Sponsored

At the end of my rope of steering issues.***FIXED!****

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
If you guys have a local Ace Hardware they’re a great source for hardware.
Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've noticed mine is more favorable as it's warmed up. Still don't like it, lol.

Did you have to open the holes on the brackets to get those bolts through?

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I've noticed mine is more favorable as it's warmed up. Still don't like it, lol.

Did you have to open the holes on the brackets to get those bolts through?
I did not have to open the holes, it was a pretty good fit. The axle side was definitely wallowed out some and the bolt was tight.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
This is a long ass thread, but did i see you guys mention there have been 4 members with the BFG KO2 in 315 thats having the same damn problem?
Because i just threw on some 315/17 on my Jeep!!!
had a '14 willys with the BFG's. never a single issue of death wobble ever.

had a '19 sport with the street type tires. after a bad braking one morning had terrible death wobble every time i hit a bump.

took to dealer. said it's fixed. it wasnt.

after a teraflex hd trackbar and synergy sector shaft brace, the DW was gone. permanently.
same tires the whole time...

Tires can exacerbate or trigger DW, but are not the cause. the main cause is the steering box end play. a good track bar and sector shaft brace will fix it.

if you lifted and caused the DW, you may need to reevaluate the lift. did you put a different pitman arm with the appropriate drop? or is it stock, and putting extra stress on the steering box?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
had a '14 willys with the BFG's. never a single issue of death wobble ever.

had a '19 sport with the street type tires. after a bad braking one morning had terrible death wobble every time i hit a bump.

took to dealer. said it's fixed. it wasnt.

after a teraflex hd trackbar and synergy sector shaft brace, the DW was gone. permanently.
same tires the whole time...

Tires can exacerbate or trigger DW, but are not the cause. the main cause is the steering box end play. a good track bar and sector shaft brace will fix it.

if you lifted and caused the DW, you may need to reevaluate the lift. did you put a different pitman arm with the appropriate drop? or is it stock, and putting extra stress on the steering box?
Drop pitman arms do nothing but induce bump steer unless the lift is typically 4+” and then you would need to also raise the track bar. A dropped pit arm changes the relationship of the angle of the track bar and the drag link. On a solid axel they need to be as parallel as possible to avoid bump steer during the arc of the suspension travel.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I was installing new shocks today so I went ahead and stopped at Ace, picked up a 9/16x3'' (same length as stock) shouldered, fine thread, trackbar bolt for the axle side. The factory flag nut worked with it. I also installed the old stock mopar lug nuts. I was using some black spindle type that never seemed to contact the seats as well as the stock mopar nuts. Steering wobble is gone so yeah... something seemed to work!

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I was installing new shocks today so I went ahead and stopped at Ace, picked up a 9/16x3'' (same length as stock) shouldered, fine thread, trackbar bolt for the axle side. The factory flag nut worked with it. I also installed the old stock mopar lug nuts. I was using some black spindle type that never seemed to contact the seats as well as the stock mopar nuts. Steering wobble is gone so yeah... something seemed to work!

Jeep Wrangler JL At the end of my rope of steering issues.***FIXED!**** unnamed

Jeep Wrangler JL At the end of my rope of steering issues.***FIXED!**** unnamed
Drove mine for a bit today also, still feels pretty good, I honestly think the lug nuts had something to do with it. You can see the very thin area that they were seated.

BEDD868D-E2A5-4578-99D4-EAA24392B8BA.jpeg

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Very well could be.. the stock mopar lugs def have more contact area with the seat.

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
I'm not saying lugnuts had nothing to do with, but I almost garentee it was the trackbar bolts. I have fought this on 3 ram trucks and replacing the bolts fix all of them. I also had death wobble on my jk. It was also warn out joints, but that is what happens when you run 37s on stick parts.

Sponsored

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
I had it happen to me with lug nuts years ago. I chased a shimmy for months until a guy mounting my wheels after a balance didn't like the looks of something. I hope that does it for you.

ETA: I also thought you had rustys track bar brace. I see now that was something else. That comes with a M14 x 2.00mm x 90mm for that end. Something I am thinking on adding next.

Last edited:

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
I was also going to mention I have yet to find a tire shop near me that has anything good to say about BFG tires for on highway use. I've only tried them twice and the things were junk in my opinion. Didn't last long and took a shitpot full of weight to balance. I run Michelin Defender ltx's on everything but my jeep. Sometimes you gotta sacrifice for looks.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was also going to mention I have yet to find a tire shop near me that has anything good to say about BFG tires for on highway use. I've only tried them twice and the things were junk in my opinion. Didn't last long and took a shitpot full of weight to balance. I run Michelin Defender ltx's on everything but my jeep. Sometimes you gotta sacrifice for looks.
I've run many different off road tires and BFG's have been some of the worse. Cooper STT Pros which started cupping and wearing unevenly, eventually sounding like you were flying a helicopter (that bad). Goodyear duratrac's (balance issues and very loud at about 50% treadlife) Goodyear Wrangler MT/R (balancing was impossible and very loud), Nitto trail grapplers (SUPER loud). I've owned two set of BFG Ko2's that came stock.. while quiet on road, any loose dirt or mud and they packed up, became roller skates. I'm now on my fourth set of Toyo MTs on three different vehicles. Never had a balance issue (some were so perfectly balanced they didn't even need weights), great offroad traction and they sound the same when new as they do at the wear bars... just a low, constant hum.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I've run many different off road tires and BFG's have been some of the worse. Cooper STT Pros which started cupping and wearing unevenly, eventually sounding like you were flying a helicopter (that bad). Goodyear duratrac's (balance issues and very loud at about 50% treadlife) Goodyear Wrangler MT/R (balancing was impossible and very loud), Nitto trail grapplers (SUPER loud). I've owned two set of BFG Ko2's that came stock.. while quiet on road, any loose dirt or mud and they packed up, became roller skates. I'm now on my fourth set of Toyo MTs on three different vehicles. Never had a balance issue (some were so perfectly balanced they didn't even need weights), great offroad traction and they sound the same when new as they do at the wear bars... just a low, constant hum.
Yes, I can’t stand these BFG’s. I have been looking at the Toyo AT3’s. I honestly have heard nothing but good things about all the Toyo tires.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything negative about toyo’s...other than they suck on ice, which is pretty much every mid tire. Nitto (toyo brand) makes good tires too.
Sponsored