath you that can handle pretty good abuse offroad.

With that said I've done the following to optimize my setup with the CFII clutch kit being the most transformative:
  • AEV lift kit with small 35's (315/70/17 KO2's), AEV front and rear bumper/tire carrier etc. Still stock clutch and 4.10s. Essentially lost 6th gear for daily driving. Had to rev harder to get moving in 1st. Offroad still fantastic in 4-low but had to touch the gas peddle in 1st gear to get over some larger boulders
  • Added 4.88 gears. Wow what a difference. Drove better then stock. Power in 6th gear to navigate inclines in the highway. Could now idle over most things in 4-low offroad
  • CFII clutch kit: I think this along with the 4.88's has transformed my Jeep into a beast offroad and fantastic onroad manners. Feels like it has 50lb more torque off idle. Incline starts where i'd have to rev out to 2,000rpm in 1st to get going I can now do it right of idle. The single clutch and heavier flywheel makes for an extremely consistent clutch take up and pedal feel. The redesigned hydraulics has eliminated clutch release inconsistency. I was offroading in upstate NY yesterday and there was one hill that I could not get up without winching. However before i winched, i was literally spinning all 4 tires in 1st gear 4 low and was off the throttle. This wasn't in mod but rocks/gravel and leaves under the tires. Amazing setup
So in short, I think the JL 6-speed setup is awesome with a few mods (not cheap I admit). It will never be as smooth as a car but that's not its intended purpose.

Good luck with your journey and enjoy shifting the rig!

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Ya they suck . the only people that like them, are Fiat/Stelantis employees ,or people who dont use them off road . But i didnt mind mine on road, with 4:88 gears . but really who buys a Jeep JL for on road use?
2019 JLUR, 22k mi on 37's w/ Stock gearing (still). been driving stick in w/ my old Jeeps since 2003(ish) and a few random others (borrowed JKUR, Yard Tractor Trailer at a previous job, etc etc).
I like driving manual more than auto. the 8spd Auto in Wrangler is really nice (had a rental with it), and the initial Manual trans set up is... different, than my experience in the past. I'm still not crazy about it, but I think it's finally broken in, or has fully retrained my brain/ driving habits from my old TJ's. I think with taller gears (4.88's) I'll like it better off road. But I agree to an extent: With bigger tires, the powerband is not great and it stalls a lot. The pedal is extremely light and on the TJ's you could definitely feel the engagement range in the pedal. with the JLUR, if you blink, you miss it. I'll be holding on to mine (for now). That said- if it made sense I wouldn't mind getting an 8 speed Auto equipped Jeep, but it would be more related to drivetrain choices ( would 100% go Hemi/ 4xe if I could make the money make sense) and being able to have my wife drive/ move the Jeep if needed because she can't drive stick and has zero desire to learn.

OP- I think you just need to give it some time to acclimate. If you're still not a fan, figure out when you're ready to trade and you won't lose your shirt on trade.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
but really who buys a Jeep JL for on road use?
My neighbors, and many thousands like them.

Consider the sheer affection, plainly evident on this forum, for baubles like heated steering wheels, leather seating surfaces, etc., none of which are required for proper off-road work.

I'd wager the sheer scale of revenue from those particular sales serves to justify the Wrangler's continued production. While I think the sobriquet "mall crawler" is a bit precious, I'll be the first to give a thumbs-up to the purchasing habits of that constituency. They keep the rest of us in Jeeps. This is doubly true when considering how the vehicle's functionally static architecture continues to accrue distance away from ever-evolving automotive technologies.

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
My neighbors, and many thousands like them.

Consider the sheer affection, plainly evident on this forum, for baubles like heated steering wheels, leather seating surfaces, etc., none of which are required for proper off-road work.

I'd wager the sheer scale of revenue from those particular sales serves to justify the Wrangler's continued production. While I think the sobriquet "mall crawler" is a bit precious, I'll be the first to give a thumbs-up to the purchasing habits of that constituency. They keep the rest of us in Jeeps. This is doubly true when considering how the vehicle's functionally static architecture continues to accrue distance away from ever-evolving automotive technologies.
Well if we dont complain about what is lacking in our off road performance , we will end up with a fully independent suspension ,convertible, with 6 inches of ground clearance .

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Well if we dont complain about what is lacking in our off road performance , we will end up with a fully independent suspension ,convertible, with 6 inches of ground clearance .
I agree, William. 👍

Sponsored

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Regear is what most people actually need.
+1 on this. I've experienced a radical transformation moving from 3.45 -> 4.88's after 2" lift/315's. It solved a lot of issues, but most importantly the Wrangler is fun to drive again. I agree with he who said 6MT should come stock with 4.88's.

Jesus_fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Clubs

I love my Jeep, but I do wish the gearing on the MT was different, it feels like first is too short and 5th and 6th are rarely used. Kind of an odd problem. I will probably look into the Centerforce kit when the stock clutch is worn.

I'm still on the stock 33's and thought maybe a regear would be smart when I go bigger, but I wonder how that will make 1st feel...

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I have a 2021 6MT Sport and hated the clutch when I first bought my Jeep. After 14,000mi and pulling a few trailers full of camping gear to the Smoky Mountains, I've figured it out. Given the stock sport differential gearing I'm hesitant to go to 35's until I regear. I'm indifferent to the clutch and think the gearing is adequate for my stock Sport A/T tires. I do enjoy rowing my own gears when driving on pavement, but I'm still learning to climb obstacles with my Jeep.

To each their own, but I've grown into loving my Jeep the longer I've driven it.

AKLespaul

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 3.6 Six Speed All Rubicon Extras
I like the transmission with all it's stupid quirks. It has been solid. The clutch has scared me from the first time starting it and after hearing and seeing the issues I was done. I didn't want to take the chance of loosing the trans and clutch so I bought a CF2.

This is what the Jeep should have had to start. A stiffer pedal, smoother take up, and a good lock up. The lock up is somewhere around 200ftlbs more than factory. I did not have any issues with my clutch other than it felt like stepping on water. The CF2 is way better constructed and if you need pics of the factory and the CF let me know. The flywheel is way beefier than stock and is timed to the crank. Pain to install, but is noticeably better than stock. (Smoother, better off the light, and less throttle, no rev hang, and no chatter at all.)

I am very happy to have went with the CF2 even with a final price tag of $3400. It's a good investment as I plan to have this for as long as my YJ.

I had 11K miles on my factory clutch and it looks fine coming out, other than a really strange design. I would do it all again and do recommend it to anyone who may be on the fence.

If you have had issues with a CF2, please elaborate instead of just poo-pooing on the change. I want to know what and where the failure was. If not, go hang out at a Bronco automatic website.
Sponsored