Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I'm in a similar situation. I had no wobbles until I installed the Meralcloak 2.5" lift. I already had the MC Rocksport SS installed for a few months before the lift. After the lift and on the stock tires, I noticed a bit of a "nibble" in the steering wheel between 45 and 55 mph. Smooth otherwise. A few weeks later added 37's on beadlocks. That didn't help. Spent plenty of time under there re-torquing. Set my toe to 1/16" in, replaced the drag link and tie rod for MC bits, added a Rustys steering brace, added balancing beads...still seem to have a wobble at right about 53 mph. I have noticed there is a tendency to want to start a death wobble episode a slower speeds too but it corrects pretty quick. The wobble almost feels like it's trying to decide if it wants to pull left then changes it's mind and wants to go right, then back again. Almost like it's flighty (but not) or has a loose / dead spot (bit it doesn't). I haven't checked ball joints or unit bearings yet, but it's only got 8500 miles on it (2000 on 37's and lift).
I have never had the death wobble and the steering box has been upgraded on my 2019JLU.
The JL is better then my JK was in steering but the new steering box has a lighter steering feel too it.
My JL is stock and to be honest, I like it that way, I have EVOC training which makes my driving a little sickening to my wife.
Most of my driving is on the road, what I like about the Jeep is that, if thing get bad, it will make it.
So getting back to the Jeep wobble and lift kits, do you think that's why Jeep has strength the frame of the 392, not just for the 392 but also for it's lift kit?
Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
OP, Interesting the adjustable S.S. being the issue. Do the instructions mention any warnings about dialing in to much resistance? God knows I seldom read the instructions.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
OP, Interesting the adjustable S.S. being the issue. Do the instructions mention any warnings about dialing in to much resistance? God knows I seldom read the instructions.
I’m not 100% sold it is completely gone. It absolutely made a change in the right direction. I am going to leave it as it sits for now and put a few miles on it. The theory behind it makes a lot of sense, I have had a few other times I made some changes and it drove great for a day or so and then came back. But fingers crossed it may be OK. And no I don’t recall anything stating in the instructions about making it too stiff.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My JLR has many of the mods. you have done to the front steering. Mine is not a DD’r and the last time out it seemed to have a mini wobble. After about 20 miles it was gone. I was thinking my issue might be cold tires but I’m not sure. 30+ thousand and no previous issue. Next time out I’ll be watching the tire temp. readings. I hope you have it figured out. There are so many variables. There is a lot of merits to leaving a rig stock, haha.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
My JLR has many of the mods. you have done to the front steering. Mine is not a DD’r and the last time out it seemed to have a mini wobble. After about 20 miles it was gone. I was thinking my issue might be cold tires but I’m not sure. 30+ thousand and no previous issue. Next time out I’ll be watching the tire temp. readings. I hope you have it figured out. There are so many variables. There is a lot of merits to leaving a rig stock, haha.
Yeah, that’s one of my concerns about it, temp has definitely made some difference in the way it drives. I have been trying to keep track of outside air temp and tire pressure when it’s driving good and also when I get the shimmy. Last night it was the coldest it’s been, 12* and the tire pressure was 28 and never came up. Typically I start at 28 cold and after driving it goes to 29/30. These Jl’s seem to be very picky about everything being just right. Coming from my last Jeep, 04 Lj running all metal cloak suspension and 35’s this thing is a picky bitch. But when it doesn’t act like a fool it drives sooooo nice!

Sponsored

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I know it seems wierd but 7 is pretty high caster. I know some people like that but the big Jeep shops here that know what they’re doing don’t push it that high.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I know it seems wierd but 7 is pretty high caster. I know some people like that but the big Jeep shops here that know what they’re doing don’t push it that high.
On the JL? 7 is on the high end but definitely not too high in my opinion. 6.5 is the sweet spot for me.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I had the same issue with my 18 BUT no lift and I changed everything to top notch parts in the front suspension, Synergy, SteerSmarts Teraflex damper and it still wandered all over the road even with the stock 33"s, the same with my BFG KO2` that were road force balenced just like the 33`s were. I took everything off and still had a wandering issue, constant steering correction needed on a straight road and it didn't matter what the road was constructed of. I was one of the ones who actually broke the rules and broke the nut lose on my steering box and tightened up the backlash and it was better but still not right. So besides hearing it a Jeep thing from the service manager who was a total ass, they has changed the factory track bar and steering stabilizer 4 times and 2 steering boxes, several attempts at changing the caster to no avail. I even put EVO trailing arm brackets on it and no help at all
I met up with PSC at the Jeep invasion in Wildwood NJ and they opened my eyes to it being the new electric/hydraulic system. They suggested that I have the dealer change the module ,pump and wire harness one at a time and see what fixes the problem, The kit to convert to their system that is full hydraulic was around $2500 but I just paid $ over 55k for a brand new Rubicon so why should I put a major void on my warranty and pay $2500 more for something that should have been done right by Jeep. My Jeep went back to the dealer and it was theirs to deal with, I got all of my money back and bought a Raptor which is an awesome truck with the power. It is nice to know that you can get moving if you want. Om my 16 had installed a Ripp supercharger on it and it was like having a v-8 under the hood. Now that Jeep is selling their overpriced and unknown priced 392 Rubicon it is something I may consider depending on the price.
But if your having issues with a 20 that makes me a little nervous, I would check that you have the latest steering box and steering program and I would even go as far as braking the nut loose on the steering box and tighten it up a 1/4 turn. There was a YouTube video on how to do it but it was pulled down, there still may be some

Call PSC and talk to them, if they think you could get away with just the pump or the new pump and steering box.

I had driven a JLUR Rubicon with the same issue as mine and helped him install the kit with the steering box and every problem went away AND just to see we left the steering stabilizer off and it was golden, putting it back on was the logical thing to do, but they are not made to solve major steering issues, talk to Fox or Teraflex about that

https://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehi...-jeep-jl-big-bore-xd-steering-gear-21963.html

https://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehicle-specific-products/jeep-temp/18-19-jeep-jl/psc-sk500.html

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
So I put about 100 miles on it today and I would say the shimmy/wobble is 99.9% gone. There was a slight wandering feeling over some back county roads that were pretty washboarded but over a great improvement. Today was the first day in a few months my ass didn’t pucker when I seen a bump in the road coming up doing 50+. I haven’t made any additional adjustments to the stabilizer, I feel I may get the rest of it out by going possibly one click in either direction. I was actually enjoying driving it today so I didn’t want to mess with it.

Thanks for the suggestions and support, thinking about it last night it made sense what was happening, I have been doing this type of thing a long time and sometimes you just need a different perspective to get your head around something.

Sponsored

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the suggestions and support.
[/QUOTE]
Please keep us updated in a few months or so....if still pretty good or anything changes. Thx

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So I put about 100 miles on it today and I would say the shimmy/wobble is 99.9% gone. There was a slight wandering feeling over some back county roads that were pretty washboarded but over a great improvement. Today was the first day in a few months my ass didn’t pucker when I seen a bump in the road coming up doing 50+. I haven’t made any additional adjustments to the stabilizer, I feel I may get the rest of it out by going possibly one click in either direction. I was actually enjoying driving it today so I didn’t want to mess with it.

Thanks for the suggestions and support, thinking about it last night it made sense what was happening, I have been doing this type of thing a long time and sometimes you just need a different perspective to get your head around something.
:clap:.....good job brother, way to hang with it! You might of been at the end of your rope but you tied a knot in the M...r F.....r and hung on, love it! :rock:

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Jeep&Dogs, so your adjustable S.S. was adj. too firm and causing your slight wobble ?

GregorioJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I'm inclined to believe richk. I've removed/reinstalled a few of the steering boxes and one of them a bolt broke before clicking in torque. I'm glad it did because that shouldn't happen with a 12.9 18mm bolt.
Sponsored