Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Well........I almost am afraid to say it, but I swapped out a set of Toyo AT3’s today and I’m pretty sure this thing is driving about as good as it’s going to ever get without swapping to IFS. The last of the shimmy seems to be taken care of with the tires. I still haven’t swapped out the upper bushings to the rock jock and I’m not positive I’m going to at this point. It drives great and handles fantastic, I actually found myself throwing it through some turns today probably faster than you should in a lifted Jeep but it felt very solid! I guess time will tell if it’s fixed for good but I feel I can drive it anywhere without worrying about it. 😎
Sponsored

Nick p

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover
Well........I almost am afraid to say it, but I swapped out a set of Toyo AT3’s today and I’m pretty sure this thing is driving about as good as it’s going to ever get without swapping to IFS. The last of the shimmy seems to be taken care of with the tires. I still haven’t swapped out the upper bushings to the rock jock and I’m not positive I’m going to at this point. It drives great and handles fantastic, I actually found myself throwing it through some turns today probably faster than you should in a lifted Jeep but it felt very solid! I guess time will tell if it’s fixed for good but I feel I can drive it anywhere without worrying about it. 😎
Congratulations on getting a decent driving Jeep back. Long may it continue!
I presume you went with 35s did you opt for 1250 or 1150 In the AT3s

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Nice! Congrats! I'm staying away from the rock jock upper bushings based on advice given to me by a guy who wheels jeeps hard for a living. I won't go into further details, lets just say his advice is good enough for me,

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Nice! Congrats! I'm staying away from the rock jock upper bushings based on advice given to me by a guy who wheels jeeps hard for a living. I won't go into further details, lets just say his advice is good enough for me,
Care to PM me what the reasoning was? I drove it today to one of my shops in Indy, it was about a 250 mile round trip......when I left my house it was 36. My shimmy was back, by the time I got there it was in the upper 50’s and it was driving good again. Mid 60’s on the way home and it was good o the way home. Something doesn’t like cold temps.....

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Care to PM me what the reasoning was? I drove it today to one of my shops in Indy, it was about a 250 mile round trip......when I left my house it was 36. My shimmy was back, by the time I got there it was in the upper 50’s and it was driving good again. Mid 60’s on the way home and it was good o the way home. Something doesn’t like cold temps.....
Funny you would say that.. it's been in the 60's here the past few days. A snowpocalypse is headed our way tomorrow so we'll see if mine returns.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Funny you would say that.. it's been in the 60's here the past few days. A snowpocalypse is headed our way tomorrow so we'll see if mine returns.
It was a joyful 24 hours at Least! Lol! Back to 5 gallons of gas and a flare! I forget do you have the new cast iron box or the aluminum one?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yeah by all means share.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It was a joyful 24 hours at Least! Lol! Back to 5 gallons of gas and a flare! I forget do you have the new cast iron box or the aluminum one?
I'm still on the aluminum AE box. I can only imagine if it gets better with the iron one. It's so much improved now with the new shocks and the trackbar bolt/stock lugs. The increased damping and rebound control doesn't mess with the steering as much. I can basically let go of the wheel and send it over rough sections and the wheel doesn't flinch. I'll get around to taking it in for the TSB but I'm pretty thrilled with everything now.

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
Well Sh*t!

My limited knowledge would say rubber and/or oil (shock ect) would be subject to cold. But thats kinda a no brainer. U have it in a garage I think. Not like it's sitting outside.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Well, I have made it out to the shop last night and will spend some time out there today also. A few observations to start.

1. The track bar bolts are smaller than the bushings in the track bar. Both the factory and the synergy bolt. The 9/16 hardware fits right in the sleeve.

2.There is some signs in both brackets that the bolt holes are opened up like it has moved.

3. The lug nut engagement on the taper of the wheels is minimal and I’m wondering if they are not seating 100%

60C16341-8042-4163-AFEB-67C0C262A47E.jpeg

73F3D032-0441-4A15-B9A1-56C525D94299.jpeg

E707D159-C239-470F-B7A1-07880C99C8B9.jpeg

1C3B5755-5096-4936-A110-14EC36BC87CC.jpeg
Did you swap both bolts? Frame side and axle side? Might have to run to ace hardware and find a pair of bolts and nuts for my jeep then.
Are we able to use the stock flag nut on the axle side?

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I cannot recommend that 🤫 lol. buy the nut too..and a lock washer.
Yeah I figured lol. I’ll swing by ace next week and find the appropriate flag nut and nut for the frame side.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've noticed my wobble seems a bit more civilized with the uptick in temps, but the lower speed oscillation (pre-death wobble) is pretty persistent.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I've noticed my wobble seems a bit more civilized with the uptick in temps, but the lower speed oscillation (pre-death wobble) is pretty persistent.
Same, good news is when I light it on fire it should drive good at least until it burns out! 😂

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
My next experiment is going to be swapping out gear boxes. I have a cast iron box out of a 21 that totaled. There was surprisingly a lot of play in the sector shaft over center adjustment. I played around with it on the bench and made a few adjustments. It feels good on the bench, I might try installing that and see if it makes any difference. My Lj had a shimmy and it cleaned it up when I put the Red Head box on it. At this point I don’t have a lot to loose
Sponsored

Last edited: