Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
So I figured I would update this thread because there were a few people following along with the saga. 😎

I finally had a chance to replace the “new cast iron box” that was installed back in September, 2 months prior to the lift and and when My drama started with another “new cast iron box”. I truly figured I was just throwing another $250.00 down the drain. This was the last attempt I was going to make and then the Jeep was going back to stock.

I pulled the box out of the Jeep on Thursday night and I measured the over center rotation torque on the box that came out of the Jeep and the new box getting ready to go in the Jeep. The box that came out was on the low side of the acceptable range at 2.1 in lbs. the new box going in was at the high side of 5.0. I installed the box and followed the FCA bleeding procedures which is top of the fluid, apply 20-25in of vacuum and hold for 3 minutes. Then release the vacuum, top off the fluid, start the Jeep, turn lock to lock 3 times, top off fluid and done.

In my opinion it didn’t take much fluid so I figured I would repeat the process, well 6 times later it finally stopped sucking in fluid. The last time I did it I pulled 25in of vacuum and let it sit over night.

Friday morning I buttoned everything up and was actually afraid to drive it thinking it could be worse and it could even be the last time I drove the damn thing. I pulled out of the shop and immediately noticed the steering was very different, it was actually very tight, pulled out on the road and was actually shocked how different the Jeep felt. I ran it down one of the main drags and actually ran it up to 90 before I really even realized I was going that fast, mind you we were also having 30+ mph winds yesterday. There was zero dead spot, zero wandering and at 80 in the wind I could 1 finger it down the road.

Next up my favorite bump......I hit it about 50, and the wheel barley moved, pretty much what I would expect a solid axel lifted Jeep with heavy 35’s would do. Holy shit I think I might have fixed it...... I drove it around for a few hours yesterday, and actually couldn’t wait to take it out today just to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. Hit just about every crap road I could find and it drove the way I would expect it to drive. Actually I am going to go as far as to say out of all the Jeeps I have owned, and helped build, it’s probably the best driving and handling Jeep I have had to date, never in a million years would I have thought I would say that about this thing. But considering all the upgrades on this thing it actually should be.

So,2 sets of tires and rims,2 steering systems, 2 sets of ball joints, one set of steering knuckles,2 sets of springs, 2 sets of shocks, hundreds of alignment settings, balancing tires 10 times, 2 different track bars, the thing drives good. 😎

I really want to pull the box apart that came out of the Jeep to see if anything looks out of place, but I have reached out to a few contacts I have at FCA and am trying to get them to reimburse me for the cost of the new box at least, I don’t know if they will want it back or not.

So today she got a bath, next it’s time to start looking at some dates for my annual Ouray/Moab trip in the fall. 😎

589217E8-D611-4FDB-87AF-5A11D225E5EB.jpeg

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
So I figured I would update this thread because there were a few people following along with the saga. 😎

I finally had a chance to replace the “new cast iron box” that was installed back in September, 2 months prior to the lift and and when My drama started with another “new cast iron box”. I truly figured I was just throwing another $250.00 down the drain. This was the last attempt I was going to make and then the Jeep was going back to stock.

I pulled the box out of the Jeep on Thursday night and I measured the over center rotation torque on the box that came out of the Jeep and the new box getting ready to go in the Jeep. The box that came out was on the low side of the acceptable range at 2.1 in lbs. the new box going in was at the high side of 5.0. I installed the box and followed the FCA bleeding procedures which is top of the fluid, apply 20-25in of vacuum and hold for 3 minutes. Then release the vacuum, top off the fluid, start the Jeep, turn lock to lock 3 times, top off fluid and done.

In my opinion it didn’t take much fluid so I figured I would repeat the process, well 6 times later it finally stopped sucking in fluid. The last time I did it I pulled 25in of vacuum and let it sit over night.

Friday morning I buttoned everything up and was actually afraid to drive it thinking it could be worse and it could even be the last time I drove the damn thing. I pulled out of the shop and immediately noticed the steering was very different, it was actually very tight, pulled out on the road and was actually shocked how different the Jeep felt. I ran it down one of the main drags and actually ran it up to 90 before I really even realized I was going that fast, mind you we were also having 30+ mph winds yesterday. There was zero dead spot, zero wandering and at 80 in the wind I could 1 finger it down the road.

Next up my favorite bump......I hit it about 50, and the wheel barley moved, pretty much what I would expect a solid axel lifted Jeep with heavy 35’s would do. Holy shit I think I might have fixed it...... I drove it around for a few hours yesterday, and actually couldn’t wait to take it out today just to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. Hit just about every crap road I could find and it drove the way I would expect it to drive. Actually I am going to go as far as to say out of all the Jeeps I have owned, and helped build, it’s probably the best driving and handling Jeep I have had to date, never in a million years would I have thought I would say that about this thing. But considering all the upgrades on this thing it actually should be.

So,2 sets of tires and rims,2 steering systems, 2 sets of ball joints, one set of steering knuckles,2 sets of springs, 2 sets of shocks, hundreds of alignment settings, balancing tires 10 times, 2 different track bars, the thing drives good. 😎

I really want to pull the box apart that came out of the Jeep to see if anything looks out of place, but I have reached out to a few contacts I have at FCA and am trying to get them to reimburse me for the cost of the new box at least, I don’t know if they will want it back or not.

So today she got a bath, next it’s time to start looking at some dates for my annual Ouray/Moab trip in the fall. 😎

Jeep Wrangler JL At the end of my rope of steering issues.***FIXED!**** 589217E8-D611-4FDB-87AF-5A11D225E5EB
That is fantastic news! Now you get to enjoy the fruits of your blood, sweat and tears! Thanks for the update! Go have some fun!

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
@Jeep&dogs can you post how you test the " over center rotation torque" on a box for us? it would be helpful for those of us following your path to victory

also i am wondering if the bleeding procedure from FCA may be part of the issue. i know air in brake lines can make them spongy. maybe their bleeding procedure needs to be addressed

Sponsored

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport

Jeep Wrangler JL At the end of my rope of steering issues.***FIXED!**** 589217E8-D611-4FDB-87AF-5A11D225E5EB
Where did you find a steering box for $250? Everything I have seen is over $600

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
Someone at FCA really needs a boot up thier azz. You shouldn't be able to pull 3 boxes off the self and all 3 be that different. Before they spend $$ on putting a charging station in the middle of the damn desert, they might want to get this box consistent.

FYI - if you decide to put the rings on those wheels, make sure you run the die they supply in the holes before bolting up. They do have machine burrs and you will snap a bolt if ya don't.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
FYI - if you decide to put the rings on those wheels, make sure you run the die they supply in the holes before bolting up. They do have machine burrs and you will snap a bolt if ya don't.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up.....they have been sitting in the boxes in the garage waiting to see what the outcome was of this. Now I need to decide if I want to keep them silver, powder coat them black, or paint them the color of the jeep. 😎

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
The other interesting thing I noticed during this was the new bolts that are required for the cast iron box. They actually have a second set of threads up by the shoulder. That’s quite a bit of extra machine work just for shits and giggles. So two things, they found something that was in the parts bins that just happened to work for this application or I’m wondering if the 2021 has a different boss that is in the frame the bolt goes through and it threads into the frame for more support. with as much as I have seen the box flex I would not put that past them to have modified that on the new frame and not tell anyone.

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The other interesting thing I noticed during this was the new bolts that are required for the cast iron box. They actually have a second set of threads up by the shoulder. That’s quite a bit of extra machine work just for shits and giggles. So two things, they found something that was in the parts bins that just happened to work for this application or I’m wondering if the 2021 has a different boss that is in the frame the bolt goes through and it threads into the frame for more support. with as much as I have seen the box flex I would not put that past them to have modified that on the new frame and not tell anyone.
Im going with option #2.

Wheel Rings. I used VHT wheel paint off amazon. No issues. I roughed them up a little with fine grit sandpaper (can't remember the grit) and worked perfectly.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Im going with option #2.

Wheel Rings. I used VHT wheel paint off amazon. No issues. I roughed them up a little with fine grit sandpaper (can't remember the grit) and worked perfectly.
Thats the best part about doing training for a body shop group.......I drop them off at a shop in the morning, tell them what color I want and pick them up at the end of the day! Lol. I just checked and there was no tap with the rings. I got everything through Northridge if that matters. Guess I will be picking up a tap before I throw these on. I did see a few other posts about people snapping bolts, my guess is they didn’t chase the threads.

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats the best part about doing training for a body shop group.......I drop them off at a shop in the morning, tell them what color I want and pick them up at the end of the day! Lol. I just checked and there was no tap with the rings. I got everything through Northridge if that matters. Guess I will be picking up a tap before I throw these on. I did see a few other posts about people snapping bolts, my guess is they didn’t chase the threads.
I didn't have that boby shop connection lol. The guy who mounted my wheels and tires ordered mine. He got a better discount than I could, so not sure where he ordered. But after running that tap they went in like butter. It's only like 500 bolts, well it feels like 500 after u get done.
Sponsored