Sponsored

At the end of my rope of steering issues.***FIXED!****

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Yes, I can’t stand these BFG’s. I have been looking at the Toyo AT3’s. I honestly have heard nothing but good things about all the Toyo tires.
I replaced KM3 with Nitto Ridge Grapplers and have never looked back. I tell myself why didn’t I try Nitto sooner. Lol.
I went to 3 Tractor supply trying to get the bolts/nuts and apparently they are popular size around here because all three were out of them. Also stopped at an Ace with no luck. Crazy.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I replaced KM3 with Nitto Ridge Grapplers and have never looked back. I tell myself why didn’t I try Nitto sooner. Lol.
I went to 3 Tractor supply trying to get the bolts/nuts and apparently they are popular size around here because all three were out of them. Also stopped at an Ace with no luck. Crazy.
I had issues with BFG KM3’s on my Lj, never would balance right, always had a shimmy at 45-50. I replaced them with a set of Coopers and it was night and day. I swore I would never go with BFG again. Then my tinnitus went through the roof and I had a hard time driving in any car let alone something with tire noise. When I bought the JL I was able to drive it with the factory BFG’s so I figured I would give them a shot. They all have a ton of weight on them and you can see the runout when they are on the balancer. I seriously think the tires will get rid of the last little bit I have after this last change. I’m keeping my fingers crossed the AT3’s are somewhat quite.

I still have the upper bushings from rock jock but I’m debating on if I am going to put them in or not.

The reason I think the tires are the last fix is I drove the Jeep through the service bay at one of our shops, it’s about 250’ long and concrete.Just letting it idle through the whole rig shimmy’s from side to side the entire way.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
My shimmy issue started while on KM3 and persist with the Nitto. Wheels were changed at the same time and always have used the factory lugs. The KM3, typical of MT that gets wheeled was always having balance issue. Nittos so far have been great with balance. I look forward to reporting back my findings after I find a new bolt for the frame side track bar mount. Axle side is the Syngery steering stabiliser relocation track bar bolt.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
My shimmy issue started while on KM3 and persist with the Nitto. Wheels were changed at the same time and always have used the factory lugs. The KM3, typical of MT that gets wheeled was always having balance issue. Nittos so far have been great with balance. I look forward to reporting back my findings after I find a new bolt for the frame side track bar mount. Axle side is the Syngery steering stabiliser relocation track bar bolt.
You could buy a 4” bolt and get yourself 2 nuts, thread one on the bolt, Mark it to length then cut it. Round the ends of the thread where it was cut then unscrew the nut. It will clean up the threads and then just use the second nut for final installation.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I was installing new shocks today so I went ahead and stopped at Ace, picked up a 9/16x3'' (same length as stock) shouldered, fine thread, trackbar bolt for the axle side. The factory flag nut worked with it. I also installed the old stock mopar lug nuts. I was using some black spindle type that never seemed to contact the seats as well as the stock mopar nuts. Steering wobble is gone so yeah... something seemed to work!

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg
Isn’t the factory flag nut metric?

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Isn’t the factory flag nut metric?
Threaded on fine and torqued to spec. I purchased a nut but since the flag worked I used it.

My steering twitch is def gone now. I just did some testing of the new shocks (which are incredible btw) and the little wobble/twitch is gone. It was either the shocks, trackbar bolt or lug nuts. Wish I'd done one at a time to narrow it down but since I had the front end apart figured I'd knock it all out.

These shocks completely transformed the Jeep. Set them to 3 and took a ride, then up to setting 5 on the way home. I had to watch my speed. The jeep feels underpowered now.. amazing what good shocks can do. The fox 2.0s are going on facebook marketplace lol.

Last edited:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
I was installing new shocks today so I went ahead and stopped at Ace, picked up a 9/16x3'' (same length as stock) shouldered, fine thread, trackbar bolt for the axle side. The factory flag nut worked with it. I also installed the old stock mopar lug nuts. I was using some black spindle type that never seemed to contact the seats as well as the stock mopar nuts. Steering wobble is gone so yeah... something seemed to work!

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg
those shocks are badass

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
those shocks are badass
What do you think make's them badass? The name? The fact that they're resi? RC isn't exactly synonymous with high end off road shocks, or high end off road anything for that matter.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
What do you think make's them badass? The name? The fact that they're resi? RC isn't exactly synonymous with high end off road shocks, or high end off road anything for that matter.
The RC shocks are actually made by Radflo for RC. They are a hell of a shock for the money.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The RC shocks are actually made by Radflo for RC. They are a hell of a shock for the money.
Interesting. All the RC stuff I’ve seen over the years has been pretty generic and some of it just really poor quality.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Interesting. All the RC stuff I’ve seen over the years has been pretty generic and some of it just really poor quality.
Agreed, but I did look pretty hard at these shocks before I went with the Fox DSC, in the end the only reason I didn’t go with them was the fact I could get the Fox tuned by Accutune. I know a few F-150 guys that have made “poor mans raptors” and are running the RC Vortex shocks, they beat these things harder than anything I have ever done to my rig and they have held up flawlessly. I’m not sure about rebuilding them down the line but out of the box they are solid from what I have seen.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Agreed, but I did look pretty hard at these shocks before I went with the Fox DSC, in the end the only reason I didn’t go with them was the fact I could get the Fox tuned by Accutune. I know a few F-150 guys that have made “poor mans raptors” and are running the RC Vortex shocks, they beat these things harder than anything I have ever done to my rig and they have held up flawlessly. I’m not sure about rebuilding them down the line but out of the box they are solid from what I have seen.
Yeah it doesn't make a ton of sense to spend the money on resis if they aren't easily tunable/rebuildable.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well.. I understand all the negativity about RC. I would have never considered anything from the brand, however after reading all stories I could find regarding them on other forums of the truck guys with their coilovers, I started to think they may be a good price point. I knew I wasn't going with falcon shocks, and rock krawler's new resi shocks are as costly as king and fox. Then I read a few positive stories on this forum and I started to think what the heck... maybe worth a shot? I was ready to hit the order button on some Fox DSC's but they were out of stock and no eta. I had a 4WP cc with 6 month no interest and bought the vertex's. They were at my door in 3 days.

One of the truck guys' coilovers had an issue after a year of ownership. RC sent him a new one with a return shipping label, no questions asked. So... a three year warranty which they obviously stand behind. Are they worth $1k more than a set of Fox 2.0's? I can honestly say HELL YEAH!

I just came up the mountain on setting 4.. just wow. Incredible shocks. I played with them some on setting 5 and it was a bit much for daily driving. 3 is a little too soft for *me* (another plus of having adjustable) 4 is the sweet spot it appears. It's like riding on double d firm titties :).

Now I can move on to getting this POS steering gearbox swapped out.. the rest of the Jeep is performing so very nice.. that steering box is the sour thing now.
Sponsored