hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Went by the dealership and met with the mechanic. It is no secret that the engine compartment of the 3.0 diesel is very crammed. According to him, and what he showed me, the steering box can be loosened and turned but will not fit through the space inside the engine compartment without sliding the radiator forward about 1/2" to 1". Because I put an aftermarket front bumper and winch on the Jeep the dealership said I would have to pay for 1-2 hours of labor time. to move it forward so that they could move the radiator and front grill forward.

It seems unnecessary to me but I'm no mechanic. He said he has done many on the 3.6 and it was easy with no space issues.
@Redrockjk hey Dustin, I know you have done a ton of these change outs. Have you seen this on a 3.0?
Sponsored

BearcatMLA

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep 3.0L diesel granite crystal metallic
I would have told them if FCA made the box right they were not have to be changing it now. Bill FCA.
I tend to agree. Both the dealership and Jeep Cares said they would take care of everything stock related. Anything aftermarket would have to be removed/reset at owner's expense.

There just isn't any room in the engine compartment to move around. It is so tight there really isn't sufficient air flow in my opinion and seemingly that of my temperature gauges.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So, can I finally buy the latest steering box and be assured it's going to be nice and tight?

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
That would appear to be the main cause of the issue, I get a
very very minor feedback in the wheel now going over a decent sized bump. Nothing in comparison to what I was getting before, and with a solid axel I don’t know you could ever completely eliminate bump steer 100%. I haven’t done anything to it other than changing the settings on the stabilizer,

It was set at its firmest setting, 22 clicks, I set it to roughly match the firmness of the factory stabilizer which was around 5/6 clicks in. I drove it over the bumps that typically caused it and it still had a shimmy at that setting, I added two clicks in and ran the same roads again and it was 99.9% gone. I might be able to eliminate the very slight amount that is left with another click in but I really was just liking the fact I could drive the Jeep again without wanting to burn it to the ground.
That right there is what people need to understand. The JL is very sensitive to steering stabilizer settings. That is why Jeep has had so many revisions (6?) to their OEM steering stabilizer.

All those claiming steering stabilizer does not resolve shimmy/wobble (because they have been repeating it since the YJ days), need to reconsider their opinions.

On every single thread on death wobble here or on Facebook at least 10 people will feel compelled to jump in and say stabilizers don't resolve it, when that is at odds with the experiences of most JL owners.

Many completely stock JLs had death wobble and it was completely resolved by the dealer simply changing out the steering stabilizer under warranty. And many expertly modified Jeeps also had their wobble issues fixed only by changing or fine tuning the steering stabilizer.

Sponsored

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
That right there is what people need to understand. The JL is very sensitive to steering stabilizer settings. That is why Jeep has had so many revisions (6?) to their OEM steering stabilizer.

All those claiming steering stabilizer does not resolve shimmy/wobble (because they have been repeating it since the YJ days), need to reconsider their opinions.

On every single thread on death wobble here or on Facebook at least 10 people will feel compelled to jump in and say stabilizers don't resolve it, when that is at odds with the experiences of most JL owners.

Many completely stock JLs had death wobble and it was completely resolved by the dealer simply changing out the steering stabilizer under warranty. And many expertly modified Jeeps also had their wobble issues fixed only by changing or fine tuning the steering stabilizer.
OK
Give Exact Center a hard look to stop DW. We will let you test our stop DW with the Exact Center.
Call Tony if you have DW and want it stopped.
Tony will be there if you have questions or need help, he is a Jeeper having built many. His latest project is a 2004 rubicon, he has a 1989 Comanche with 11" lift 35's and Exzxact Center he says he has driven 90 no hands-on I-75. I will skip that ride. Youth has no fear. Todd his dad has a TJ seen on the backing video. It has 4" long arm lift 33's 313 Mopar V8 and a 75lb Exact Center and he to says 85 no hands even in the wind on I-75 no big deal, That too I will skip. Today I drove my 2021 JLUR 392 XR 35"s and 3-4" factory lift with 75lb Exact Center and on that 80-85 no hands is no issue. The car drives as well as any SUV, Suburban, new Truck, and even 9 out of 10 cars. It is perfect even in 16 degrees below this morning. You can guess we live a breath Exact Center now for the last 22 years. We also invented The Blue Ox RV TruCenter which was great at the time, but nowhere as good as Exact Center. It used a single gas spring that was compressed in right or left turns by means of a Rubiks Cube level puzzle of 4 steel tubes. Users loved it as it had Dynamic center on the fly adjustment. We have a new trim on the fly hydraulic add-on for the EC, but it will be sold for RV and big tricks. Kind of a show-off thing RV's like, Jeep people like to run over things to show off.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Crazy thread but glad you got it fixed. I’ve been having this issue on my 21 diesel. Everything is proper to spec but I did notice my factory ball joints weren’t as tight as I’d think they need to be fit what’s listed as they torque values so I upped them to them next castle nut hole. Hopefully that fixes it because like you, I’m getting exhausted with dealing with it in the garage.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

There is a giant difference between death wobble and a shimmy. No steering stabilizer is going to fix actual death wobble.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
There is a giant difference between death wobble and a shimmy. No steering stabilizer is going to fix actual death wobble.
Exactly. In fact I would argue that a SS makes DW worse in many cases as it dampens the steering feel so you don't feel DW starting until it's too bad to easily control.

To hunt down steering issues I like to remove the SS all together. If the Jeep steers cleanly without a SS you are all good.

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
Our 2018 JLR had DW with factory stabilizer would DW on hitting holes at 45 mph and at 10000 miles (we did this on command to show what EC could do, however, 7 out of 7 drivers made it happen at the same spot) never offroad no mods. We stopped it for the next 5000 miles with EC. During that time the factory recalled it for a stabilizer upgrade. We took off EC put back first Factory SS took the JLR to the dealer, he installed the new factory stabilizer that could never be made to DW in all the places to first factory unit could. So I would say first the Exact Center we installed did stop DW and later the newer factory stabilizer did not let it happen again. Was it hiding in the JLR somewhere just waiting? Maybe but that same JLR stayed on my Uconnect for the next 2 years or more and I never saw another recall or service issue listed. I removed it last November when I got a 2021 Ram Limited and my grandson took it off and put the limited on. That was 36000 miles of no death wobble when stops were done and no changes repairs or fixes. That has to say something about the whole DW thing. What ever is hiding is hid real good
I am not an engineer, but as a driver if I like a feeling I get driving I might buy what ever it is if I don't like the way it feels I won't buy and if it was mine I would try what I have seen work and if it did not I would go buy a new one. I would trade the problem in.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I stay that is fairly true on anything other than the JL. I was of the opinion a Jeep doesn’t need a stabilizer at all and never ran one on my 04 Lj with a Metal Cloak lift and 35’s drove It like I stole it and never had any issues. The JL has a design issue and it’s causing a harmonic which starts with a shimmy and will eventually turn into a full blown death wobble. Jeep knows it, I have had 20+ conversations “off the record “ with some of the engineers, I have sent them my boxes off my Jeep to get looked at. They have redesigned the box 6-7 times? I don’t know I lost count, and they keep going back and changing the stabilizer……..the easiest way to get rid of a harmonic vibration is to absorb it.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I stay that is fairly true on anything other than the JL. I was of the opinion a Jeep doesn’t need a stabilizer at all and never ran one on my 04 Lj with a Metal Cloak lift and 35’s drove It like I stole it and never had any issues. The JL has a design issue and it’s causing a harmonic which starts with a shimmy and will eventually turn into a full blown death wobble. Jeep knows it, I have had 20+ conversations “off the record “ with some of the engineers, I have sent them my boxes off my Jeep to get looked at. They have redesigned the box 6-7 times? I don’t know I lost count, and they keep going back and changing the stabilizer……..the easiest way to get rid of a harmonic vibration is to absorb it.
JL steering is a non issue with the revised steel steering box.

Those with DW are usually:

- Something has become loose
- Something has worn out (ball joints or a TRE)

In both cases a SS can mask it until it becomes bad enough it can’t.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
JL steering is a non issue with the revised steel steering box.

Those with DW are usually:

- Something has become loose
- Something has worn out (ball joints or a TRE)

In both cases a SS can mask it until it becomes bad enough it can’t.
I have installed 3 of the new steel boxes on mine, they still suck.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Could it just be the road imperfections that just come across? or is it visible wobble?
It was basically an Rt-Lt oscillation of the wheel for 10 seconds or so after hitting certain bumps or transitions on the highway
Sponsored