Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Of course, if you paid cash for your jeep, and never drive or maintain it, it is simply a depreciating asset. If on the other hand you are like most Americans, there is registration, insurance, and maintenence costs at a minimum, all liabilities inherent to Jeep ownership. Then there's the vast majority who finance, many at an extremely high rate and term. For many of those, the resultant math is in fact a net negative by the time they sell the Jeep even without the initial purchase price. If you spend $100k+ on your $50k Jeep and eventually sell it for $30k I'd hardly call it an asset.
You might be confused over what assets and liabilities are. The Jeep is an asset. Those other things are liabilities, but they're not the Jeep itself. That Jeep goes on your balance sheet as an asset.

By your logic if I paid for my house with cash then it's not an asset since I have to pay taxes, insurance, utilities, etc. on it.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You might be confused over what assets and liabilities are. The Jeep is an asset. Those other things are liabilities, but they're not the Jeep itself. That Jeep goes on your balance sheet as an asset.

By your logic if I paid for my house with cash then it's not an asset since I have to pay taxes, insurance, utilities, etc. on it.
Eventually your Jeep will be worth less than the cost of a major repair on it was my point. Looking at it as an asset is short sighted at best. Sell it tomorrow it’s an asset. Wait ten years, especially if you use it that whole time and it’s worth nothing more than the memories made with it. Not using a Jeep for what it was designed for isn’t saving an “asset”, it’s wasting one.

Edslittleworld

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubi, '21 Crosstrek, '20 Miata, BMW moto's
I'll answer the OP's question a little differently. I'm on my sixth Wrangler. While it's the best and most capable of all my former ones, I'm less inclined to bang a $50K Rubicon up. I'm more into the road less traveled than thrills/chills. In fact, I usually end up taking my Subaru Crosstrek out on outdoor adventures. It's like wearing trail-runners instead of clunky hiking boots (like my Jeep). One day, the Jeep may even go...

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Eventually your Jeep will be worth less than the cost of a major repair on it was my point. Looking at it as an asset is short sighted at best. Sell it tomorrow it’s an asset. Wait ten years, especially if you use it that whole time and it’s worth nothing more than the memories made with it. Not using a Jeep for what it was designed for isn’t saving an “asset”, it’s wasting one.
Well maybe most vehicles, but Jeeps seem to be the exception, many 10 year old Jeeps are worth more than what the owner bought them for.

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm thinking that you might not have a full grasp of accounting.

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'll answer the OP's question a little differently. I'm on my sixth Wrangler. While it's the best and most capable of all my former ones, I'm less inclined to bang a $50K Rubicon up. I'm more into the road less traveled than thrills/chills. In fact, I usually end up taking my Subaru Crosstrek out on outdoor adventures. It's like wearing trail-runners instead of clunky hiking boots (like my Jeep). One day, the Jeep may even go...
That's why I'm attempting to build my Jeep into a rocklander. Good for overlanding while still having decent articulation for rock crawling.

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
I paid cash for my Rubicon Xtreme Recon and I don’t mind scraping over obstacles on occasion. I’m very careful to avoid body damage but not worried about a little underbody scratching.
I watched a lot of Lite Brites early JL videos when it was stock and just lightly modified. They dragged it over some crazy difficult obstacles and it was amazing how capable the stock JL is. As they heavily modified it I lost interest in their videos but good for them making a good living wheelin’
I think it’s fun every time I take it out!

Last edited:

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I was tempted to dive further down the accounting rathole, entering Wrangler as an asset on the balance sheet, a financing loan as a liability, enter depreciation expenses over time, as well as entering periodic maintenance as expenses, and bore all the non-accountants here to absolute tears. :LOL:

But I'd rather go a different way. I recently saw a video of some ancient and modified Pontiac Vibe, or some similar crossover-utility mixing it up in a line of jeeps on Steel Bender and other trails in Moab.

Commenters cheered at the surprising capability of the thing, and jeered the "over-built" jeeps it was "competing" with. But I saw something different:

Some dude, with nothing to lose, (a "fully depreciated asset" if you will) is torturing this ancient wreck through the wrocks. Who cares if it tears a CV boot, pops a ring and pinion, or bangs the oil pan open on an obstacle? No one - there's no real value at risk here. If the repair is relatively minor, he can fix it again and keep it running, and hey, more fun was had. Wrenching on the wreck is part of the allure. And if it ain't fixable he'll soon acquire another clunker for next to nothing and begin again.

Conversely, the so called "overbuilt" jeeps, if competently driven, aren't really putting anything at risk here.

Now, this old and unreliable beater is really only good for one thing - bashing through trails close to home. No one wants to drive it any distance or with any regularity to work; it's too unreliable and uncomfortable to take on long trips etc... It's a toy for playing on the rocks. An oversized RC car, if you will.

Now, say you want to be able to commute in reliable comfort, take long trips when desired, explore off road, and drive up some challenging off-road trails. Well, there's a Jeep for that, but it'll cost you.

Whether you view it as an "asset" or not, there's enough monetary value at risk here that most folks will most likely want to carefully consider any trail or obstacle that has a high likelihood of causing damage needing expensive repair or, heaven forbid, replacement.

And that, then, circles back to the original question: it's not fun anymore when I'm risking thousands of dollars in repairs, or significant damage to an expensive Jeep. That's not what it's for, and not what I'm here for. If I did want to do that, I'd start with an old TJ or something, a vehicle you don't even bother to carry collision or comprehensive insurance on.

tl;dr?
I didn't come out here to break my shit.

e-pill

First Name
edd-e
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-DOOR JLR 2.0L TURBO STING-GRAY
Occupation
INDESTRUCTIBLE ROBOTIC HYPER FISSION ENGINEER
I love my rubi.. when will it not be fun? honestly.. if we ever get single click power up windows..

lol

-side note.. was this posting always about Kevin and Britney? or did I miss a few posts in the middle when it changed to just about litebright nation. I enjoy their channel.. they wheel differently than me, in locations different as well.. I think I like their chaos for that.. we all have jeeps.. we spend endlessly on them.. im enjoying it..

my dream is to transform my 2door into a mini pickup .. like the jk8.. I always loved that.. until I do that, it will always be fun regardless of the metal scrapes on rocks sounds.. [cringe] but still fun!!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'm thinking that you might not have a full grasp of accounting.
The terms are easy to grasp, but like most accountants you seem hung up on them. At some point the depreciating asset, with its inherent liabilities, will become worth less than it costs to maintain. At that point, it's not an asset at all. Looking at a Jeep as an investment or even an asset that will hold any appreciable value is foolish. It's a toy, and much like the gi Joe's that the weird accountants kid never took out of the packages, still won't be worth anything in 20 years.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
The terms are easy to grasp, but like most accountants you seem hung up on them. At some point the depreciating asset, with its inherent liabilities, will become worth less than it costs to maintain. At that point, it's not an asset at all. Looking at a Jeep as an investment or even an asset that will hold any appreciable value is foolish. It's a toy, and much like the gi Joe's that the weird accountants kid never took out of the packages, still won't be worth anything in 20 years.
The risk of this mindset is it ignores repair costs or replacement value.

If I only treat the value of the thing as the value it's going to have when it's already used up, I may not take care of it, and may treat it as disposable.

New jeeps are expensive, and if it's really going to be wheeled hard without a care for damage, it's best to start with an older one that's already mostly used up.

I suspect when it comes to actions, rather than words, we all agree on this, and that you probably wheel your 2019 with a reasonable amount of care. You may sweat minor cosmetic level dents less than I do, I dunno. But I think the point you're trying to make is that wheeling is at least somewhat dangerous, and if we worry too much about the value of the jeep or cost of repairs - that'll spoil the fun we're trying to have. And that's true too.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Everyone on here bought a Jeep for a different reason. Some want to wheel, and others will treat it like it's a Ford Escape, and never put it in 4wd. It's there money, they can do what they want. I bought my Rubicon, put $25k in and love going to Moab climbing rocks, going to places with spotters, and having to build rock piles to help get over an obstacle. No, I don't go to the extreme they do, but if I had money and time I would. My dream is to sell the house, and buy a Crawler Hauler to travel, and go all over the US/Mexico wheeling and make Youtube videos of it. Probably never happen. So I'm reduced to the one big trip a year to Moab. Hopefully do the Rubicon trail soon. Anyway, the people on here that are judging them really should mind there business. They are having fun and enjoying life. I will honestly say her commenting can be a little annoying sometimes, but I know I can be annoying as well.
Sponsored

Last edited: